Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Feb 26, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #346 of 19,136
sounds like either your antenna's not hooked up, or u live in a radio deadzone or your tuner trackings wayy off if u can only get a few stations. im not sure what u mean by "tracking force dial" but its not impossible for the strings (yes the whole tunning shebangs run off strings connect to the gyro dialknob) to be snagged somewhere. i'd take off the case & have a peek inside - errr power off & unplugg'd ofcos LOL. u can easily trace the path where the strings run & inspect each section for any snags or wateva. 

also search online for service manuls - hifiengine is a good start. its not impossible to adjust the tracking to specs. other than that, a shop will be your best bet but it wont be cheap. goodluck

Feb 26, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #347 of 19,136
I was talking about the tracking force dial on the TT. I am just in a radio dead zone. But yes, when I opened it up I saw the strings and the gears, I giggled a bit. 

I can't find a manual for the AP-D2. Sad, sad. Maybe I just need a tracking force scale to help?
Just to clarify, the tracking force scale would read 0 with just the counterweight set and should read equal to the tracking force dial right?

I tried balancing it again but the record plays better when the cart side is heavier. Why is this? Bad stylus? 

Feb 27, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #349 of 19,136
mralexosborn, as much as I love to discuss Vinyl, this is too off topic for a thread about vintage amps and receivers, so I don't want to answer any more questions about TT set-up in this thread.  Please make a new thread for that - lots of people with great TT knowledge will help.

Back OT, I made an offer to a local hi-fi store on a Pioneer SX-950 - they wanted $370, and after some research that seemed WAY high to me, but since I could just pick the thing up, I stretched and offered $300.  Amazingly, they declined. 

I want to get one more vintage receiver to compare to the Marantz, which will likely be either a Sansui or Pioneer...but I have to get the right deal...

Feb 27, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #350 of 19,136

Quote:
mralexosborn, as much as I love to discuss Vinyl, this is too off topic for a thread about vintage amps and receivers, so I don't want to answer any more questions about TT set-up in this thread.  Please make a new thread for that - lots of people with great TT knowledge will help.

Back OT, I made an offer to a local hi-fi store on a Pioneer SX-950 - they wanted $370, and after some research that seemed WAY high to me, but since I could just pick the thing up, I stretched and offered $300.  Amazingly, they declined. 

I want to get one more vintage receiver to compare to the Marantz, which will likely be either a Sansui or Pioneer...but I have to get the right deal...

Great idea.  Now that I've got a Marantz 2216 on its way, thanks to this thread, will be looking for a vintage turntable to go with it

How about someone starting a thread on "dedicated source components" forum or somewhere else where we can follow turntables and cartridges and leave this thread to only amps/receivers??

OK just started a thread on Dedicated Source Components.  Have at it

Feb 27, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #352 of 19,136
Rob one cant really call themselves a vintage gearhead unless u own or aspire to own one the golden era great integrated esp if sonics is prime. 'Suis & Pioneer made some great integrated that competes with stuff made today even & certainly within its price point & i'd say quite a few times higher.

if build quality is your thang -its mine- then the Sansui AU-517/717 & AU-819/919 will surely dazzle u. my little 517 only pumps out a measly 65w rms but the over engineering built in is astounding. i think its about a hair (ok ok may a hair & a toenail too) short of what u mite see on Krells & Levinsons but its very impressive nontheless. the ol ticker misses a thump each time i open her up.

if a little warmer nostalgia is your thing, then the higher 'Sui AU-x500/x900 (9500 is my fav) is again something to behold & best of all, its still affordable....for now. 

if radio is ya thing, not very many current tuners today can compete with the golden 'Sui tuners - TU-717/TU-919/TU9900 or the ultimate TU-X1 with the latter models still affordable, again for now. their performances rivals the best magnum dynalabs of today & yesterday.

if u're really serious about being a collector even more so than a connoiseur, then wait for the bigboys Pioneer SX-1050/1080/1250, Sansui G-8080/9090, G-9x00 as they are still relatively affordable. ofcos if u have the dosh to burn, the really big boys SX-1980/G22000/G33000 are musthavs.

thats what i would do if i were u since u already have so much gear. wait walk til u find the rite ones cos then, they're keepers with ever escalating value (in more ways than one LOL).

