Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Oct 30, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #17,433 of 19,136
Anyone know if static from your turntable can cause issues in your receiver? The stock platter mat on my is a notorious static well; any time I play records for awhile weird things happen to my amp (loud pop through whatever output was used when turning off, channels not working on initial startup, random temporary drops in overall sonic quality). ALL of the aformentioned issues stop if I play from another source for awhile or if I lift the record off the turntable (which is followed by a nice pop) then replace it.

I will be replacing the mat shortly but in the meantime I would like to know if anyone has experienced this.

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:04 AM Post #17,434 of 19,136
It kinda sounds like you have more than one issue going on. Your phono preamp might be damaged, your amp could have a bias issue with a high steady state current, and/or you could have a grounding issue with your TT. You could try to rig a ground from the top of your platter to the post to dissipate the static and see if that helps, but I'd doubt your problem is so simple considering your symptoms.

Anyone know if static from your turntable can cause issues in your receiver? The stock platter mat on my is a notorious static well; any time I play records for awhile weird things happen to my amp (loud pop through whatever output was used when turning off, channels not working on initial startup, random temporary drops in overall sonic quality). ALL of the aformentioned issues stop if I play from another source for awhile or if I lift the record off the turntable (which is followed by a nice pop) then replace it.

I will be replacing the mat shortly but in the meantime I would like to know if anyone has experienced this.

Oct 31, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #17,435 of 19,136
I have an emotional attachment to the receivers and integrated amps of the 70s, but not an umbilical one. People can ask what they want but that does not mean they will get it. When the Miata first came out people were putting theirs up for sale for tens of thousands of dollars over what they paid. There was even one ad that asked for a million.

Just because you're fishing with the right bait does not mean the pond has hungry fish in it. The quickest way to get buyer's remorse is to over pay and then try to immediately flip it for even more and fail horribly.

But the truth is that there are some people out there with more dollars than sense. I am not the brightest bulb in the pack but neither do I have the wherewithal to spend like the fool I (some times!) am. :ksc75smile:

Patience is it's own reward. You either get what you want for what you can afford or you do not. The former is fine and the latter is just as good because you did not delude your self in to a monetary and emotional debt. I am looking at an all-in-one system with 8-Track and record changer! I missed it last week but if all goes well, I will see if my younger brother can pick it up for me. If not and/or some one else buys it, that is great because it still finds a home. It is not over priced (to me) and looks to be in good shape. It is not the GE Wildcat I want but until another one (I missed one last year, dammit!) comes along, this one will do just fine. Or not!

Prices are somewhat insane and I certainly would not pay the going price for most of these models. I am very fortunate to have had my Wife find a mint SX-1250 for $350 at a Ronald McDonald house sale a few years back. Yes, not flashy looking - but the sound is a head turner. :relaxed:

Nov 1, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #17,437 of 19,136
It kinda sounds like you have more than one issue going on. Your phono preamp might be damaged, your amp could have a bias issue with a high steady state current, and/or you could have a grounding issue with your TT. You could try to rig a ground from the top of your platter to the post to dissipate the static and see if that helps, but I'd doubt your problem is so simple considering your symptoms.

Unfortunately I fear your right; you came to almost the exact same diagnosis I did while missing information. I was having problems with phono input 1 from the start and previously one of the channels died on me, I took the amp to a local guy who is not known for doing the most thorough work (found this out too late) and he semi-repaired both issues but obviously not fully.

I'll have to take it to a different tech soon :frowning2:

Nov 2, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #17,438 of 19,136
After having done a lot of research I settled on a restored Sansui AU-555A. I've been listening to it for a week and I'm truly blown away by its sound.

Deep, tight bass; lively mids; smooth treble. Best of all is its wonderful natural tone that leans on the warm side yet still manages to sound open and fast. Excellent sense of space and imaging too. Just a highly musical, impressive unit. Not the most detailed amp, but I can overlook that considering everything else. Excellent for low-volume listening, but really asks of you to turn it up.

I've also got a fully restored Sony TA-4650 coming my way too. I expect it to even best the Sansui with its VFET design.

Vintage equipment only for me from now on.

20171102_125745.jpg

Nov 2, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #17,439 of 19,136
After having done a lot of research I settled on a restored Sansui AU-555A. I've been listening to it for a week and I'm truly blown away by its sound.

Deep, tight bass; lively mids; smooth treble. Best of all is its wonderful natural tone that leans on the warm side yet still manages to sound open and fast. Excellent sense of space and imaging too. Just a highly musical, impressive unit. Not the most detailed amp, but I can overlook that considering everything else. Excellent for low-volume listening, but really asks of you to turn it up.

I've also got a fully restored Sony TA-4650 coming my way too. I expect it to even best the Sansui with its VFET design.

Vintage equipment only for me from now on.

Welcome to team Sansui/Sony! Add some mcintosh gear and we'll have very similar setups!

Nov 3, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #17,441 of 19,136
Where did you start and where are you now?

I moved from USA to SE Asia,and then from SE Asia to Argentina and then back to SE Asia and back to USA....I hate moving!

Nov 3, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #17,442 of 19,136
Where did you start and where are you now?

I moved from USA to SE Asia,and then from SE Asia to Argentina and then back to SE Asia and back to USA....I hate moving!

I moved from the west coast of the US to southern europe. I took about 800 kilos of US spec vintage audio equipment with me, so I'm thinking I'm going to have some great cross pollination with the collection.

Nov 3, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #17,443 of 19,136
You sent everything shipping container? how long did that take to arrive?
Lots of stepdown converters are in your future!:beerchug:

Nov 4, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #17,445 of 19,136
I run a MAC 1900 that's been great a compliment to my v200. The 1900 adds a sparkle and some space to certain headphones that just sound handicapped otherwise.
For some reason, some of my planar magnetic headphones sound great of my v200, and others really don't perform well with anything other than my MAC. I love the Bimby->MAC 1900 combo for my HE400s, TH-X0, Ethers.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back