Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
Mar 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #649 of 1,332
I can't do that either...... no permission to create attachments
EDIT: My bad here's what one looks like

So.... Any one have a clue who made these?

Mar 27, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #650 of 1,332
Those look like late 60's vintage.  As for who...no clue.

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #651 of 1,332
Quote:
I have an unusual problem. I don't know what brand my speakers are. I bought  them 2nd hand when I was 17 based solely on sound and price. I'm fairly sure they belong to the 70's based on build, size and sound (and the not-very-nice-looking fabric cone-cover), but they are sealed speakers with the backboard nailed down. I'm very happy with them, I love their sound even if the soundstage is a bit lacking. Any idea how I can find out? Thanks =)

EDIT: I bought them used from a store. I have no idea how many previous owners they had.

Nevermind.  Just saw that you posted photos.  :)

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #654 of 1,332
Hello again, hope I'm not being a nuisance here
I would really appreciate help identifying my battered and beloved old speakers, having bought them used based on budget and sound, and the shop I bought them from has been closed for a while now.

Here's what one looks like

So.... Any one have a clue who made these, and when?

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #655 of 1,332
They look sort of like the old Utahs.

I'm into Celestions,(Sl6 SI's), and vintage Polks.

I remember seeing something like your photos at a buddie's house, he resurrected them from a basement and cleaned them up, they were Utahs.
Late 60's early to mid 70's speakers... lot of them had that fabric screen on them. I think some of the old Pioneer speakers used that cover too.

Nothing inside them to give you a clue?

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #656 of 1,332

Nothing inside them to give you a clue?

The back is nailed down, and I'm afraid to remove the screen for fear I won't be able to put it back 
frown.gif

EDIT: If this is any help, the tweeters are on the upper left hand corner and are 6cm (~2.5 inches) wide including the fitting hole. The mid-conehas a 13.5 cm (~5.5 inches) diameter fitting hole and is on the right, slightly higher than the middle, and the hole for the bass driver is approx 27cm (~11 inches) across. The bass cone itself has got a whole bunch of holes in the middle of the dust cap, which has metal ring around it (brass I think), the mid-range has a grill dust cap also with a metal ring, and I can't get a good look at the tweeter, seeing how I gleaned this by shining a light through the screen, but the hole for the tweeter is too small to both shine a light, and look.

Dimensions: 60x40x22, (~23x15x8.5)
MDF with a "real-wood" cover

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #657 of 1,332
Here is a listing on ebay for some vintage Utahs, they have a similar look to them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Utah-Heritage-Speakers-Vintage-/171011092607?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item27d10e307f

Maybe that will help.

Good luck.

Apr 20, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #660 of 1,332
SPLs have climbed to dangerous levels... (seriously! 
eek.gif
)

I know, I know. They're supposed to go on the angled stands on the floor. Tried that, and I like these "stands" better 
biggrin.gif
. Spinning Dire Straits - "Love Over Gold" at the moment. If I turn the volume up more than halfway, they'll probably blow the windows out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back