Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 27, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #17,686 of 19,122
Was gifted a pair of brand new in the box JBL 4311B speakers (boss had two sets - one in service and one he never used! when he sold his house and needed to clear them out so gave them to me along with a pickup truck load of surround sound :frowning2: stuff (most of which went to Goodwill) along with a KLH 10" sub..............pulled the Klipsch speakers out of the Spec system and tried the JBL's. Love the sound - and today put the sub in the system on the B speaker outputs. Subs are not overrated - they add a "fill" to the sound I wasn't sure I needed but is clearly a benefit. Steely Dan Aja was my test song, as usual, and when Steve Gadd gets drumming on the solos it is incredible.
KLH sub added to Spec system July 2018.jpg

Jul 27, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #17,687 of 19,122
Very nice rig and what a deal on the JBLs. And yes, Steve Gadd knows how to play drums. He grew up right in my back yard in Rochester NY.

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #17,688 of 19,122
Woah, what a thorough work through of that amp! With that much work done, the tech probably ran it to make sure the amp didn't burn up (more so than to 'burn in' new parts).

I'm at the "small monster" end of the scale with my Pioneer SA3000, it fits on a Ikea YPPERLIG Shelving unit along with the rest of the chain and some non audio stuff. It was bought recapped so I had no choice in the caps used here is part of the listing -
"
The amplifier has been fully refurbished and restored, ensuring that it sounds as good as possible and runs trouble free for years to come.

Both power amplifiers have been rebuilt with new up rated filter capacitors, and high voltage film bypass capacitors to improve noise filtering through the rectifiers and power supplies.
Small signal capacitors have been upgraded to high quality WIMA film capacitors which won't deteriorate in the same why electrolytic capacitors age.
Fresh computer grade thermal compound has been applied to the output transistors and the external heatsinks have been cleaned.
Deteriorating resistors have been replaced with new.
Idle current and DC offset checked and set.
Pre-amp power supply rebuilt with new up rated Nichicon PW capacitors.
Voltage regulators replaced with new larger regulators to improve stability.
Phono pre-amp rebuilt with new Nichicon low leakage and Panasonic capacitors with small value capacitors being upgraded to film capacitors.
Phono pre-amp final stage transistors replaced with larger transistors to improve thermal stability at Class A.
Power pilot lamp converted to low voltage LED.
All pots and switches cleaned and re-lubricated.
Fascia deep cleaned and polished.

After this, the amplifier has been run in to allow the new parts to burn in."

I've only been listening to speakers for a couple of years, weird I know but I was brought up on headphones. I have to say I love what the pioneer kick's out more and more as every hour I listen.

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #17,689 of 19,122
WOW! New in box!? As a gift! I've got to find a friend like that haha!
Great acquisition man, thanks for the photos!

Was gifted a pair of brand new in the box JBL 4311B speakers (boss had two sets - one in service and one he never used! when he sold his house and needed to clear them out so gave them to me along with a pickup truck load of surround sound :frowning2: stuff (most of which went to Goodwill) along with a KLH 10" sub..............pulled the Klipsch speakers out of the Spec system and tried the JBL's. Love the sound - and today put the sub in the system on the B speaker outputs. Subs are not overrated - they add a "fill" to the sound I wasn't sure I needed but is clearly a benefit. Steely Dan Aja was my test song, as usual, and when Steve Gadd gets drumming on the solos it is incredible.

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #17,691 of 19,122
10148920.jpeg

Very confused on what Im supposed to do here.

You need to remove the banana plugs,and get the termination down to bare wire.
You will notice that someone marked them R+ & R-. + goes into the red ,negative goes into black.

To remove,it looks like you can unscrew the tightener at thee back of each plug and the wires will come out easy.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #17,693 of 19,122
I edited the above post

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #17,694 of 19,122

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #17,696 of 19,122
Ive never encountered that before. I would assume you can cut off those ends and then strip away the rubber outer coat to expose bare wire. Keep track of which is which as he has labeled them. To be sure I would contact whomever made them for you just to be 100% sure.

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #17,697 of 19,122
Ive never encountered that before. I would assume you can cut off those ends and then strip away the rubber outer coat to expose bare wire. Keep track of which is which as he has labeled them. To be sure I would contact whomever made them for you just to be 100% sure.
The speaker outputs on the amp doesn't look the same the one in the video or some others i've seen. am I supposed to do something to that little black and red area?

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #17,698 of 19,122
Yeah those are old school connectors,which every vintage receiver Ive owned has.

You push down with your thumb on the red and black tabs,which if you look in you will see opens up a small circle that the bare wire gets fed into.

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #17,699 of 19,122
Did you get it figured out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back