Feb 27, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #353 of 19,136
Awesome, Scottie, thanks. I will keep my eyes open for some of those. I already had my eyes on the 8080/9090, and the SX-1050/1250, so I am not too far off the right track. I want to get one more killer vintage piece - integrated or receiver, it doesn't really matter, since I already have the Marantz when I want to listen to FM (which until I got the Marantz was pretty seldom).

Appreciate the advice!

Feb 27, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #354 of 19,136
no worries S'Labman im dinking around with all these lower end stuff cos im trying to find the ultimate "headamp" to drive my cans cos i know which drives my speakers best. unlike me u already own (or have owned) quite a buncha fine headgear so i dont see the point of u dinking around with the lower end stuff. sure u may pay more for the topend but they're usually prized collectables in their own right & not only highly desireable & hold their value, they will only appreciate. 

usually but not always, the topend are showcases for each mfgrs technology & so should sound the best of its ilk. sidessss theres nothing like owning monsta amps/receivers & being able to ermmm describe ....shuck it...BOAST of its 150w - 300w rms output! & if u think your 2275s nice, put it beside one of these monstas & u get an idea how puny it is. these monstas are like 1.5 times the size with hugh heatsinks & weigh inexcess of 80lbs. infact the G-33000 comes in 2pieces & weigh about 115lbs total! i dare anyone to not do a double take when they see it!!!

and thats why we wanna own MONSTA amps & receivers folks! O & the fact that it sucks 1000w at full output only adds to its street cred. god i lov it!

Feb 28, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #355 of 19,136
This thread is bad!
eek.gif
for my wallet... Just made an offer on a mint kenwood kt7002 amp and ku7001 tuner... they looked very good and the amp's build quality (and sound quality) is supposed to be extraordinary.

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #356 of 19,136
last night I just missed a mint AU 717. looking at the pics, you are right - built quality i4 ama7ing on that!

Feb 28, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #357 of 19,136
I've missed a few marantz, pioneers, and sansui's. Starting this thread was a bad idea. I really hope I get lucky in a thrift store soon. If I don't think my wallet is going to take a hit real soon!!

Feb 28, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #360 of 19,136
your right about the collecting part but i usually feel bad buying all these nice amps and receiver and not enough speakers to go around! my place is not very big either and i love big speakers. also it comes to it more then watts for the power of the receiver or amp. i heard some amps that were over 100wpc  pioneers not sound sonically near as good to a 40wpc kenwood or sansui. i say kenwood,sony,hitachi,technics and sansui made some of the best stuff when it came to sonic quality.i like marantz too but most marantz gear seems too much on the bass heavy side of things to me and be perfect for bassheads. it is in fact my opinion tho and everyone is different.

Quote:
Rob one cant really call themselves a vintage gearhead unless u own or aspire to own one the golden era great integrated esp if sonics is prime. 'Suis & Pioneer made some great integrated that competes with stuff made today even & certainly within its price point & i'd say quite a few times higher.

if build quality is your thang -its mine- then the Sansui AU-517/717 & AU-819/919 will surely dazzle u. my little 517 only pumps out a measly 65w rms but the over engineering built in is astounding. i think its about a hair (ok ok may a hair & a toenail too) short of what u mite see on Krells & Levinsons but its very impressive nontheless. the ol ticker misses a thump each time i open her up.

if a little warmer nostalgia is your thing, then the higher 'Sui AU-x500/x900 (9500 is my fav) is again something to behold & best of all, its still affordable....for now. 

if radio is ya thing, not very many current tuners today can compete with the golden 'Sui tuners - TU-717/TU-919/TU9900 or the ultimate TU-X1 with the latter models still affordable, again for now. their performances rivals the best magnum dynalabs of today & yesterday.

if u're really serious about being a collector even more so than a connoiseur, then wait for the bigboys Pioneer SX-1050/1080/1250, Sansui G-8080/9090, G-9x00 as they are still relatively affordable. ofcos if u have the dosh to burn, the really big boys SX-1980/G22000/G33000 are musthavs.

thats what i would do if i were u since u already have so much gear. wait walk til u find the rite ones cos then, they're keepers with ever escalating value (in more ways than one LOL).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back