Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
May 7, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #17,146 of 19,130
This might have been asked before, but any Sansui owners here? Happy to meet anyone who appreciates good old Sansui like me.

Here's a pic of my humble set-up:

Congratulations! Magnificent corner....

I am also a Sansui AU 7700 lucky owner... And you know what they say all these Sansui owners : «For people that have owned Sansui amps, there seems to be two camps.The first are the owners who love their Amps and will never sell them.
The second are the owners who sold their Amps and wish they hadn't.»:beerchug:

May 7, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #17,148 of 19,130
There are a few real fans of the Sansui line here. Silent one and I both have their TOTL monster big G series, and many have the 9090 (or other x0x0 models) or AU models and swear by them.

This might have been asked before, but any Sansui owners here? Happy to meet anyone who appreciates good old Sansui like me.

Here's a pic of my humble set-up:

May 7, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #17,149 of 19,130
I have an awesome Sansui AU-717. Manufactured in 1979 and still my favorite piece of gear!

AU717.jpg

May 7, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #17,150 of 19,130
Congratulations! Magnificent corner....

I am also a Sansui AU 7700 lucky owner... And you know what they say all these Sansui owners : «For people that have owned Sansui amps, there seems to be two camps.The first are the owners who love their Amps and will never sell them.
The second are the owners who sold their Amps and wish they hadn't.»:beerchug:

There are a few real fans of the Sansui line here. Silent one and I both have their TOTL monster big G series, and many have the 9090 (or other x0x0 models) or AU models and swear by them.

Hey, glad to meet you guys.

@richard51 I'm a lucky guy from the first camp, who got my hands on my Au-555A from an unfortunate guy in the second camp. I can't be happier. I hear your 7700 is a real beauty. Not many on the market. Packs a huge punch too given it's power. You must be loving it.

@PhoenixG Wow. The G series are legendary. Such classic receiver looks too with those silver face plates. I don't know much about the XOXO series but sounds like I should. Great, there's some reading to keep me busy now.

May 7, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #17,151 of 19,130
I have the former TOTL Sansui 881,and the infamous 5000a.
Both are nice sounding,with the 881 having very nice mids and the 5000a being quite warm.

May 7, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #17,152 of 19,130
I have an awesome Sansui AU-717. Manufactured in 1979 and still my favorite piece of gear!

That's absolutely beautiful. Really well kept too from what I can see. The wood on my 555A is chipping and falling off but I just think of it as part of the charm.

May 7, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #17,153 of 19,130
Yeah, big fan of my 9090. The search stopped when I got this guy a few years ago. I still look occasionally for an Eight Deluxe or integrated, but I'm pretty satisfied...

May 7, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #17,154 of 19,130
I have the former TOTL Sansui 881,and the infamous 5000a.
Both are nice sounding,with the 881 having very nice mids and the 5000a being quite warm.

Warm, great mids is quite the signature of Sansui isn't it. Then again I haven't heard that many to be sure. What's infamous about the 5000a? Other than being available for a real steal according to Audiokarma.

May 7, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #17,155 of 19,130
What's infamous about the 5000a? Other than being available for a real steal according to Audiokarma.

They had a pesky tendency to catch on fire.

May 7, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #17,157 of 19,130
Very warm sound and a tendency to catch on fire. Hmm...
everytime I describe the sound of the 5000a I chuckle to myself,but it truly is the warmest SS Ive ever heard.The bass is solid as it comes,but at the expense of some detail on the top end that I hear in my other receivers.

Apparently the 5000a has a part inside that was the culprit for causing impromptu BBQs to erupt....they were recalled and replaced,dont know if my particular unit has the good or bad part,but so far so good.

May 7, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #17,158 of 19,130
everytime I describe the sound of the 5000a I chuckle to myself,but it truly is the warmest SS Ive ever heard.The bass is solid as it comes,but at the expense of some detail on the top end that I hear in my other receivers.

Apparently the 5000a has a part inside that was the culprit for causing impromptu BBQs to erupt....they were recalled and replaced,dont know if my particular unit has the good or bad part,but so far so good.
Have you thought about a x0x0 series receiver? What I love about my 9090 is its warmish, without losing any detail at the top end. The soundstage and imaging are also excellent. That's what surprised me most with this guy, with your speakers set up right, it can be almost holographic. It also doesn't hurt that my 650's sound phenomenal from the headphone jack

May 7, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #17,159 of 19,130
Have you thought about a x0x0 series receiver? What I love about my 9090 is its warmish, without losing any detail at the top end. The soundstage and imaging are also excellent. That's what surprised me most with this guy, with your speakers set up right, it can be almost holographic. It also doesn't hurt that my 650's sound phenomenal from the headphone jack

I have looked at the x0x0 line yes,however I must admit my passion for receivers has usurped my passion for HPs as my top hobby/wallet drain.There are sooo many receivers out there that I wanna try by companies that Ive yet to hear(McIntosh,Luxman,Tandberg,Pioneer,Concept,Technics)so they will probably get my attention before i go for another Sansui.

It took me about two years to figure out the exact sound signature I prefer from headphones,so im still learning and listening to various receivers to find my preferred sound.

Im looking forward to hearing the Rectilinear Highboys I picked up last week thru my various receivers...theyre still in transit from Colorado,but theyre highly regarded,and not too easy to find.

May 7, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #17,160 of 19,130
I have looked at the x0x0 line yes,however I must admit my passion for receivers has usurped my passion for HPs as my top hobby/wallet drain.There are sooo many receivers out there that I wanna try by companies that Ive yet to hear(McIntosh,Luxman,Tandberg,Pioneer,Concept,Technics)so they will probably get my attention before i go for another Sansui.

It took me about two years to figure out the exact sound signature I prefer from headphones,so im still learning and listening to various receivers to find my preferred sound.

Im looking forward to hearing the Rectilinear Highboys I picked up last week thru my various receivers...theyre still in transit from Colorado,but theyre highly regarded,and not too easy to find.
I hardly listen with my headphones anymore, I almost forgot how good music could sound with properly set up decent speakers.

For years I had main speakers that were too big for my room. For 7.1 it was ok, because I could set them to small and let the sub handle bass. But when I got back into 2 channel and vintage receivers, my big Dahlquists just overpowered the room and it sounded like crap. This led to alot of headphone listening.

I picked up a pair of Elac Uni-Fi UB5's on a whim after reading a bunch of very positive reviews and had my mind blown.

Who new speaker technology had come this far? If you sat me blindfolded and played me these things, I'd never guess 5 bills, probably a few grand. They could look better, but for this kind of money who cares?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back