Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 17, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #18,736 of 19,093
Generally hum is due to a ground loop or on older equipment a bad capacitor some where in the unit. More than likely a recap will fix the problem.
eh figured that was plan b

also noticing the scratchiness in the volume knob keeps coming back; respraying the contact cleaner fixed it. Do I need Deoxit or a lubricant as well? (deoxit is like $35 a can here so was putting it off)

Jul 17, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #18,737 of 19,093
eh figured that was plan b

also noticing the scratchiness in the volume knob keeps coming back; respraying the contact cleaner fixed it. Do I need Deoxit or a lubricant as well? (deoxit is like $35 a can here so was putting it off)
I'd recommend DeoxIt D5, does a great job. The best stuff IMHO.

Jul 17, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #18,738 of 19,093
for the price i guess i can live with the occasional blip for now

i also noticed that when i'm on tuner, i can hear the input from aux playing (very lightly). Is this bleeding of source normal for the era?

Jul 18, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #18,739 of 19,093
Question if anyone has experience with this, but I noticed the pre-out/power-in on the back (with 2 U shaped metal pieces having them always connected, and they need to be in for the amp to function

curious, with my current setup im gonna configure (DAC>EQ>AUX-IN), is there any benefit to going DAC>AUX-IN>PRE-OUT>EQ>POWER-IN? That is, removing the EQ from the source input and instead putting it in the pre section of the signal? Is that cleaner or no difference?

Jul 18, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #18,740 of 19,093
Question if anyone has experience with this, but I noticed the pre-out/power-in on the back (with 2 U shaped metal pieces having them always connected, and they need to be in for the amp to function

curious, with my current setup im gonna configure (DAC>EQ>AUX-IN), is there any benefit to going DAC>AUX-IN>PRE-OUT>EQ>POWER-IN? That is, removing the EQ from the source input and instead putting it in the pre section of the signal? Is that cleaner or no
Well, hard to say. But the second method you mention would require additional cabling as opposed to the former. I think I would tend to stick with DAC>EQ>AUX-IN. I run my external DAC into the adapter input on my 1250 as the schematic seemed to show a little less circuitry that way. Tried to minimize the signal path.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #18,741 of 19,093
for the price i guess i can live with the occasional blip for now

i also noticed that when i'm on tuner, i can hear the input from aux playing (very lightly). Is this bleeding of source normal for the era?

May be a capacitor issue. Fortunately you can just shut off whatever is feeding the aux.

Jul 18, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #18,742 of 19,093
Well, hard to say. But the second method you mention would require additional cabling as opposed to the former. I think I would tend to stick with DAC>EQ>AUX-IN. I run my external DAC into the adapter input on my 1250 as the schematic seemed to show a little less circuitry that way. Tried to minimize the signal path.
At the same time, it had me wondering if basic shielded cabling would be better than just the exposed metal prong connecting the two sources

I guess I'll experiment💁

Jul 28, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #18,743 of 19,093
That is a shame, ideally you would have two sets of speaker terminals.
Look up. I use one on my MP-301 1. It has a headphone jack in the back which is very unhandy. Also it only has 1pair of speaker outs. This Russound works very well. Should be able to find on ebay. This way you can still use speakers if you want to.

TBL-75 Table Top Volume Control​

Aug 26, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #18,744 of 19,093
Though I'd share some picof my sansui au d33. Simply fantastic sounding amp with incredible specs. Even so wasn't up to my requirements so ended up rebuilding almost the whole thing. Replaced all caps, all elkos are audionote standard(except for the8200uf power filters those are not 10000uf63v mundorf mlytic) all ceramics and polystyrene capshave been replaced with polypropylene and silver mics where poly was not available.
After this stillwasnt quite where it could be. So took a look at the resistors. Started by changing the ones on headphone output with 220ohm TKD metal films( terrible sounding resistor) quickly changed them out for amtrans carbon films, wow. Now hadseen what moder good carbon films can do got takman Rex for all signal path and takman Rey for power and everything else. Replaced emitter resistors with mundorf 10w mox, and replaced some 2w 4.7ohm resistors with 5w 4.7ohm kiwames. The results are beyond spectacular. Started to change some cables aswelll. Stock was steel so checked silver plated copper and results are fantastic. So in the next couple of weeks the goal is to. Change all signal cables to fine silver and perhaps power cables for occ copper(not sure yet). Gonna ad more pics once I get home to a proper network IMG_20210815_132423.jpgIMG_20210826_181115.jpgIMG_20210811_174452.jpgIMG_20210811_174447.jpgIMG_20210815_132413.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #18,745 of 19,093
A bit of update thought I'd post this as well. All cables that carry signal are now changed to fine silver 0.2mm diameter(know bigger diameter would be better but this works and sounds better than anything that I had available or at hand). Also all the input selectors and phono board and mute are completely bypassed with the same 0.2mm silver cables(find this size to be enough, using it for all my audio cables just a single strand) The difference is fabulous. Background is completely gone. Whilemusicality, imaging, timbres and extensions are massively improved even Soundstage is somehow improved. Loving the results was a pain in the ass to do though. The original cables seem to have been steel. IMG_20210901_171847.jpgIMG_20210901_171843.jpg
Almost done with this amp, got some resistors for psu coming in next week, and amtrans AMRG 1.5k and 220ohm resistors for testing as input and headphone output ones.
Love this amp beyond description, best sounding device I have ever heard.

Sep 1, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #18,746 of 19,093
Nice work sir! Beware the cable police who inhabit head-fi. They will be only to happy to tell you that there is no difference in sound by changing wire. I fall on the same side of this as you that it can make a significant difference if done right. Silver, after all, is one of the best conductors known to man.

Sep 1, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #18,747 of 19,093
should i just go out and grab a first gen Marantz 2225, or one of the later 70s models

Sep 1, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #18,748 of 19,093
should i just go out and grab a first gen Marantz 2225, or one of the later 70s models
IMHO the earlier ones were better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back