Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jan 2, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #3,769 of 19,135

Quote:
I have a post there which hasn't received any attention I'm guessing because I was asking about a vintage receiver for my amp I'm not sure.

I extended an offer to help you 3 posts up...
smile.gif

Jan 3, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #3,770 of 19,135
the g22000 and the g33000 have power-pre parts , so i guess the headphone jack on them wont be that powerful.

yeah the sx-1980 might be the biggest , but i doubt its the best sounding, i think the best sounding one here is the au-20000 or the yamaha B1-C1 power pre.

I'd wager that between the juggernauts it's mostly which signature you prefer. I mean, they were all top of the line at the time, so the big sansui's, big yammies, and big marantz (2275 or 85), and pioneered all probably sound about as "good" and powerful, just different (not top of the line, but I heard a pioneer 1280 and a marantz 2275, and although the maramtz sounded warmer (and preferable to me), the pioneer sounded just as "good"and to me, just not as to my taste. Then again, i'm no golden ears, i'm 19, not Terribly experienced, and I have a fair bit of tinnitus so ymmv and imho and all that jazz.

Also, taking the time to restore your mid-level amp, or have it restored, sounds way better than an unrestored title amp. My 2245 is like a whole new amp now, and I never plan on getting rid of it (unless I can get a 2252 black faced marantz... those are sexy...)

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #3,772 of 19,135
Ha, depending on what receiver/integrated you have, all of them. Every single iem or can I've tried has sounded great. I've tried vintage headphones such as k240 sextett, k340. I'v tried my jh13pro, and mtpc's and they sounded excellent as well. Also tried some of the big boys such as my he-6 and the lcd-2s, beyer t1's and they sounded excellent. I haven't tried a headphone yet that didn't sound good. Some were better than others on different receivers I had. But they all sounded excellent on all of them I've owned.

My marantz 2325 may be a different story since it's the only one I've owned that don't have a -20db mute button. So my jh13 may be a no go. I'm still in the process of doing some work on it, so I haven't tried them yet.  I've taken about a 1 1/2 week break from it for during the holidays, but I plan to get back to work on it tomorrow. But initial testing has been promising. And I'm really, really liking the way it sounds with my he-6. They now sound lush, romantic, and very smooth and musical. With bass that really kicks you in the gut. This is different from the very neutral sound they had with the pioneer I had, and the slightly warm but still neutral sound I had with the kenwood. It's not fisher warm, but they are really smooth sounding now.

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #3,773 of 19,135

Quote:
Yes, old post, but I've just caught up and I can help with this!

I found:

SerTech Electronics 
(408) 267-3288

5725 Winfield Blvd
San Jose California 95123
United States

They've been doing electronics repair since this stuff was new.  :)  I had a Marantz 6300 TT serviced, and they did an excellent job.  Prices were very fair.  And, on the way out I noticed they had a little stash of equipment for sale. I picked up a Marantz 5020 cassette player, serviced, with new belts, for $80.  Good place, run by good guys.

I don't know why I didn't see this reply before! Thanks, Lou! This place looks awesome. I'll definitely look him up when I'm in the south bay.

Jan 4, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #3,774 of 19,135

Quote:
Ha, depending on what receiver/integrated you have, all of them. Every single iem or can I've tried has sounded great. I've tried vintage headphones such as k240 sextett, k340. I'v tried my jh13pro, and mtpc's and they sounded excellent as well. Also tried some of the big boys such as my he-6 and the lcd-2s, beyer t1's and they sounded excellent. I haven't tried a headphone yet that didn't sound good. Some were better than others on different receivers I had. But they all sounded excellent on all of them I've owned.

My marantz 2325 may be a different story since it's the only one I've owned that don't have a -20db mute button. So my jh13 may be a no go. I'm still in the process of doing some work on it, so I haven't tried them yet.  I've taken about a 1 1/2 week break from it for during the holidays, but I plan to get back to work on it tomorrow. But initial testing has been promising. And I'm really, really liking the way it sounds with my he-6. They now sound lush, romantic, and very smooth and musical. With bass that really kicks you in the gut. This is different from the very neutral sound they had with the pioneer I had, and the slightly warm but still neutral sound I had with the kenwood. It's not fisher warm, but they are really smooth sounding now.

Allow me to rephrase.  In my case I own the 2270, and while technically, yes, I can put any headphone I want in it, many of them lack great synergy with the Marantz.  While it was only temporary, running my D7000 through the 2270 was not ideal in anyway.  Yes, it sounded cool, and could rock my skull into oblivion if I so desired, but in general, it was VERY bassy, and bass dominated.  My volume knob never exceeded 9:00 o'clock, and I would say the 2270 was too strong for it as a whole.  In fact, I would even go as far to say that from a "serious" standpoint, it was a very flawed setup.

The HE-6 on the other hand, really benefits from all the power that 2270 can throw it.  Instantly, I felt a much better synergy between the two.  Outside of the HE-500, what other headphones really like vintage receivers?  Yes, I could buy the HD-800, T1, or LCD Rev 2/3, but wouldn't those be much better off with a WA22, or the Decware CSP-2?

Jan 4, 2012 at 11:13 AM Post #3,775 of 19,135
Anyone know if the Marantz SM 500 DC is any good? My friend has one he might part with, but I don't really know much about it.

Jan 4, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #3,776 of 19,135

Quote:
Allow me to rephrase.  In my case I own the 2270, and while technically, yes, I can put any headphone I want in it, many of them lack great synergy with the Marantz.  While it was only temporary, running my D7000 through the 2270 was not ideal in anyway.  Yes, it sounded cool, and could rock my skull into oblivion if I so desired, but in general, it was VERY bassy, and bass dominated.  My volume knob never exceeded 9:00 o'clock, and I would say the 2270 was too strong for it as a whole.  In fact, I would even go as far to say that from a "serious" standpoint, it was a very flawed setup.

The HE-6 on the other hand, really benefits from all the power that 2270 can throw it.  Instantly, I felt a much better synergy between the two.  Outside of the HE-500, what other headphones really like vintage receivers?  Yes, I could buy the HD-800, T1, or LCD Rev 2/3, but wouldn't those be much better off with a WA22, or the Decware CSP-2?

I have a Marantz 2265B and it pair very well with HD800, not so with with LCD-2.  Yes, the HD800 is better with WA22 but the Marantz is only fraction of the WA22 cost.

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #3,777 of 19,135
The Marantz sound of the 22xx and 23xx era is a pretty warm, lush sound.  I like it with the HE-6, but much less with the LCD-2/3.  The Pioneers are much better there.

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #3,778 of 19,135
Agreed. I got the marantz specifically to mate with my he-6. That's the only headphone I prefer the marantz with. With the other headphones I've tried, the pioneer and kenwood I had were better. And with the -20 mute button, they allowed me to use a more variety of cans(except the pioneer with iems. Still hissed with those even with the -20 button engaged). The marantz mates well with neutral sounding cans. Anything warmer than neutral becomes to warm and lush. So it's not as universally good with cans as the kenwood and marantz I had. But I still wouldn't say it sounds bad with the warmer cans. Just not as good as the other brands I had.

Jan 4, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #3,779 of 19,135
I have nuforce HDP going into my Marantz 2230 which I use with either  HD600s or with B&W speakers.  I think the combination works quite well, although in the future i'm hoping to get a 2275 or something of higher wattage in order to accommodate larger speakers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back