Cambridge DACMagic, anyone? (THREAD II)
Oct 21, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #301 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by brown274 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well my laptop has SPDIF out. If I have to spend $100 for the converter + $450 (dacmagic)= $550, I would rather just get the V-DAC for $300 since I have heard that they are pretty close to each other. DACMagic might sound a bit better than the V-DAC, but I bet it don't sound $250 better.

The DACMagic has SPDIF input already, no need for the converter.

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #302 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DACMagic has SPDIF input already, no need for the converter.

Thanks, I just though they were saying that it was better to use usb > SPDIF instead of SPDIF > SPDIF

Oct 21, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #303 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsplice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FauDrei, would you say the price of the Ref1 is worth the upgrade over the DacMagic? I currently own a DacMagic and thought that it sounded amazing, but I haven't heard much better.

Let me repeat: If the rest of your setup is balanced and/or leaning toward "hi-end" - I would say go for it. In all other cases DAC-3 DV is the highest I'd go.

If I had to "rebuild my whole setup on a budget" from scratch, I'd start with A-GDs 19mk3 DAC and their C-2C (upgraded) headamp. I'd also kindly ask A-GD designer/owner, to install me ACSS (CAST) outputs on DAC and the same inputs on headamp. By using this I/O combination you bypass DAC output and headamp input stage and gain further SQ from the combo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brown274 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well my laptop has SPDIF out. If I have to spend $100 for the converter + $450 (dacmagic)= $550, I would rather just get the V-DAC for $300 since I have heard that they are pretty close to each other. DACMagic might sound a bit better than the V-DAC, but I bet it don't sound $250 better.

If you have SPDIF on your laptop, you can go both routes: you can connect DacMagic via USB and via SPDIF. You can even compare between the two and use the one you prefer. If you are happy with SQ of one/both inputs - stop there - you need nothing more.

The hi-quality USB to SPDIF converter is advised just to people who want to squeeze further SQ from their computer transport.

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #304 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by FauDrei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The difference is small and it is huge in the same time.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I went for A-GD Reference One (Ref-1). If we oversimplify it - it should be a balanced version of their DAC-3 DV that I mentioned in last post. I would not bother you with DacMagic/Ref-1 technical and/or aesthetic differences: see/read for yourself...

Ref-1vsDacMagic.jpg

If you are just an occasional listener and/or the rest of your setup does not follow SQ wise - DacMagic shoud be (and is) good enough: it is clear, detailed and it has good dynamic range. There are also few cheap and easy tweaks that improve it a notch or two. It greatly benefits when fed through good USB to SPDIF converter (Musiland, M2Tech, VALAB) instead of his own USB input.

Put a good symphony recording through DacMagic and the chances are that you will be pleased with the reproduction.

Put the same recording through Ref-1 and the chances are that you will be sitting in front of the orchestra.
icon10.gif

It is not "oh, I've never hear THAT before!" - DacMagic does the details well too. It is rather different perspective of the same picture: piano is pianoforte and not pianino, violins are wooden and not electric instruments, cymbals are not dIgItIzEd, the performes are not sitting in just two or three chairs in front of you... Ref-1 is much, much better in fooling you that you listen to the real thing. It extends somewhat lower and higher then DacMagic, not much though. I would say the capability to effortlessly present subtle dynamic differences and "ambient cues" are the greatest differences. Even from properly ripped and encoded lossy files. With it's capable DSP/reclocking features it is also less susceptible to bad SPDIF transports (although it benefits from good ones).

On the other hand... It is huuuge (see picture) and will not fit anybody's desktop. You really DO NOT need the balanced version if the rest of your setup is not balanced too. It has just one BNC/RCA SPDIF input. It is expensive (at least for me).

Does the Ref-1/DacMagic SQ difference justify their price difference? In my case and with my setup - yes. YMMV.

Well FauDrei, let me put it this way; PS Audio just lost a sale...i want an Audio GD DAC-3SE! Thank you so much for sharing your results and introducing me to this product, now i won't rest until i have one
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #305 of 645
Well I have to say, I have Dacmagic and I can say the same thing about the upgrade I did. I was going to get the Ref-1 but after hearing that and a lower version of what I ended up with, I went with this......but not for the weak at heart, the mods that I got alone cost more than the Ref-1, and what is it, a supercharged PSaudio DLlll. I like my Dacmagic but this thing puts it to shame. Soundstage is amazing, like you are really there, makes the Dacmagic sound flat when a/bing. But there is a catch, even with the PSaudio DLlll reduced price, with the mods it costs 6X as much. I wanted the final product and to be done with my search and after Canjam and coming home to my set up that I thought was pretty darn good and being totally discouraged, I decided to do it.

