Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 6, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #18,571 of 19,122
Oh my! A re-release of the JBL L100 speaker! Not cheap,but cheaper than buying on eBay! anyone here willing to take the plunge?

https://upscaleaudio.com/products/jbl-l100-classic-loudspeaker-each?_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJkamFzaWF3d3NAZ21haWwuY29tIiwgImtsX2NvbXBhbnlfaWQiOiAiTVNIQUVHIn0=

Dang that's a lot of $....................I have the L100 from the early days. Love the sound - they are the second set of speakers in my garage gym system and handle all the Spec 4 amp can throw at them!

Attachments

• JBL L100.jpg
    JBL L100.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Apr 9, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #18,573 of 19,122
So my McIntosh 4100 arrived two days ago. Externally it looks like it just came off of the assembly line yesterday. Unfortunately the internals were damaged in transit,so its on its way back to the seller who agreed to pay for the return shipping. He is going to repair the damage and attempt to send it back once its complete.

Ive waited 35 years for one. I guess another week or two wont kill me,but....Grrrrrrrr!

Apr 15, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #18,577 of 19,122
That is a beautiful Sony.....................there is a guy on Audiokarma that makes wood cases for vintage equipment - goes by the name of sawdust - unfortunately I saw recently that he was not doing it right now due to some health issues (not COVID related) but if he gets back to making them they are outstanding. Got one from him for my Pioneer SA-8800 amp and it is sweet.

Apr 15, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #18,578 of 19,122
That is a beautiful Sony.....................there is a guy on Audiokarma that makes wood cases for vintage equipment - goes by the name of sawdust - unfortunately I saw recently that he was not doing it right now due to some health issues (not COVID related) but if he gets back to making them they are outstanding. Got one from him for my Pioneer SA-8800 amp and it is sweet.

That would be cool, I have seen some originals on Ebay also, but they are few and far between. I wish I were good at woodworking, just an IT guy though: ) Also, my wife does not share my affinity for music or my older audio equipment, let alone my home theater setup, which means I have to get something like that on the down low.

Apr 15, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #18,581 of 19,122
That amp is gorgeous Red71rum!
I recently got a SX-1280 and think it looks pretty nifty, but I really love the styling of those old Sonys!
(Still wanna sneak in Marantz at some point too...)
Thanks, I like the Pioneer look also. I was looking at an SX1010 I believe in my area, but did not get it. The SX1280 is a great receiver. I never follow through on Marantz because of the inherent Marantz tax I always see... I always liked the Marantz model 18 or the 2385 always looked cool to me.

My STR-7055 has its original wood case. Like most 1970's receiver who had them, it looks great. Would love to get a quality OEM for my late 70's vintage Marantz.

The 7055 is a great receiver. I got the 6055 for $60 and it came with the original Harman Kardon HK40 speakers.

Apr 18, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #18,582 of 19,122
I just bought a pair of these, so I can answer my own question. I thought they would be more detailed but on my Yamaha 'Natural Sound' receiver with 220ohm jack they are actually smoother than the 600's. My Hifiman HE-500 had this same sonic character (smooth), but I've had plenty of headphones that are very detailed on my Yamaha like Sony's and AKG's. Actually, if my 600's had any more detail it would be too much.

Anyway, the 660's sound like a cross between the 600's and 650's. They have more bass than the 600's but not as much as the 650's. I do prefer the bass control at -1 and on darker recordings, -2. I listen to mostly vinyl rips and vinyl does have more bass...depending on the system of course. With CD's the tone controls can stay flat, with the occasional -1 bass setting. (Tone controls definitely come in handy!!). Also, the soundstage is noticeably wider, which is nice.

I don't think these cans would sound good on bass heavy receivers like the early Sansui's. In fact, I don't like the sound of my 600's on my Sansui 800.

EDIT... Never mind. my above statement stands.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #18,585 of 19,122
Has anyone come across good sounding receivers from the 70's/80's that sound good with lower impedance headphones?

I regularly listen to my Denon MD2000 and LA7000 out of my vintage amps - of which I have 8 working systems in use and they sound great. Not sure on the impedance of the Denon's but pretty sure they meet your question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back