Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
Apr 20, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #661 of 1,332
i once heard of the police coming to tell a person to turn it down, he was wearing headphones. just keep an eye out for villagers with torches and pitchforks. hehe they look nice, sound better and can be driven with a tiny amp as long as you don't send a clipped signal.

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #662 of 1,332
Calipilot,
What model Klipsches are those? I need to find a pair for a second room and as I love my Cornwalls those look very interesting. (Cornwalls won't do very well on stools. :D ) This could be my new CL search mission.
Thanks,
Bob

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #663 of 1,332
A lot of speakers from that vintage had woven grills were nailed on. You can remove them carefully using automobile interior panel plastic pry tools.

My guess is it is a Henry Kloss design likely an old KLH or Advent. I had a similar looking pair. Could e a KLH model 6 or Mdel 17. Not a bright souring 2 way speaker but with decent mid bass punch , tonally pleasing but far from accurate. When solid state came out it was really harsh in HF. So these were a ok match. The larger tweeter beamed lower down in frequency and lacked sparkle....but being larger it played louder and lower giving better midrange clarity while rolling off harsh highs from the nasty near lifeless Sony receivers. , Also being efficient were good with a 20 watt receiver and had some bass that groups like the Beatles were lacking as well as groups like he Carpenters, John Denver, Bob Dylan etc....had. The LP s with pop music back then wanted more songs per side ..most songs were short, so cutting less bass in the grooves let groove pitch be tighter and allowed even poorly designed turntables' tone arms to track well. It's as if they ignored the RIAA Eq curve.Real bass for pop LP s came back strong with 45rpm 12" singles but that was not until nearly 1980". ( you could see the synthesized bass grooves for instance on a 12" Soft Cell Tainted love single) So speaker manufactures made speakers to try and put the dance eat back into music for those late 1960's to early 1970's cocktail parties. Ths was pre disco.

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #664 of 1,332
Quote:
Calipilot,
What model Klipsches are those? I need to find a pair for a second room and as I love my Cornwalls those look very interesting. (Cornwalls won't do very well on stools.
biggrin.gif
) This could be my new CL search mission.
Thanks,
Bob

They're the Heresys, first series (1957-1985). You could always move the Cornwalls to the second rig, then you'd have an excuse to get La Scalas or K-horns for the main rig 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I really want a pair of La Scalas.... 
frown.gif
 But for now, I'm definitely happy with the Heresys

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #665 of 1,332
They're the Heresys, first series (1957-1985). You could always move the Cornwalls to the second rig, then you'd have an excuse to get La Scalas or K-horns for the main rig 
very_evil_smiley.gif

frown.gif

I have looked at the K-horns and lusted over them or the La Scalas. I'm a bit short on space and they really need more room than I have. Now a set of the Hereseys to sit on top of my Cornwalls might be fun....

Thanks for the response and the pictures!

Apr 24, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #666 of 1,332
Quote:
Quote:
Calipilot,
What model Klipsches are those? I need to find a pair for a second room and as I love my Cornwalls those look very interesting. (Cornwalls won't do very well on stools.
biggrin.gif
) This could be my new CL search mission.
Thanks,
Bob

very_evil_smiley.gif

frown.gif

I too, want K-horns and/or La Scala's. Not sure how my new mate(s) will feel about speakers. Will see what the second half of '13 and 2014 looks like. I'm definitely ready to chase 'em but I don't want to pay for storage (the K-horns).

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #667 of 1,332
Not quite vintage, but almost there. This stereo system is actually my mum's, which she purchased in the late 80's. The Speakers are Wharfedale Delta 50's, and the components are all Yamaha; of which there is a tuner, CD player, cassette player and a graphical equaliser. I managed to find a 3.5 to RCA adapter cable, and was able to plug my Sansa Clip+ into one of the free channels. It's quite a nifty setup if you ask me :)

May 5, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #668 of 1,332
not trying to make this a Klipsch thread, found a set of Heresys in birch. These were made in 1980 so its the first iteration. Purchased from a woman in her 80s? Only played Nat King Cole (joking) but not abused.(serious)
Used some watco after a quick sanding. The horns are just about what you'd expect, present and forward. The 12 inch woofer you'd think there would be more air movement. Like most acoustic suspension speakers they will play a 30 Hz tone when placed against a wall; reduced level but present. This is unlike ported speaker which fall off quickly where the ported cabinet is tuned.
I always wanted the biggens but these fit nicely into a small room.

Planning to make some speaker stands but presently sitting on baskets.

and fini

this speaker has really grown on me. i guess its the horns; sharp details.

May 10, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #669 of 1,332
I'm looking at getting some older speakers, not sure if any of these count for vintage but if somebody knows anything about any of these models or brands and can tell me, that would be great.
I don't know enough about speakers to make any intelligent decisions. I have nothing but Paradigms for my main/HT system. That's all I have to compare to. I'm setting up a second system for all my vinyl. I have an Optonica SM and ST 1400 with my Strathclyde STD 305M and my Dual 1264 ( soon to add a 1019 to the fold ). Right now I just use my ATH-50s, Grado 325si, or Samson SR850 headphones but I will want speakers REAL soon and saw these up for sale. 
Paisley SPL-3000 - SPLs are 150$ mint condition and all original - Advent Legacy II - Advents are 100$ new foam on bass drivers and recapped with an upgrade kit from ebay- Clements 208di - Clements are 150$.
ANY advice or opinions. Thanks.

