Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jul 22, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #14,719 of 19,136
Quote: I used to work on the Kenwood 9600 years ago when they were borderline in/out of warranty. Man that unit is HEAVY! The model had two versions, one with Output Transistors in addition to the Output IC module and one without. I don't know if one can find those modules now but back then they went for $120 each. The later version with the transistors was an attempt to protect the module when someone shorted the outputs which seemed to happen quite a bit. In say 1980-1982 $240 for modules + $50 labor and a repair on 2 ch's of that receiver cost you over $300 with tax! OUCH! But they DO sound really nice. The LO-7T Preamp had a lot of intermittents. I had one. It sounded nice when it worked but it always had problems. I had a pair of LO-7M mono blocks which I should have kept. In fact I still have some of that multi-strand Litz type Sigma Drive speaker cable Kenwood made back then and sold for $1/foot.  The black shinny caps always went bad in the LO-7M mono block but they were nice punchy amps. I still have a M1, C1, and KT815 tuner. In fact I still have some transistors etc. from the 90's for Kenwood gear. OK…history lesson over. LOL sorry for the longish post.
  Kenwood is loved here in SoCal 
wink.gif

Had always wanted the 9600...

In other news...

...wandered into my storage unit today to retrieve a couple of very small items. And had to move a lot big items out the way first! 
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #14,720 of 19,136
Can anyone recommend a cheaper receiver for my HE400's? I have an Onkyo HT-R330 and it's from 2003. While it does drive my HE400's well, it was a cheap thrift store find ($15). I definitely want something vintage as I love the way they look and want the power they have. I would like to spend less than $100. 

Jul 22, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #14,722 of 19,136
  Can anyone recommend a cheaper receiver for my HE400's? I have an Onkyo HT-R330 and it's from 2003. While it does drive my HE400's well, it was a cheap thrift store find ($15). I definitely want something vintage as I love the way they look and want the power they have. I would like to spend less than $100. 

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/search/ela?query=vintage

Look at this list - under electronics and I just typed in vintage.  Happy hunting! 

I've bought three pieces for less than $100 over the past couple of years.

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #14,723 of 19,136
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/search/ela?query=vintage

Look at this list - under electronics and I just typed in vintage.  Happy hunting! 

I've bought three pieces for less than $100 over the past couple of years.

I certainly appreciate the help and enthusiasm. I guess what I meant was are there any specific models l/brands I should look for in that price range? The Onkyo I have opened my eyes to cheap power vs using a dedicated head amp, but I'm now hooked on the allure of vintage gear.

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #14,725 of 19,136
I certainly appreciate the help and enthusiasm. I guess what I meant was are there any specific models l/brands I should look for in that price range? The Onkyo I have opened my eyes to cheap power vs using a dedicated head amp, but I'm now hooked on the allure of vintage gear.

I'm partial to Pioneer, owning 5 of them currently.  Also have Kenwood, Hitachi and Fisher. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #14,728 of 19,136
Can you please share your experiences with Hitachi, thanks

Sure.  I have the SR-804, which is a Class G amplifier, which has 50 watts per channel but when you "ask" for more power it doubles the output (or that's what I recall reading about the design).  It's a pristine example that looks flawless in both the silver face and the wood case and sounds excellent. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #14,729 of 19,136

Sure.  I have the SR-804, which is a Class G amplifier, which has 50 watts per channel but when you "ask" for more power it doubles the output (or that's what I recall reading about the design).  It's a pristine example that looks flawless in both the silver face and the wood case and sounds excellent. 

This is about how I remember Hitachi Class G amps - it was/is a decent sounding design that is very cost effective. 

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #14,730 of 19,136
Random question, but since everyone here seems to like vintage gear do any of you guys still listen to cassette tapes on occasion? I've been rediscovering some of my old tapes this past week and loving how they sound. They aren't nearly as detailed or clean sounding as digital or good vinyl but there is a certain charm to the sound that I can't really put my finger on, or maybe it's nostalgia 
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back