Cambridge DACMagic, anyone? (THREAD II)
Dec 26, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #347 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverBlade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a question..

I'm almost ready to buy the Dacmagic, but I was wondering does the Dacmagic make low-bitrate mp3's (128kbps) sound worse, or better, then before? I have a lot of them and trying to find higher-quality mp3's of those songs is an impossible task.

I'm sure it's not impossible if you're willing to buy the song. You can find CDs of pretty much anything if you're willing to order online.

Dec 26, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #348 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fun fact: You can't have two optical inputs hooked up at the same time, it has to alternate between coaxial and optical ... I know, it sucks.

Do you believe in jitter?

What? Really?

Dec 26, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #349 of 645
Quote:

does the Dacmagic make low-bitrate mp3's (128kbps) sound worse, or better, then before?

I only have a few 128K files but they all sound better with the DacMagic - much more dynamic. Obviously they're not as detailed as ALAC files but I can't honestly say I notice any artefacts.

Dec 26, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #350 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only have a few 128K files but they all sound better with the DacMagic - much more dynamic. Obviously they're not as detailed as ALAC files but I can't honestly say I notice any artefacts.

This is type of answer I was. I was worried about higher-end equipment being able to pick up the compression or artifacts of the low-bitrate mp3's. Thanks.

Dec 26, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #351 of 645
That's a fair worry.... Seems to me that higher end equipment sounds better usually but you can tell the difference between the sources more apparently. So most of the time files will sound better, and the Dacmagic isn't that high end and sterile to sound worse with lower bit rate files. Some may say that the HD800s would suffer in this way but at that level you are listening to a $1400. headphone that is very detailed not a $400. dac upgrade from a soundcard.

Love my dacmagic, currently hooked up to my TV-Mid-fi speaker system to decode the Sat input, or I can plug in my laptop if i have it over there instead of the CD player->xdac.

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #352 of 645
Quote:

Just a question..

I'm almost ready to buy the Dacmagic, but I was wondering does the Dacmagic make low-bitrate mp3's (128kbps) sound worse, or better, then before? I have a lot of them and trying to find higher-quality mp3's of those songs is an impossible task.

A DACmagic would be a huge waste here IMO. Music files form a part of your source too, and the DAc can't get blood from a stone. You will bottleneck your sound at 128, and the dac won't be able to do much with it. You'll hear how poor many 128 can sound (even if you threw in a $1K headphone to listen on) and that's about it.

I can't agree with the poster that says the DM can make 128s more dynamic, most of my 128s sound flat, and lack much of the dynamic range of higher bitrates in direct track/bitrate comparison, when I got the DM. I only bought a few 128s anyway, so with my CDs, I re-ripped the 128s I put on my PC.

As for not getting the files, this is why so many people still buy CDs - you pay for lossless audio, and get to rip your own bitrates. Download quality is variable. If you want to improve your audio, then consider the purchase of equipment your ground zero, and buy CDs of better quality mp3 from here on.

Jan 1, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #353 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A DACmagic would be a huge waste here IMO. Music files form a part of your source too, and the DAc can't get blood from a stone. You will bottleneck your sound at 128, and the dac won't be able to do much with it. You'll hear how poor many 128 can sound (even if you threw in a $1K headphone to listen on) and that's about it.

I can't agree with the poster that says the DM can make 128s more dynamic, most of my 128s sound flat, and lack much of the dynamic range of higher bitrates in direct track/bitrate comparison, when I got the DM. I only bought a few 128s anyway, so with my CDs, I re-ripped the 128s I put on my PC.

As for not getting the files, this is why so many people still buy CDs - you pay for lossless audio, and get to rip your own bitrates. Download quality is variable. If you want to improve your audio, then consider the purchase of equipment your ground zero, and buy CDs of better quality mp3 from here on.

I largely agree here. 128 bit rate is terrible for mp3s. 320 sounds good on regular equipment, but you'll want lossless codecs if you get DacMagic or any DAC for that matter. Get a larger hard drive and rip away. Going from 128kps mp3s to lossless will be a revelation for you.

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #354 of 645
I heard about Cambridge Audio's DACMagic power supply unit recall yesterday for the first time while visiting the company's website and I immediately checked my PSU. Sure enough, it was cracked and the top half lifted right off.

I completed CA's replacement form and got an e-mail this morning saying they are only replacing them in the UK and EU and are advising "US customers to contact their dealer to obtain a replacement PSU free of charge, under the terms of the warranty."

I e-mailed my dealer, Wild West Electronics, this morning and am awaiting a response.

In the meantime, I've found posts from other U.S. customers reporting the same mode of failure with their DACMagic PSUs.

I've also been looking, without success, for a replacement PSU I can pick up from RadioShack or the like. I'm not interested the upgraded PSUs mentioned here.

Can anyone point me toward an adapter that will work with this unit?

Anyone in the U.S. been successful in getting a replacement from Cambridge or their dealer?

I'd like to get my DACMagic up and running again, but I don't really trust this PSU now.

I supposed I could superglue it back together and keep a watchful eye on it until I figure out a replacement.

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #355 of 645
I got my DACMagic from someone in Hong Kong, so different voltage for the psu. Any power supply within the rated specs will work, I got mine at a local electronic surplus store for less than $10, so it shouldn't be hard to track one down.

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #357 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by McPanse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard about Cambridge Audio's DACMagic power supply unit recall yesterday for the first time while visiting the company's website and I immediately checked my PSU. Sure enough, it was cracked and the top half lifted right off.

I completed CA's replacement form and got an e-mail this morning saying they are only replacing them in the UK and EU and are advising "US customers to contact their dealer to obtain a replacement PSU free of charge, under the terms of the warranty."

I e-mailed my dealer, Wild West Electronics, this morning and am awaiting a response.

In the meantime, I've found posts from other U.S. customers reporting the same mode of failure with their DACMagic PSUs.

I've also been looking, without success, for a replacement PSU I can pick up from RadioShack or the like. I'm not interested the upgraded PSUs mentioned here.

Can anyone point me toward an adapter that will work with this unit?

Anyone in the U.S. been successful in getting a replacement from Cambridge or their dealer?

I'd like to get my DACMagic up and running again, but I don't really trust this PSU now.

I supposed I could superglue it back together and keep a watchful eye on it until I figure out a replacement.

Really? My PSU was cracked too and I had to buy a new one. I never dropped it so I still do't know what caused it to crack.

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #358 of 645
My psu was also cracked. Well it more or less disintegrated when I took it out of the socket to go get it replaced.

It must have been a plastic problem since it just went extremely brittle.

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #359 of 645
I got a replacement PSU a long time ago, maybe even before they were fixed but my problem was the isolator ball-there was a short at that point. Other than that no problems here, happily.

Mar 4, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #360 of 645
A quick update on the PSU situation. Shortly after posting yesterday I heard from Wild West Electronics and they sprung into action. Got confirmation from Cambridge Audio's U.S. distributor this morning that a new PSU will ship today.

Good customer service from everyone around.

Cambridge Audio's quality control? Not so much.

But they're definitely not the first otherwise good company to ship faulty power adapters. Apple, for example, had a fairly widespread problem with MacBook Magsafe adapters running hot and catching fire.

So comforting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back