Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
May 5, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #12,496 of 19,093
Random:
After getting excited about my first receiver I went and got a couple more. The Akai sounding like crap and the Rotel sounding great but crackles when I turn the volume up and needs a worthy cleaning. Being anxious will get you in trouble. I will do some better research from now on.

I would feel guilty for selling that akai for what i paid in shipping.

May 6, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #12,498 of 19,093
  Random:
After getting excited about my first receiver I went and got a couple more. The Akai sounding like crap and the Rotel sounding great but crackles when I turn the volume up and needs a worthy cleaning. Being anxious will get you in trouble. I will do some better research from now on.

The Rotel "fix" is probably just doing the Deoxit treatment.  Let me know if you need the link to Audiokarma's "Deoxit for Dummies" thread.  Worth the 30 minutes bud. 

May 6, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #12,499 of 19,093
  Random:

I'm telling you, you struck gold early! Feel free to kick me in the NAD's if I'm wrong
size]

Must say I wasn't impressed with the one Akai amp I owned. My experience with Rotel is much better though, defo worth getting some deoxit for that boy. 

Next, a dose of Pioneer for you me thinks!

May 6, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #12,501 of 19,093
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207005 - this should be a sticky here on this thread.

Stuff works extremely well and quick.  Turned a Kenwood that could barely adjust volume on to a noiseless piece in twenty minutes of spraying.  Must have for any vintage lover. 

May 6, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #12,503 of 19,093
  I'm telling you, you struck gold early! Feel free to kick me in the NAD's if I'm wrong
size]

Must say I wasn't impressed with the one Akai amp I owned. My experience with Rotel is much better though, defo worth getting some deoxit for that boy. 

Next, a dose of Pioneer for you me thinks!

lol 

you know what I like my NAD but its not for every song and I need more power for the he-6 cause 25w per channel at 8 ohms doesn't translate into enough power at 50/60 ohms of the he-6

May 6, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #12,504 of 19,093
  lol 

you know what I like my NAD but its not for every song and I need more power for the he-6 cause 25w per channel at 8 ohms doesn't translate into enough power at 50/60 ohms of the he-6

Even out of speaker taps? 

May 6, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #12,505 of 19,093
Well, I'm back guys - and with news!
I didn't think I'd be jumping in quite this quickly, but I'm happy to say that I'm the proud new owner of a brand new - to me - McIntosh Mac 1900. She seems to be in perfect working condition, and I got her for an absolute STEAL. (A special thanks should go out to PhoenixG for all the help) Although I don't have much to compare it to, she's driving my BS22's like a champ, and I've never heard them sound so good.

She's an absolute beaut, although missing the wood sidings and with a couple little rust spots here and there. The volume is a little scratchy, but I've heard thats quite common and not a big deal.
Upon looking at the internals, just about everything seems to be in order except an obscene amount of dust. My only worry is this:

The swollen looking guys in the top left of the picture seem they might be trouble. Thoughts, and any advice?
Anyways, thank you to everyone here for helping me take my baby steps through the door, and I think I'm going to be around for quite a while longer in this thread! The vintage bug has caught me.

May 6, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #12,506 of 19,093
Beautiful unit and a fantastic find! That's a bit more than baby steps, it's more like a both feet in dive. The wood cases were an option from the distributor, but originals and reproductions can easily still be found online for about $100. I like the look of them personally, but they are by no means required.
It's a bit unusual to me to see mylar/poly caps bulge, but maybe someone else has an opinion on what could be happening. Either way, be sure to give a couple squirts of deoxit in all the controls to get rid of the scratchiness. Also, blow air in there to get some of the dust away. I've found out the hard way that deoxit+heavy dust=arcing.

Quote:
I didn't think I'd be jumping in quite this quickly, but I'm happy to say that I'm the proud new owner of a brand new - to me - McIntosh Mac 1900. She seems to be in perfect working condition, and I got her for an absolute STEAL. (A special thanks should go out to PhoenixG for all the help) Although I don't have much to compare it to, she's driving my BS22's like a champ, and I've never heard them sound so good.

She's an absolute beaut, although missing the wood sidings and with a couple little rust spots here and there. The volume is a little scratchy, but I've heard thats quite common and not a big deal.
Upon looking at the internals, just about everything seems to be in order except an obscene amount of dust. My only worry is this:

The swollen looking guys in the top left of the picture seem they might be trouble. Thoughts, and any advice?
Anyways, thank you to everyone here for helping me take my baby steps through the door, and I think I'm going to be around for quite a while longer in this thread! The vintage bug has caught me.

May 6, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #12,507 of 19,093

Even out of speaker taps? 

As far as I have recently found out yes but i could be wrong about all of this.

Because of the he-6 50-60 ohm resistance then the "25w at 8 ohms" means less than the recommended "5w per channel at 50-60 ohms" for the he-6.

I figured that my Rotel which is "35w per channel at 8ohms" translates to roughly "5.6w per channel into 50 ohms" and i should be good there because the ef6 amp which supposedly exploits its potential is 5w per channel into 50 ohms. 

I will see when it gets here and the one I got already has the adapter so I should be good to go.

I want to get this thing despite its heating issues:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261018872460

May 7, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #12,508 of 19,093

Welcome to the club!! And a big congrats. That's a great find. As for the caps, I've not seen film caps do that before. I personally would look at getting those replaced. Those caps are suppose to have tight tolerances(which is why they went with film instead of electrolytics in those spots). So it's important to make sure you have good ones there.

May 7, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #12,509 of 19,093
It is also possible that it is not swollen.  Sometimes they just look that way.  Any leakage anywhere?

May 7, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #12,510 of 19,093
  It is also possible that it is not swollen.  Sometimes they just look that way.  Any leakage anywhere?

+1 - I've seen that before also with larger capacity film caps.  No leakage, tested fine with meter, I think they just try to stuff more into a package that size.

Definitely look for signs of cracking or leakage.  If none, I would'nt lose any sleep over it. They can always be replaced down the road if you prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back