Camb. D500SE still a good choice for SR225?
Feb 21, 2007 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kpp80202

Head-Fier
In doing my research here, it appears that a better source is more important than better amping when using Grado SR225's. Assuming this is true, is the Cambridge Audio D500SE CD player a good match for these headphones? I found one for $175 in like new shape. Let me know, thanks.

FYI--I'm looking into getting a budget but nice amp at some time... I salivate over the X Can v3.

Feb 21, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpp80202 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In doing my research here, it appears that a better source is more important than better amping when using Grado SR225's. Assuming this is true, is the Cambridge Audio D500SE CD player a good match for these headphones? I found one for $175 in like new shape. Let me know, thanks.

FYI--I'm looking into getting a budget but nice amp at some time... I salivate over the X Can v3.

What they say is true... but I'm thinking you probably want to get something more high end or you'll regret.

Feb 21, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 4
What would you suggest that is higher up the ladder, yet still in a good price/perfomance ratio? I'm open for suggestions--I have been out of the loop for a few years and don't know what's what for CD players, and am new to the whole headphone thing. A sampling of artists in heavy rotation for me is: Sarah McLachlan, John Lee Hooker, Nickelback, 10,000 Maniacs, Lyle Lovett, Tori Amos, Evanescence, and a little mild electronica/rap/baroque for flair.

Feb 21, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpp80202 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would you suggest that is higher up the ladder, yet still in a good price/perfomance ratio? I'm open for suggestions--I have been out of the loop for a few years and don't know what's what for CD players, and am new to the whole headphone thing. A sampling of artists in heavy rotation for me is: Sarah McLachlan, John Lee Hooker, Nickelback, 10,000 Maniacs, Lyle Lovett, Tori Amos, Evanescence, and a little mild electronica/rap/baroque for flair.

i have never heard the Cambridge Audio D500SE but i know someone who has it and he described the sound as too "digital-sounding" meaning lean and bright. I would recommend the Eastsound CD Player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back