Cambridge DACMagic, anyone? (THREAD II)
Nov 15, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #331 of 645
A lot of XLR->RCA adaptors are designed to be plugged into the inputs of amps, not the outputs of sources. They have the -ve phase shorted to ground (pin 3).

Plugging one of these into the XLR output of the DacMagic is putting an excessive load on the NE5532 op-amp that is driving the -ve phase, which is also providing half of the signal for the OP275 that is combining the two phases for the RCA.

That is why the +ve phase of the XLR (pin 2) sounds fine but the RCA doesn't.

What you are describing is exactly what I'd expect to happen.

I made my own adaptors and left pin 3 floating. Maybe you can perform some surgery on yours (or snap off pin 3). At least test continuity between pins 1 & 3 to confirm a short.

You want pin 1 to ground of RCA, pin 2 to signal of RCA, pin 3 unconnected.

Hope that helps!

Glenn

Edit: you won't have damaged anything by shorting pin 3, by the way.

Dec 14, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #333 of 645
Hi,

I just received the the DacMagic today. I've been listening to my music through the Headroom Micro Amp and iBasso D2+ Boa. Both using a really cheap RCA to mini ic. I'm not ready to make any type of eveluation yet as it's way to soon. But I have a question. I have a netbook I'm using as a music server, and am wondering since it only has USB out, if a USB to SPDIF converter is really needed? Ultimately the entire system will be used with a Gilmore Lite I have on order from Justin. How much tangible difference is there than if just use the USB output from the computer to the USB input on the DAC compared to using a USB to SPDIF converter? Is it worth the added expense for the converter and then the cables?

Notebook (.wav music in iTunes) > USB ic >DacMagic > RCA ic > Gilmore Lite > headphone

Notebook > USB ic > Converter > SPDIF ic > DacMagic > RCA ic > Gilmore Lite > headphone

Thanks,

Ross

Dec 15, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #334 of 645
I had a very expensive converter that didn't make a huge difference with the Dacmagic. With my current set up it does but the usb input works fine on the DM from my standpoint.

Dec 15, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #335 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by tylernm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I narrowed the problem down a bit. It seems when you have cables plugged into both XLR and RCA jacks you get the distorted bass on the RCA, even if the other end of the XLR isnt plugged into an amp. I think there is some sort of jack sensing that engages the XLRs circuit path. I took out the XLR cables and used just the RCA, and the RCA's bass sounded fine.

Long story short, don't use both types of connections simultaneously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by endless402 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yup i have the same problem. weird bass distortion on rca's if i have the xlr's connected

Have not been following this thread too much lately when I came across these problems using both outs. I have been using both outs of my DM for months, connected to two headphone amps. I never really paid any mind to maybe there might be an issue. So, after reading this I checked and I have no probs at all using RCAs while my XLRs are connected and vice versa. I went back and forth between them and no distortion or any of these issues.

I also only use one amp turned on at a time. Could it be when both outs are active (speakers and headphones, I guess) that these probs occur?
Well, endless402 stated that even if the XLRs were just connected this would occur.

This is weird...Thanks again for the heads up and making me check it out...

BTW, I use Hosa GXF-132 xlr adapters, if that matters any...

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #336 of 645
Used the RCA and XLR output concurrently. No issues with distortion.

Dec 17, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #337 of 645
Hi, i Would like to buy one of these to use with my m-audio AV40 speakers. I would also like to buy a headphone amp for my headphones aswell.

will this dac be able to run both of them with out disconnecting one or the other each time?

my pc has a digital coax socket as well as usb.

Thanks

Dec 17, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #338 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonclarke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, i Would like to buy one of these to use with my m-audio AV40 speakers. I would also like to buy a headphone amp for my headphones aswell.

will this dac be able to run both of them with out disconnecting one or the other each time?

my pc has a digital coax socket as well as usb.

Thanks

Indeed you can. I believe the AV-40s have two sets of inputs, one being balanced. You connect the balanced outs on the Dacmagic to the balanced inputs of the AV-40s with these cables For only $6.04 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Premier Series XLR Female to 1/4inch TRS Male 16AWG Cable - Gold Plated - 6ft | XLR Female to 1/4 inch Male, then you connect the RCA outs of the DAC to the RCA ins of your amp...

Enjoy

Dec 22, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #339 of 645
Hey guys I want your input on this: I might get a DAC that can hook up on many different devices (game systems, CD players, etc). Do you think this can be a good DAC for the price?

I was asking it because at my flea markets you see tons and tons of CD Players being sold by the cheap (like $20 a pop). I was wondering if I get a cheap one with toslink output and DacMagic it would that make a huge difference?

I know using this will make a huge different for the current gen of video game consoles.

I wish I can use my current DAC for more things, but it is just a computer DAC that can do 24/192 (noting wrong with that considering the price that I paid for it).

Dec 23, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #340 of 645
^ not a bad idea

not all cd transports are the same. motor vibrations, laser, conversion into SPDIF, all different. that being said, it'll most likely be better than the internal dac

i'm currently using a nec multispin as my transport but i dont listen to cds that often anymore.

Dec 23, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #341 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by endless402 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ not a bad idea

not all cd transports are the same. motor vibrations, laser, conversion into SPDIF, all different. that being said, it'll most likely be better than the internal dac

i'm currently using a nec multispin as my transport but i dont listen to cds that often anymore.

Well if using toslink it is just ones and zeros right? I mean people are buying cheap DVD players for their transports nowadays.

Dec 23, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #342 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperDuel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys I want your input on this: I might get a DAC that can hook up on many different devices (game systems, CD players, etc). Do you think this can be a good DAC for the price?

I was asking it because at my flea markets you see tons and tons of CD Players being sold by the cheap (like $20 a pop). I was wondering if I get a cheap one with toslink output and DacMagic it would that make a huge difference?

I know using this will make a huge different for the current gen of video game consoles.

I wish I can use my current DAC for more things, but it is just a computer DAC that can do 24/192 (noting wrong with that considering the price that I paid for it).

fun fact: You can't have two optical inputs hooked up at the same time, it has to alternate between coaxial and optical ... I know, it sucks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperDuel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if using toslink it is just ones and zeros right? I mean people are buying cheap DVD players for their transports nowadays.

Do you believe in jitter?

Dec 23, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #343 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fun fact: You can't have two optical inputs hooked up at the same time, it has to alternate between coaxial and optical ... I know, it sucks.

Really, damn. Got to do what you got to do. :p

Quote:

Do you believe in jitter?

Damn it the jitter.

But really this DAC is tempting for many experiments.

Dec 26, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #344 of 645
Just a question..

I'm almost ready to buy the Dacmagic, but I was wondering does the Dacmagic make low-bitrate mp3's (128kbps) sound worse, or better, then before? I have a lot of them and trying to find higher-quality mp3's of those songs is an impossible task.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back