Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 6, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #18,766 of 19,093
you guys know if its worth it to upgrade the headphone jack in these? or stick to stock/NOS?

Oct 7, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #18,767 of 19,093
Pioneer SA-7500 I'm restoring. Was my first real amp I got handed to me from my mom back when I was 18, so has some sentimental value to keep around. Trying to restore the wooden case so currently staining that but the veneer top is being an ass and I may end up scrapping it and keeping it just the black metal stock case, which at least is 95% mint outside of a small rust spot near the back, and matches all the other black/chrome gear. Need to fix the pots, a bit noisy.

It sounds amazing fwiw. I'm remembering now why I shelved my Schiit Valhalla and kept using this for headphones for several years. It's not articulate, but its got character and is really fun.

PXL_20210714_212610432.jpg

EDIT: It's actually kind of crazy - the resolution on this thing. Now, the Bluetooth DAC can only handle lossy AptX (and sometimes I find macos switches to SBC, shittier) and yet I'm finding I'm hearing depth and layers on songs with greater detail than my tubed up Valhalla w/ an actual DAC handling lossless files. I can't say it's totally better, but in some areas it excels and am really interested to see how it sounds with a proper EQ and source (the 2 band tone control doesnt cut it for me but it helps). I still think the Valhalla is 'better' because I've EQ'd the crap out of it to my liking, but stock vs stock the Pioneer is hands down better with my HD800s. The resolution (ie, I'm hearing layers of vocals on a metal track I forgot existed, the background stuff takes forever to decay and has absolute clarity - word for word, I can hear these background lines on a chorus that otherwise I thought were murmurs), but that depth comes with a price of being a bit top heavy, and it sounds like it has a veil over everything, guitars just dont have the growl I prefer, even if they sound deadlier.

I now remember why I loved this amp all those years back lol
Pretty looking nice.

Oct 9, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #18,768 of 19,093
I ended up snagging a Marantz 2225 after all in the classifieds. Guy had it listed lower and the pics looked rough. Ended up snagging it for over $100 less than the last one, with no big issues.

I will concede now that the selector switch on this with no knob is incredibly hard to turn with my hands

Volume knob seems a bit off axis, headphone jack loses contact sometimes, and its got some nicks on the top but I think after its cleaned up and relamped it will look great. Might even get an aftermarket black faceplate if the dings bother me too much. Considering getting it recapped now as well (repairs are gonna cost more than the unit itself lol)

If you don't mind let us know your thoughts after it's recapped and broken in?
My guess would be buy a new quality headphone jack unless they are crazy expensive.
In my opinion the silver faceplate best matches the receiver not so keen on the black ones. But it's up to what best pleases you.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #18,769 of 19,093
If you don't mind let us know your thoughts after it's recapped and broken in?
My guess would be buy a new quality headphone jack unless they are crazy expensive.
In my opinion the silver faceplate best matches the receiver not so keen on the black ones. But it's up to what best pleases you.

guy i was talking to to do it stopped replying so many this wont be a 1 week project

will re-capping it help significantly? theres no noise or issues, sound just is kinda muddy (esp in the low end) and doesn't stand up to my other amps but its 'okay' overall

also i fixed the headphone jack so i'll be keeping it :)

got the thing cleaned up and re-lit though, so here's an update pic:

PXL_20211007_192807153.jpg

Oct 9, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #18,771 of 19,093
It's absolutely necessary it's recapped it's a safety issue at this age. The "muddy sound" is likely to the signal capacitors degrading.

safety issue? 😳

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #18,773 of 19,093
safety smafety??? =p ... I guess i should recap these old Pioneer receivers..but I am lazy and I don't want to... mainly my personal rule is to not leave these things on unattended.. however I have many vintage pieces and I have have never had one go poof let alone catch fire.. /touchwood for me if it sounds ~good I'm rather inclined to leave it alone.. I'd be more worried about modern cheap electronics / audio gear going poof and catching fire than these 70s / 80s devices.. I've seen some brand new phone charges go "bang" and catch fire for example... and I had the power supply for a pc go poof and emit the magic smoke (no fire thank god).

Whatever... Here is my mid 70s Pioneer SX-450 that had been sitting unused for "awhile" now.. cleaned it up and gave it a listen going to rotate it onto my pc desk for awhile.. it isn't recapped like I said I just don't leave it on when I'm not there.. but again never had an issue thus far .. this little guy sounds pretty good it is only 15WPC but it does good as a pc desk amp..

anyway SX-450 made in Japan ~mid 70's pictured while cleaning it up and testing to see if it still works..it does...
sx450.jpg
20211025_174424.jpg

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #18,775 of 19,093
you guys know if its worth it to upgrade the headphone jack in these? or stick to stock/NOS?
I recommend watching the following video made by fellow Head-if member Monsterzero. You’ll find the answers to most of your questions including your headphone jack one in this excellent video.

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #18,776 of 19,093
I recommend watching the following video made by fellow Head-if member Monsterzero. You’ll find the answers to most of your questions including your headphone jack one in this excellent video.

I dont think it answers questions (about part replacement) but it's still a great video

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #18,778 of 19,093
Ok, but, it does address the headphone jack upgrading question you had.

actually it doesnt...unless you have a timestamp but i watched the whole thing

Oct 28, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #18,780 of 19,093
At around 1:55

he just says vintage receivers are better for driving headphones than modern receivers, nothing about the jack...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back