Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
Jun 6, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #721 of 1,332
Ruh-Roh...the vintage speaker bug bit me again! I picked up a pair of @1981 B&W DM-16's. Got them home, and did a complete clean-up: Howard's Restor-A-Finish on the cabinets, light soapy water on the lower grilles (which are around the base), and Meguiar's #40 on the rubber surrounds, which were very dirty. Overall they cleaned up nicely! They sound quite good although I need to listen more to get the full measure of them. I was shocked that they are taller than my Pioneer S-1010's, and are almost as heavy at 75 pounds each.

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #722 of 1,332
Yeah... 
size]
 someone got BIT!

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #723 of 1,332
man i love B&W's style.  they look super clean and that wood! beautiful. 
excellent score Skylab.
its not a bug, its just that speakers are freaking awesome.  the soundstage and imaging is what i fell inlove with.  then when you get a detail moster, ohh, headphone like detail with speaker imaging.  heaven.  maybe maybe maybe maybe awesomer than headphones?
whats the process like cleaning up fabric speaker grills?  ive never attempted.  My KLF's grills def need it for when they go up for sale or into storage.
just finished up the cabs and replacing the drivers today.  all sewn up, just in time for my chorus to wipe the floor with them...
brought out the forte's too.
chorus smoked them both.

BUT BUT BUT, the chorus have about 250$ worth of Ti diaphragms in them.  so, i'll have to give the others a fair shot with the Ti before i make a final decision.

Jun 6, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #724 of 1,332
Yup, that's a fact...speakers are awesome! And these are proving to be VERY good! In fact, better than I expected. Not sure why I didn't expect more, but they are really very good. They don't have as deep a bass as any of my big Pioneer speakers, but the minds are better than any of my Pioneers except the DSS-9. Very balanced.

And yeah, they do look very nice! I'm such a sucker for walnut-clad speakers :xf_eek:

Rawr, for cleaning grilles, first I vacuum them thoroughly. Then damp a towel with warm soapy water. Usually does the trick.

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #727 of 1,332
Nice! I bet those sound good.

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #730 of 1,332
Wow, been away for a couple of days and great finds popping up everywhere lol. Well, I do have a good excuse though. Just brought home a new baby boy. At 38 I thought I was done, so now I'm definitely done.
biggrin.gif

TheAnalogman those are some great looking bookshelves, and Skylab those look absolutely stunning!! Definitely a big thumbs up on those. Congrats all!!
beerchug.gif

Jun 7, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #731 of 1,332
Thanks Moody, and a BIG congrats to YOU!!!! :D

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #733 of 1,332
Quote:
Wow, been away for a couple of days and great finds popping up everywhere lol. Well, I do have a good excuse though. Just brought home a new baby boy. At 38 I thought I was done, so now I'm definitely done.
biggrin.gif

TheAnalogman those are some great looking bookshelves, and Skylab those look absolutely stunning!! Definitely a big thumbs up on those. Congrats all!!
beerchug.gif

CONGRATS on your own contribution. 
size]

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #734 of 1,332
Congrats moodyrn!
A future audiophile no doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back