May 11, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #670 of 1,332
I used to sell Optonica in NYC in High school... now that is vintage, it was this store , Audio salon
owned by a weird guy Jim Kraznee on 2nd ave in Manhattan with the most abrasive sales style I have ever had the horror to witness.. For Japanese stuff it was better than most of mid fi -we called it poor mans Luxman.

I would seriously consider a non vintage speaker over your existing choices. I owned vintage Advents, (with the doped linen cloth surrounds and orange tweeters under some strange looking hard to remove grill) and while they have a sweet sound, they are far from resolving or accurate, and its just the mid bass that is musically involving. That doesn't mean I was not bummed out when they were stolen from my giant railroad flat apt by the maids wayward son, I just can't say I really enjoyed them. Their best use was adding fill at a loud party .

At $299 the few sets of Masterclass 2504 demo speakers from CEntrance are an affordable plunge into modern high end. Pair them with a fast 7" sub like a Scan Speak 18w/8545 and you have a punchy dynamic system .. If you want spend even less you could pair them with Peerless SLS which are laughably cheap. It won't play as loud, but they will be far more musically satisfying, ...than the Advents, which are just a party speaker.

Great vintage ..Quad - ESL-63 ESL-57, Magneplanar tympani (any model) , older infinity RS1, RS1-b , any of these coherent speakers driven with the right combination of modern gear easily offers hi-end sound as good as or in some cases surpassing the majority of what is currently available at 5-15. times the price depending on the speaker.

May 11, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #671 of 1,332
Yeah, but the JBL's aren't a vintage Japanese speaker. :D

If you want vintage JBL, then don't go halfway. Go full crazy with a pair of 4350's!

:D

se

Old JBL's give me a twinge, LOL.
They are awesome, don't think I could sneak them passed the Mrs though

My vintage audio kit is a pair of Leak 2020 (sandwich) Speakers, a Rotel RT222 tuner and a Pioneer SA-5300 integrated amp. My grandad has owned them all since new, they were entry level stuff at the time but for FM they kick ass. I have NEVER heard a better radio (To my ears.) and see no need to upgrade these as my go to radio listening gear....... DAB........ No thanks.

May 11, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #672 of 1,332
I used to have a set of JBL Paragons which were modified with more drivers. JBL bullet super tweeter some crazy midrange horn, a 12" mid bass, and a pair of 15" woofers per side, all plunked into 4 150lb each fiberglass cabinets. These were particularly sweet sounding, and though had horrible hiss from a JBL electronic crossover, were ultimately near high end in SQ and could play " blow you outta the f'ing room loud" and that was with 18 year old ears. We were living the MAXELL tape ad dream only on a larger scale with these as kids in boarding school- no parents to tell us to turn it down. Though we were suspended when we put them in the corners of our schools Gunn dorm upper windows at The Gunnery ...using the building as an acoustic horn, and 1600 watts we got complaints from 2 miles down the road. It was near perfect acoustic coupling ....the grass shook underfoot in the quad...only the large elephant size rock wasn't shaking- every window in the building was buzzing like mad. Our impromptu high school day dance lasted about 5 minutes ...,before the Dean of Students shut us down and confiscated our third set of speakers that semester.

My high school room mate bought them used for the ridiculously low price of $2500 in 1981 and I bought some 18" JBL twin loaded drivers in scoop bins.,, made a hell of a racket...louder than what we had at school...but it really sounded amazing. Very high quality crossover in those..never saturated at deafening levels. Timbre was the best I have ever heard from pro audio,(Andy Schulman (the guy who sold them) was the sound engineer for the Bottom Line jazz club in NYC where they made up the left channel ) but micro detail...gone. Fine to low micro detail........ at those volume levels who wants to hear a squeaky orchestra chair that sounds like Godzilla was leaning back in it anyhow at 135db?

I wish I knew who has those speakers now, trimmed in white fiberglass- they were the size of refrigerators .

May 18, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #673 of 1,332
Didn't get the Paisleys, Clements or the Advents - because I was given a pair of older speakers to play with for now.  They are - at least to me - a no-name.  I have to replace the tweeters in them and I was wondering if anybody knows or recognizes them.  On the back of the tweeter it says "Polydax" and underneath it - Made in France.  I will include pics.  Anyone have any clue to what they are or where they came from?????

Front without the tweet, 10" and 6"

Back with 10".

Strange little pinch type connects.  Push the button and put the wire through and it springs back pinching the wire.

May 21, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #675 of 1,332
Hey guys,
I've been offered a set of Kevek ES-10's and I can hardly find anything on them. Does anyone know how they sound or have them? Can you compare what they sound like to what I have? Also, what range should I expect to pay for them? I'm running a SX-1980 with HPM 150's, Sansui SP-5500x, and JBL L100's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back