Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 14, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #18,242 of 19,131
AU-717 is back with new binding posts to replace those spring clips. Skippy did an excellent job. Love it.

IMG-2683.JPG

Apr 14, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #18,243 of 19,131
AU-717 is back with new binding posts to replace those spring clips. Skippy did an excellent job. Love it.

Yep, Dad has done a great job with those binding post conversion kits. Very clean and fully reversible if required - the way that all good mods should be!

Apr 14, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #18,244 of 19,131
Whilst there, I had the opportunity to listen to the Sansui au alpha 907MR driving a pair of floor standing Paradigms. The amp is gold in colour and even have balanced input. :)

I can now appreciate the shift in the Sansui alpha to a more neutral tone with very good clarity and details, whilst still sounding musically involving. There's a lot to love about it.

Apr 14, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #18,245 of 19,131
Whilst there, I had the opportunity to listen to the Sansui au alpha 907MR driving a pair of floor standing Paradigms. The amp is gold in colour and even have balanced input. :)

I can now appreciate the shift in the Sansui alpha to a more neutral tone with very good clarity and details, whilst still sounding musically involving. There's a lot to love about it.

Ah, glad to hear that Dad set the 907MR up for you to hear!

The MR is the model after the 907XR that I currently run at my place. It's a very very slight evolution over the XR - slightly more detail, a tad less warmth.

I'll be collecting the MR this week for some listening over the Easter period, and will also be re-doing the wooden side cheeks (you would have seen the unfortunate cracking and damage). It should look as-new once finished!

The balanced inputs are a nice touch on the 707 and 907 Alphas - they do provide added flexibility. I haven't used the balanced inputs much as my unbalanced interconnects (Aurealis R1 Dragon) sound better than my Mogami Gold balanced interconnects.

Apr 14, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #18,246 of 19,131
The 907MR is a beautiful looking amp. I noticed the binding posts looking very substantial and classy. So are the chunky gold feet and the very big and smooth volume knob. I'm sure after your restoration it will look really good.

I was just thinking that the Yggdrasil has balanced xlr out and would connect to the Alpha 907MR nicely. :)

Apr 14, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #18,248 of 19,131
The 907MR is a beautiful looking amp. I noticed the binding posts looking very substantial and classy. So are the chunky gold feet and the very big and smooth volume knob. I'm sure after your restoration it will look really good.

I was just thinking that the Yggdrasil has balanced xlr out and would connect to the Alpha 907MR nicely. :)

Indeed, they are 33kg of Sansui's finest. The binding posts on the MRX are from WBT and are top-quality. The feet themselves weigh over 1kg in total.

I'll post some internal pics once I receive the MR, although it looks identical inside to the XR that I have.

Apr 14, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #18,249 of 19,131

I would say neutral (or slightly to the brighter side of neutral) tone almost perfectly describes the SX-1250 also.

Apr 20, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #18,250 of 19,131
I've just assigned my AU-717 to preamp duties and as expected it's more than up to the task. What is surprising to me and a very pleasant one at that, is that even in separated mode all the tone controls such as bass, treble and loudness are still engaged and have a very audible effect. Anyone else used AU-717 like this?

Apr 20, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #18,252 of 19,131
I've just assigned my AU-717 to preamp duties and as expected it's more than up to the task. What is surprising to me and a very pleasant one at that, is that even in separated mode all the tone controls such as bass, treble and loudness are still engaged and have a very audible effect. Anyone else used AU-717 like this?

Typically the tone control functions are part of the preamp. Sounds like you have a real nice piece of gear there.

Apr 21, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #18,253 of 19,131
A challenger to the crown has arrived... enter the Sansui AU-Apha 907MR!

Lots of bitumised rubber sound deadening and Teflon tape to be found everywhere, along with the usual array of Elna Silmic Alpha Gold capacitors, RIKEN resistors and the big 13kg Tamura transformer. 33kg of Sansui goodness right here.

The 907XR still occupies the penthouse in the Tower of Alpha... but for how long???

From the lower levels, the 907DR looks on, biding its time. It is the black sheep of the family... the dark horse that still packs a mighty punch, with none of that showy silvery champagne livery.

There's a rumble in the jungle beckoning!!

907mr.jpg
907mr 2.jpg
907mr 1.jpg
907mr 3.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #18,255 of 19,131
I am very lucky that my 2 Sansui were so amazingly good and different of one another....Without that I would be green of envy in my face...The 907 MR look like some pinnacle of the Sansui mountain range...:ksc75smile::L3000::beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back