Oct 22, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #306 of 645
FauDrei
Let me repeat: If the rest of your setup is balanced and/or leaning toward "hi-end" - I would say go for it. In all other cases DAC-3 DV is the highest I'd go.

FauDrei, another question before i pull the trigger on a DAC-3VE or DAC-3SE; your earlier post compared the DacMagic against the top of the line DAC from Audio-GD, the Ref One, and you described some of the improvements over the DacMagic as being marginal. This has me wondering if getting the DAC-3VE/SE, which is a few steps down from the Ref One is still worth it over the DacMagic? I would say my system is leaning towards hi end, however not balanced. I would be using the DAC primarily to feed an integrated amp & full range speakers. Thanks.

Oct 22, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #308 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I posted this in elsewhere, but Hey, this is THE Dacmagic thread.
IMG_2437.jpg

That's a beautiful tube amp...what make is it?

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #309 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by vlach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FauDrei, another question before i pull the trigger on a DAC-3VE or DAC-3SE; your earlier post compared the DacMagic against the top of the line DAC from Audio-GD, the Ref One, and you described some of the improvements over the DacMagic as being marginal. This has me wondering if getting the DAC-3VE/SE, which is a few steps down from the Ref One is still worth it over the DacMagic? I would say my system is leaning towards hi end, however not balanced. I would be using the DAC primarily to feed an integrated amp & full range speakers. Thanks.

Had to admit - you've made me rethink my words and reevaluate everything from your perspective. I'd hate to persuade you in something based just on my current enthusiasm and not so recent audio memory.

Therefore I pulled out XLR and CAST interconnects and connected just "plain" RCA cables from Ref-1. This way Ref-1 outputs just 2 of it's 4 channels like 3SE and 3DV do. As for headamp, I've used A-GD's Roc and GS Solo (2008 Green pre-SRG). Not to overcomplicate, I listened just to K-701 (SE mode).

Listened for a while through Roc, then swapped DACs. Listened to DacMagic. Both DACs sound good. It is just that Roc clearly pictured DacMagic's music limits - sounds great, but you are listening to the machine. Through Roc, Ref-1 just wasn't there: no harshness, "boxines", "digititis"...

OK, Roc is also A-GD's baby - it should shine with their DACs... so let's try Solo...

Listened DacMagic for a while, swapped to Ref-1... Before getting Roc I thought Solo was "monitor like". Turned out that it is on quite warmer side of "monitor" compared to Roc. Anyhow, Solo mellowed a bit both DACs but the differences were still there. Immediately audible and again in favour of Ref-1 (which, again, performed it's refined "disappearing act").

Sooo... after this I am pretty sure I've put it right: I still firmly believe 3DV or 3SE will be an upgrade to your DacMagic (3SE, 3DV, 9mk2, Ref-2 and Ref-1 use same chassis, PS-es, regulators... even input stages and receivers are the same between some of them).

Is this SQ upgrade worth $700 or $900? IMO - yes.

Which one to get? If you have good low jitter SPDIF output to feed your DAC (good CD player, Musiland Monitor USx xx, M2Tech hiFace, VALAB Teralink-X...) go for 3SE. Otherwise squeeze additional $200 and get 3DV - you will be able to play with PLL, 8x, 4x, 2x or NOS oversampling, stopband attenuations, dithering... via internal dip switches and in the same time be well protected from supermarket grade jittery CD transports and/or "of the shelf" 16/48 USB to SPDIF converters.

Of course, all this is just IMO... and the decision is only yours.
icon10.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #310 of 645
Quote:

Had to admit - you've made me rethink my words and reevaluate everything from your perspective. I'd hate to persuade you in something based just on my current enthusiasm and not so recent audio memory.

Therefore I pulled out XLR and CAST interconnects and connected just "plain" RCA cables from Ref-1. This way Ref-1 outputs just 2 of it's 4 channels like 3SE and 3DV do. As for headamp, I've used A-GD's Roc and GS Solo (2008 Green pre-SRG). Not to overcomplicate, I listened just to K-701 (SE mode).

Listened for a while through Roc, then swapped DACs. Listened to DacMagic. Both DACs sound good. It is just that Roc clearly pictured DacMagic's music limits - sounds great, but you are listening to the machine. Through Roc, Ref-1 just wasn't there: no harshness, "boxines", "digititis"...

OK, Roc is also A-GD's baby - it should shine with their DACs... so let's try Solo...

