Calling the lunatic fringe - isolation feet on headamps
May 26, 2005 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

1UP

1000+ Head-Fier
Do isolation feet have absolutely any effect on a headphone amp, assuming the amp is in a normal listening environment (i.e. on a table with no noise/vibration apart from the user with their headphones on)?
smily_headphones1.gif

If so, how, why? Maybe it depends on the amp?

May 26, 2005 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 13
For tube amps yes, but for solid state I would have to say no.

By responding to this post does that mean that I am one of 'the lunatic fringe'?
redface.gif

May 26, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 13
I isolate and damp everything right down the the internal circuit board level and it is my opinion this is a good thing and when taken systemic has audible effects.

Problem is the "isolation" feet sported on most audio gear are no more than a gimmick,a cosmetic add-on to look "cool" and no more.This adds to the cost and the hi tech look but as far as actually doing anything good....nope !

SS Headphone amp ? Small squishy feet and float the pc board internally plus isolate the transformer and any other parts having a large "mass" from the chassis but to add huge isolation feet just becasue of the "look" is not only dumb but can cost as much as the amp and that is compound retardation

just my opinion man,don't beat me up
wink.gif

May 26, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 13
Capacitors are microphonic. Power supplies have mechanical vibration and resonance’s- add and subtract the fundamental frequency. Vibrating wires and leads generate noise.

So it’s not easy to just write off issues with out defining the configuration or component in question. Some components are better built than others are. Some components might benefit more from isolation or coupling than others.

Where’s the component placed in relation to vibration caused by other components?

It’s best to keep an open mind and try different approaches for your self and see what works for you. I don’t think there are many blanket statements that apply to all components.

Mitch

May 26, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
SS Headphone amp ? Small squishy feet and float the pc board internally plus isolate the transformer and any other parts having a large "mass" from the chassis...

I like this idea...do you use SquishyFeet™ instead of regular pcb standoffs? Where do you get them?

May 26, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

I like this idea...do you use SquishyFeet™ instead of regular pcb standoffs? Where do you get them?

actually anywhere that sells hardware/small parts both online and locally.

Depending on how much of a gap I need I use either soft rubber grommets,sometimes stacked,or even the chassis feet for small cabinets that have the tiny screw hole in them.

Being made of a soft material you can just "JAM" a larger bolt through the opening if needed.
The cool thing is I can adjust the "cranking pressure' and make the "spring" have a lot or a little play depending on what I am cranking down.
This also makes it easy to level the whole board assembly by selective pressure at the corners (can't have uneven boards !!!!
biggrin.gif
).

Even exterior chassis feet I usually go for "squishy" and not spikes even though they look cool and are flashy.Throw in a wood block for mounting the assemblies and I have a good "tone" (joke on the "mother of tone" and Audio Consulting sites even though I fully agree with most of the theories)

Quicky story-I tried to make some cool (FREEE !) chassis feet by squirting tub and tile sealer silicon caulk into an ice cube tray but the results were not as good as I had hoped.They looked like pure crap and I could never get all the "feet" to come out the same exact size becasue the filling was never exact so some would be taller than others.
This would not be a problem if I made say,oh I dunno,maybe a thousand and then sorted to size but jeez ! I only wanted THREE !
tongue.gif

So scratch that thought and file it under "never again"
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68

Squishiest out there:
http://www.pandathumbaudio.com/

Highly recommended. Cheap & effective. Safed me from having to buy a "real" rack instead of my enourmous floating IKEA shelves construction. You'll always have to try such stuff out for yourself though, audible "success" in anti-vibration treatment is depending on your setup & components a lot.

May 26, 2005 at 9:01 PM Post #10 of 13
I had panda feet under my player and noticed no difference so I got rid of them. They were quite shuishy. :p

Biggie.

May 27, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #12 of 13
I listened to music where the amp had isolation feet. I noticed a slight difference but not enough for me to buy them. Try them out first if you can to see/hear if you think it's worthwhile

May 27, 2005 at 11:58 AM Post #13 of 13
Well I tried some Baby Booties and Tenderfeet from Herbie's Audio Lab and they do indeed have a beneficial effect on everything I've tried them with - my headamp, its PSU, and my Bel Canto DAC2. YMMV!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back