"Cambridge SoundWorks MusicWorks® Center Section" vs. Panasonic SL-CT470 and SRF-59?
May 28, 2002 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Gluegun

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi, I am wanting to upgrade from using high quality portable sources with my speakers and headphones to using a less portable, more integrated solution...

I am thinking of this:

http://www.hifi.com/store/category.c...wke&type=store

But would that be high enough sound quality to be an upgrade from the CT470? What about the modded SRF-59? Would this piece of electronics actually be a downgrade? It has a lot of useful features, and I want to know if "better sound" is one of those features...

May 29, 2002 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 9
I haven't heard the Cambridge Soundworks unit, but I doubt the radio section will beat a modded SRF-59. The CS unit probably uses a cheap digital tuner, while the SRF-59 uses a killer analog tuner. When I got my SRF-49 (unmodded), I was very impressed by just how "coherent" and unfatiguing it was. The thing is pretty powerful, too; it has no trouble with the Etymotic 4S.

On the other hand, the Cambridge Soundworks unit lets you attach an external antenna. If you do this, it may sound better than the SRF-59.

Could you say a few words about the mod you did to the SRF-59? Was it worth it? In what ways did the sound improve?

May 30, 2002 at 2:11 AM Post #4 of 9
I have the Cambridge Soundworks 300 System with this center section.
I bought a refurbished unit at Ebay. HiFi sell a lot of those very cheap at Ebay, you can buy this unit WITH the speakers for the same price you'll pay for the unit by itself at their site.
The speakers are not bad but the CD center is the weak part of the system. It sends alot of hiss to the speakers. I tried connecting my Sony D25s to the speakers and got about the same sound quality but without the hiss. HiFi replaced my Cd center because of this hiss but the second one was the same.
I never tried the headphone out though, or the line out with an headphone amp. I can try it if you like and tell you what I think.

Here is a link to an Ebay auction for the system ending tomorrow.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1356294713

The reserve price is around $140. no one will fight over this because their are alot of them every week, just try to raise the bid in $1 increments from $140 until you'll get the reserve price.
no matter what, it's worth this price. Its sounds alot better than any boombox or minisystem in this price range.

May 30, 2002 at 3:12 AM Post #6 of 9
I tried the headphone out with my HD600.
It sounds really laid back and flat, and I had to raise the volume to maximum to hear a decent volume.
I tried the Tone buttons. On the Jazz Tone button it sounds better, more mids, and a little more bass. The Rock Tone button has too much bass and sounds bad.
It's pretty decent with the Jazz Tone, but I think my D25s phone out is better (I can't compare them because my D25s is at work, i can bring it home tomorrow and try to compare).
The mini Line out sounds exactly like the headphone out and I don't have the hiss I have with the speakers (probably a bad cable). The line out is affected by the volume control and the Tones buttons because it is connected to the subwoofer which has the amplification but not controls and the speakers are connected to the subwoofer outs (you don't have regular speaker out from the CD Center). You also have RCA outs but I never used them.

I can't try it with an amp as I don't have one right now. My new Melos will arrive at Saturday and I can try it then. It will be interesting to try the Melos as a preamp to the this powered speakers.

May 30, 2002 at 3:20 AM Post #7 of 9
RCA OUTS!!!

I am curious about anything that sends out as "un messed up" line level signal as possible, WITHOUT any of the rest of the speakers, amplifiers, anything... how are the RCA outs into...

a headphone amp and then headphones?

an integrated amp and then speakers?

I want to plug in self-amplified speakers that can use either RCA or 1/8" plug, and I *ASSUME* that RCA would be the highest quality...?

May 30, 2002 at 4:11 AM Post #8 of 9
I'm looking at the manual now.
Those RCA are labeled TAPE OUT. and you have a mini out which is labeled MAIN OUT.
I don't know what that means about the quality of each of it.
This unit functions as a preamp for the powered speakers. If you won't use the Tone buttons then it is an un messed up line out.

But I'm not sure it will be an upgrade from your CT470.
I never compared my D25s to CT470. But I think that the D25s is better than this unit. Again, I can compare my portable CD with the unit tomorrow for you.

BTW, the tuner is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back