Listened DacMagic for a while, swapped to Ref-1... Before getting Roc I thought Solo was "monitor like". Turned out that it is on quite warmer side of "monitor" compared to Roc. Anyhow, Solo mellowed a bit both DACs but the differences were still there. Immediately audible and again in favour of Ref-1 (which, again, performed it's refined "disappearing act").

Sooo... after this I am pretty sure I've put it right: I still firmly believe 3DV or 3SE will be an upgrade to your DacMagic (3SE, 3DV, 9mk2, Ref-2 and Ref-1 use same chassis, PS-es, regulators... even input stages and receivers are the same between some of them).

Is this SQ upgrade worth $700 or $900? IMO - yes.

Which one to get? If you have good low jitter SPDIF output to feed your DAC (good CD player, Musiland Monitor USx xx, M2Tech hiFace, VALAB Teralink-X...) go for 3SE. Otherwise squeeze additional $200 and get 3DV - you will be able to play with PLL, 8x, 4x, 2x or NOS oversampling, stopband attenuations, dithering... via internal dip switches and in the same time be well protected from supermarket grade jittery CD transports and/or "of the shelf" 16/48 USB to SPDIF converters.

Of course, all this is just IMO... and the decision is only yours.
icon10.gif

Thank you VERY much for taking the time & effort to evaluate both DACs according to my context. You are in the unique position of owning the DAC i have AND the DAC i am considering, therefore i greatly appreciate your perspective.
When i read that "they both sound good", that is actually a HUGE compliment for the DacMagic given the company it's in! It even has me thinking if i am at the juncture of diminishing returns already...

Oct 23, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #311 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by vlach /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you VERY much for taking the time & effort to evaluate both DACs according to my context. You are in the unique position of owning the DAC i have AND the DAC i am considering, therefore i greatly appreciate your perspective.
When i read that "they both sound good", that is actually a HUGE compliment for the DacMagic given the company it's in! It even has me thinking if i am at the juncture of diminishing returns already...

One of my great worries when getting into this headphone stuff was jumping from one rig to another to another etc. I've settled on the DacMagic for now and it would take quite a bit for me to move from this price point for the value you get with this unit.

Oct 23, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #312 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodoath /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of my great worries when getting into this headphone stuff was jumping from one rig to another to another etc. I've settled on the DacMagic for now and it would take quite a bit for me to move from this price point for the value you get with this unit.

I certainly see your point. I was also VERY pleased with DacMagic/Solo combination.

It is just that that God damned Roc headamp was too tempting... price in Solo range, built like WW2 panzer (and sized as one as well), with enough power to drive your hairdryer and, above all, - four class A channels for balanced wannabes...
icon10.gif

Needless to say, once I got it (and properly burned-in the s*itload of it's caps) it acted like open window directly to my sources... I was simply served with unambiguous presentation of the machine limits of my DACs... person.
mad.gif

200909Audio-GDRoc008.jpg

And that was it.

We all implicitly know that there are better setups than the ones we have. But when the explicit proof of that slaps you - you loose a substantial layer of satisfaction that your gear provide. I just knew I'd be, sooner or later, connecting something better to those current signal transferring sockets that Roc has. I've just decided to make it sooner (...and regained bigger fatter layer of satisfaction
wink.gif
).

Ignorance is bliss - in some cases it really IS better not to know... So enjoy your setup and don't let anything or anyone peel your audio satisfaction...
beerchug.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #313 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodoath /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I couldn't agree more. Now that I've settled in with the DacMagic and Mapletree Ear+HD, I've stopped getting the upgrade-itis bug.

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #314 of 645
Quote:

I certainly see your point. I was also VERY pleased with DacMagic/Solo combination.

It is just that that God damned Roc headamp was too tempting... price in Solo range, built like WW2 panzer (and sized as one as well), with enough power to drive your hairdryer and, above all, - four class A channels for balanced wannabes...
icon10.gif

Needless to say, once I got it (and properly burned-in the s*itload of it's caps) it acted like open window directly to my sources... I was simply served with unambiguous presentation of the machine limits of my DACs... person.
mad.gif

200909Audio-GDRoc008.jpg

And that was it.

We all implicitly know that there are better setups than the ones we have. But when the explicit proof of that slaps you - you loose a substantial layer of satisfaction that your gear provide. I just knew I'd be, sooner or later, connecting something better to those current signal transferring sockets that Roc has. I've just decided to make it sooner (...and regained bigger fatter layer of satisfaction
wink.gif
).

Ignorance is bliss - in some cases it really IS better not to know... So enjoy your setup and don't let anything or anyone peel your audio satisfaction...
beerchug.gif

Lovin' the careful storage of your HD600s right there.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back