Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
May 2, 2011 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,332

cifani090

Headphoneus Supremus
This thread was inspired by the great ***Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners*** to show all the great speakers out there that are vintage. Ill start off with my B&W DM610i and i will be soon adding a pair of Klipsch Heresy's in birch still looking for a good pair of vintage speakers. I have some crappy vintage Omega speakers currently

May 2, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 1,332
My wife won't let speakers in the house
frown.gif
  That's why I listen to headphones.  My neighbor gave my his Polk 5.1 system and my wife was OK with the small speakers, but she nixed the sub until I demonstrated it to her.  She's deaf and can only hear bass and she like the sound but I still had to hide it.  She hates the rear speakers even though they're only 8 inches by 4 inches.

May 3, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 1,332

Quote:
This thread was inspired by the great Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners to show all the great speakers out there that are vintage. Ill start off with my B&W DM610i and i will be soon adding a pair of Klipsch Heresy's in birch

I've a pair of Pioneer CS-99a's.

They're special to me because they were the speakers that were part of my first "real" stereo system that I bought back when I was 16, shortly after I got my first "real" job.

The system included a Pioneer SA-7700 integrated amplifier...

...a Pioneer turntable the model number of which escapes me, and a Pickering phono cartridge the model number of which also escapes me.

I was bit by a bit of nostalgia four or five years ago and purchased a near mint pair of them from a local guy off Craig's List.

I fired 'em up and found they were just as fun in 2006 as they were back in 1976.

I have 'em in my office which is rather small, but that works to the advantage of the 15 inch woofers which are in sealed enclosures. Just as they're starting to fall off, the room gain starts picking up so they integrate very well.

So that's my vintage speaker story.

se

May 3, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 1,332
You must have pretty good sound proofing in your office.  Every time I've tried playing music without headphones, someone has complained.  I don't listen very loud either, 65-70dB with headphones.  

May 3, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #5 of 1,332

Quote:

They're special to me because they were the speakers that were part of my first "real" stereo system that I bought back when I was 16, shortly after I got my first "real" job.

...a Pioneer turntable the model number of which escapes me, and a Pickering phono cartridge the model number of which also escapes me.

I was bit by a bit of nostalgia four or five years ago and purchased a near mint pair of them from a local guy off Craig's List.

I fired 'em up and found they were just as fun in 2006 as they were back in 1976.

I have 'em in my office which is rather small, but that works to the advantage of the 15 inch woofers which are in sealed enclosures. Just as they're starting to fall off, the room gain starts picking up so they integrate very well.

se

Those are some pretty nice looking speakers. I wouldn't mind a pair, more research is needed
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #6 of 1,332

Quote:
You must have pretty good sound proofing in your office.  Every time I've tried playing music without headphones, someone has complained.  I don't listen very loud either, 65-70dB with headphones.  

Well, by "office," I meant the extra bedroom in my home that I use for my office. That's why I'm able to get away with it.
biggrin.gif

se

May 3, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #7 of 1,332

Quote:
Those are some pretty nice looking speakers. I wouldn't mind a pair, more research is needed
biggrin.gif

When I first started looking for them some years back, I was quite surprised to find that they were still commanding good prices on eBay. They seem to be one of the most popular and highly regarded of the Pioneer vintage speakers. I've seen MIB's (Mint In Box) sell for as much as I paid for my whole system back in '76.

se

May 3, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #8 of 1,332

Quote:
When I first started looking for them some years back, I was quite surprised to find that they were still commanding good prices on eBay. They seem to be one of the most popular and highly regarded of the Pioneer vintage speakers. I've seen MIB's (Mint In Box) sell for as much as I paid for my whole system back in '76.

se

There are a pair of CS-99 on my craigslist for $90,they aren't as nice as the 99A's so ill pass
cool.gif

May 3, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #9 of 1,332

Quote:
Originally Posted by cifani090 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There are a pair of CS-99 on my craigslist for $90,that aren't as nice as the 99A's so ill pass
cool.gif

Good idea. The 99's aren't nearly as way bitchin' cool as the 99a's.
biggrin.gif

se

May 4, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 1,332

it's cause of the drivers. drivers in the pioneer CS-XX line are pretty rare and one of the kind really especially the midrange and woofers. you don't see midrange and woofers made with cloth surrounds. also pioneers tweeter horn or aka super tweeter compression driver is not made anymore. lot of vintage speakers have rare hard to find drivers. also the cabs are built strong and very pleasing to the eyes.

i have pair of cs-77a's i found in perfect condition. they are nice sounding if you put them on stands with great soundstage performance. they are also pretty heavy of 40lbs.per speaker. 
Quote:

se

May 5, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #11 of 1,332
i have a Sonic Gear - Sonic Power P320R. 

Frequecy Response Range (KHz) 60 Hz - 18 KHz
USB Compatible ไม่มี
Number of Subwoofer 1
Subwoofer Output Power (watts) 18 วัตต์ RMS
Number of satellite 2
Satellite Output Power (Watts) 10 วัตต์ RMS
Other Power : 28 Watts 
Wooden subwoofer with enhanced bass reflex 
Low harmonic distortion at near full volume 
Magnetically shielded subwoofer and satelite 
Bass, treble and master volume control 
Headphone jack 
Frequency response : 60 hz - 18 Khz 
FM Radio Built-in (P320R)

Pardon the language, I could only find the specs on this site.

Probably very crappy, and not considered "vintage."

May 6, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #12 of 1,332
have you ever tried recapping the crossovers? i'm this weekend recapping my CS77a's speakers and gonna pull the JBL thing too by adding bypass caps between the big 50uf and 30uf caps i'm ordering. tons of people tell me they had very very good results from restoring the crossovers in the pioneer speakers and well worth the effort. i'm gonna give it a try. if i yield great results these will be a keeper for me and i will not be giving them to my brother to use.

Quote:

se

May 6, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #13 of 1,332

Quote:
have you ever tried recapping the crossovers? i'm this weekend recapping my CS77a's speakers and gonna pull the JBL thing too by adding bypass caps between the big 50uf and 30uf caps i'm ordering. tons of people tell me they had very very good results from restoring the crossovers in the pioneer speakers and well worth the effort. i'm gonna give it a try. if i yield great results these will be a keeper for me and i will not be giving them to my brother to use.

Actually the gentleman that I bought them from had already replaced the electrolytics. He had a little side business buying, refurbishing and reselling vintage gear.

Since these were just my "fun" speakers, I didn't bother going in and tweaking anything.

se

May 6, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #14 of 1,332
that's cool. my cs-77a's aren't my main speakers but they have very good rare drivers,especially the midranges and woofers.they are nice sounding drivers. it's they are limiting by the cab size and crossovers. i'm also gonna work on the cabs insides and replace the speaker stuffing with carpet or some wool at home deport for fun.

Quote:
Actually the gentleman that I bought them from had already replaced the electrolytics. He had a little side business buying, refurbishing and reselling vintage gear.

Since these were just my "fun" speakers, I didn't bother going in and tweaking anything.

se

May 6, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #15 of 1,332

Quote:
that's cool. my cs-77a's aren't my main speakers but they have very good rare drivers,especially the midranges and woofers.they are nice sounding drivers. it's they are limiting by the cab size and crossovers. i'm also gonna work on the cabs insides and replace the speaker stuffing with carpet or some wool at home deport for fun.

The stock drivers are rare? Or what other ones did you put in there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back