Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 4, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #721 of 19,136
Thanks, scottie, it's performing very well. Powerful, transparent and spacious, so I'm liking it a lot. The tone controls seem to have been implemented well, so even the loudness makes sense in some recordings! Love those VU-meters going back and fro while I'm working... Bass is very good. I never thought I'd say this, but it's on a par with the bass from my graham slee solo (i particularly like the solo's bass). It's all there, but not overpowering, sublimely textured and you can actually hear the strings being pulled through all the 'noise.' I'm a happy camper at the moment.

Quote:
O before i forget, REB'man thats one sweet lookin Teac. lov the VU meters if nothing else but for 25euros, its a screamer of a deal! congrats!!

Apr 4, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #722 of 19,136

Quote:
.....It's all there, but not overpowering, sublimely textured and you can actually hear the strings being pulled through all the 'noise.' I'm a happy camper at the moment.

L3000.gif

Apr 4, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #724 of 19,136
Her's some pics of the Akai M-8 tube monoblock amps I recently refurbished.  Have them interconnected and am using the HP out jack.  They sound amazing with AKG K702s.

Before:

After:

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #727 of 19,136
Gorgeous! What's the sound sig like?

Quote:
Her's some pics of the Akai M-8 tube monoblock amps I recently refurbished.  Have them interconnected and am using the HP out jack.  They sound amazing with AKG K702s.

Before:

After:

Apr 5, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #728 of 19,136
Those look VERY cool, BmWr75!  Nice.  Are you going to use the r-2-r?  Curious as to how you think it sounds.  Been contemplating picking up a reel deck to futz with, there are lots around locally...

Apr 5, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #729 of 19,136
I'm still kicking myself for not buying the Marantz I was eyeing a couple of years back. Can't remember the specific model, but I believe it was rated 20WPC, and it had wood finish (but not a wood enclosure like is often the case, I don't know if it was real wood or not) that looked like it would be a decent match for the W5000's cups (I had W5000 at the time, and so was doubly tempted, and I have a feeling one of these warm vintage amps would be a good fit, and the tone controls could help boost the bass a bit). I think it was only like $50 too and was in excellent condition.

If you guys happen to come across something like that, let me know I'd be very interested as it'd be a good fit for my needs now (needing something for computer setup, simple Polk bookshelf, and headphone amp, so don't need some of the behemoths I've seen posted here). I've been considering just getting one of the Dayton T-amps, but I'm not hopeful that it'll be good for headphones.

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #730 of 19,136
Quote:
If you guys happen to come across something like that, let me know I'd be very interested as it'd be a good fit for my needs now (needing something for computer setup, simple Polk bookshelf, and headphone amp, so don't need some of the behemoths I've seen posted here). I've been considering just getting one of the Dayton T-amps, but I'm not hopeful that it'll be good for headphones.

I've had reasonable success powering the HE-6 through the speaker taps on a Cityspot T-amp. If you try this your headphone will have to have totally separate + and - lines for each channel, and you can't run the speaker outputs through a conventional headphone plug adaptor.

Some of the Dayton T-amps have headphone jacks, but unless Parts Express states otherwise the headphone jack will have its own low-grade amplification circuit separate from the Tripath amp that powers the speakers. As such, the sound from the headphone jacks is probably not an improvement over whatever you've got now. Save your money and track down a nice old home stereo receiver.

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #731 of 19,136
The Musical Paradise t-amp does NOT have a separate path for the headphone amp, it uses the main amp.

Still, it sounds nowhere near as good (nor has even lose to as much power) as one of these vintage receivers/integrateds - if you can score locally and not have to pay for shipping, you can get a nice receiver/integrated for about the same price as one of these t-amps that will sound much better.  If you don't have space I could understand that.  But consider that I got a 70 wpc Optonica integrated with a MASSIVE torroidal transformer and all discrete output devices that sounds better than some $500-1000 SS headphone amps I have heard...for $100!  The high-powered T-amps are more than that...

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #732 of 19,136

Nice...I have an X-202B that looks a lot like this one.  I've not yet sprung for a wood case for mine...it's a nice look. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
This thread needs MORE PICS.  I absolutely love the look of vintage audio gear.  So I will repost one of my faves - this is my Fisher KX100.

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #733 of 19,136

Quote:
Nice...I have an X-202B that looks a lot like this one.  I've not yet sprung for a wood case for mine...it's a nice look. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks man!  Nice to "see" you 'round these parts.   The X-202-B is very nice! 

I got my case separately.  If did not come with the amp.  Ordered it from http://mcintoshcabinets.com/  The guy takes a while but the final product is very nice, IMO.

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #734 of 19,136
I have been reading though this thread for a while, my first sound system was built around a vintage Sanyo stereo rack and my speakers where built back in 1975 by my dad, they are older then I am.
So I have use vintage gear as long as I have had a stereo, I still use my ancient speakers and an ancient Nikko Alpha III power amp.
My first headphone amp was a H/K PM665, plenty of power, but grainy with poor bass extension.
The problem with vintage integrads is that they are so complicated that you HAVE to know how to maintain them to get the most of them.
Due to their complexity, many things can fail, plenty of dials and switches, and a relatively complicated circuitry and lets not for get the high power draw.
If you want to get around some of these problems you could try looking at some vintage preamps, I have found my Aragon 18k to be absolutely amazing, simple, easy to maintain, and insanely powerful.
It is direct coupled, pure class A, uses mosfets, only has a single switch in the entire signal path and has an output impedance of just 10 ohms.
So if you like vintage gear, don't limit your self to integrated amps, there are some sweet preamps to be found out there as well.

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #735 of 19,136

Quote:
Those look VERY cool, BmWr75!  Nice.  Are you going to use the r-2-r?  Curious as to how you think it sounds.  Been contemplating picking up a reel deck to futz with, there are lots around locally...

Thanks Rob.  I am thinking about parting out the RtR.  It is very noisy.  I tried it for recording while it was still unmolested.  It recorded fine.....but was no where near what I'd call Hi-Fi quality.  There are lots of better 70s vintage RtRs out there by Teac, Otari, Tascam, Akai, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back