Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
May 26, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #691 of 1,332
eek.gif
 I'd best chase "Craig" down-the-street! 
evil_smiley.gif

biggrin.gif

May 29, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #694 of 1,332
Those look like McIntosh XR-7 "Isoplanar Radiator" speakers to me. Yes? If so, Very cool!  They do look like a "project", though...

May 29, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #695 of 1,332
Lol, I should have known you would recognize them. I almost fell out my chair when these came up in my area. The previous owner told me his wife got mad and took a blade to the drivers knowing they were his most prized possessions(ouch).

Obviously all of four of the 12in bass drivers need to be replaced along with both of the 8in mid bass drivers. I got lucky and found two of the 12s and both 8s on eBay. Although they do need to be refoamed. I have that kit on the way too.

That leaves two remaining 12s. Can't decide whether to get them reconed for 90.00 or replaced to 350.00. All of the tweeters work, but one of the dome midrange is also blown too. I already have it in the mail to be repaired. I also have a mq107 coming too, which corrects the in room freq response and makes them flat all the way down to 20hrz!! It's going to be a very extensive project. But from what I know amount them, it will be more than worth it.

May 29, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #696 of 1,332
Those will be AWESOME when you get them all working.

If the magnets and voice coils are good in those 12" drivers, I would have them reconed.  Those magnets are absolutely awesome.

How cool!  I hope you will post progress pics as you go along.

May 29, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #697 of 1,332
Most certainly will. Thanks.

Oh year, those drivers weight a ton. They need a bit of cosmetic work as well. I'm in search of some grill cloth as well, I think I'm going to go with some from parts express. The cabinets have walnut veneers, but instead of being oiled, they covered them with a clear vinyl. That's both good and bad. The clear vinyl provides more protection than any clearcoat but but is a pain to remove to refinish.

I wouldn't even worry about it if the vinyl itself didn't have scratches on it. But on the positive side, the part I've been able to remove has revealed an untreated walnut veneer that looks brand new. Should look awesome after I get it all off and refinish them.

May 29, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #698 of 1,332
I bought grill cloth from Parts Express, it's nice.

Fun fun!!!

May 29, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #699 of 1,332
Quote:
Lol, I should have known you would recognize them. I almost fell out my chair when these came up in my area. The previous owner told me his wife got mad and took a blade to the drivers knowing they were his most prized possessions(ouch).

Obviously all of four of the 12in bass drivers need to be replaced along with both of the 8in mid bass drivers. I got lucky and found two of the 12s and both 8s on eBay. Although they do need to be refoamed. I have that kit on the way too.

That leaves two remaining 12s. Can't decide whether to get them reconed for 90.00 or replaced to 350.00. All of the tweeters work, but one of the dome midrange is also blown too. I already have it in the mail to be repaired. I also have a mq107 coming too, which corrects the in room freq response and makes them flat all the way down to 20hrz!! It's going to be a very extensive project. But from what I know amount them, it will be more than worth it.

Amazing, moodyrn! I would have never gotten close. Something from JBL was my first wild guess.
beerchug.gif

And poor fellow...

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned." - William Congreve, 1670-1729

May 29, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #700 of 1,332
Yeah, I felt really bad for him. Especially after he told me the whole fiasco ended leading to divorce. Another thing that's a bit surprising is he's also 50+ years old. So I guess drama really don't have an age limit.

May 29, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #701 of 1,332
O. M. G.
I came online today to ask if I should pull the trigger on a pair of XR-7's. I think I found my answer already. Long story short - fully working, recently refoamed, owner former mcintosh repair shop owner and also has XR-14's. Equalizer included.
Which (both?) should I get?
What's a fair price?
I'm willing to give them an audition at joining my setup, otherwise I'll pass them on to some other audio guy out there.

May 31, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #703 of 1,332
nice find moodyrn!
i picked up a project this week  as well.  Not intentionally though.  I was in a rush, had storms rolling in.  was in a borrowed vehicle trying to not get it hailed on.  1 frozen woofer and an oddly warped mid driver in mine and the rear cabinet panels were loose.  How i missed all of this i don't know.  just a reminder for me to SLOW DOWN

May 31, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #704 of 1,332
That's a lot of Klipsch there!!!! Cool.

May 31, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #705 of 1,332
nice find moodyrn!
i picked up a project this week  as well.  Not intentionally though.  I was in a rush, had storms rolling in.  was in a borrowed vehicle trying to not get it hailed on.  1 frozen woofer and an oddly warped mid driver in mine and the rear cabinet panels were loose.  How i missed all of this i don't know.  just a reminder for me to SLOW DOWN

Thanks. Good luck with your current project, I've never listened to a vintage klipsch I didn't "love". I can't say the same for their current stuff unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back