Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
May 3, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #12,466 of 19,121
Makes sense to buy an integrated if you don't want the radio and don't care about the sexy look of the vintage receivers :wink:

The Pioneer SX-1980 does do a great job with the HE-6 but it can output 27 watts into 50 ohms from its headphone out! That's not typical :p

That's a lot of power!

Some of the modern home power amps can do that for cheap at 300 bucks but I know it won't sound as good.

The rotel that will be here is 5.6 w at 50 ohms and the Hifiman f6 is 5 w at 50 ohms so I should be okay for now.

And nah I actually prefer the aesthetics of all the silver knobs over the lit meters.

May 3, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #12,467 of 19,121
  Very funny Musicman ... I'm sure you took a peek didn't you
redface.gif
!

@ Oregonian -- Yeah they are holding me steady -- along with a Pioneer SA9500II I have, they are pretty solid pieces; but I really like what the Luxman does with music. Oh yeah, I run a custom tube buffer between it and my Dac and the Luxman matches up very nicely with it, but not so well with the other amps which didn't seem to need or want the additional voltage swing. How's your new Hitachi Class G receiver working out?

Nope. Just a wild gueSS based on how you made the question and because I have used think cutting boards from IKEA as amplifier platforms.
wink_face.gif

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 3, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #12,468 of 19,121
Hey guys! I'm interested in getting into the vintage scene to replace my lepai, which is driving my Pioneer bs22's and soon a Logan Martin Dynamo 300. And, to pair with my LCD 2 as a bonus! How do I go about getting into this? From what I've seen, buying locally is the most effective option, but I wouldn't know where to go in Miami to find this stuff. Also, what should I be looking for in the 100-200 range?

May 3, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #12,469 of 19,121
excuse my ignorance again but shouldnt I be looking at integrated amplifiers if I dong give two craps about a radio?

They seem to be more power for cheaper slightly and less popular

Yep........tho receivers sure look sweet if you listen to FM as little as I do an integrated is a good option. Maybe a Spec 1 pamp and Spec 2 amp in combination? A little mundane looking with all that silver but the sound is lovely.

Seriously, the integrateds are the value choice. Found two SA-9500's on Craigslist the past couple of days for less than $300 each and receivers not near the power levels of them costing almost double. I've got 5 of my 7 vintage pieces that are purely amps and the Hitachi I just got was a concession to my wife for the option of FM when she's doing work in the family room so a win win for me. I get another vintage piece to enjoy and she's ok with it.

May 3, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #12,470 of 19,121

Very funny Musicman ... I'm sure you took a peek didn't you
redface.gif
!

@ Oregonian -- Yeah they are holding me steady -- along with a Pioneer SA9500II I have, they are pretty solid pieces; but I really like what the Luxman does with music. Oh yeah, I run a custom tube buffer between it and my Dac and the Luxman matches up very nicely with it, but not so well with the other amps which didn't seem to need or want the additional voltage swing. How's your new Hitachi Class G receiver working out?

Nope. Just a wild gueSS based on how you made the question and because I have used think cutting boards from IKEA as amplifier platforms.
wink_face.gif

Cool beans ... you deserve a ribbon!

May 3, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #12,471 of 19,121
Hey guys! I'm interested in getting into the vintage scene to replace my lepai, which is driving my Pioneer bs22's and soon a Logan Martin Dynamo 300. And, to pair with my LCD 2 as a bonus! How do I go about getting into this? From what I've seen, buying locally is the most effective option, but I wouldn't know where to go in Miami to find this stuff. Also, what should I be looking for in the 100-200 range?

Welcome to the vintage thread!
A lot of us get our units from craigslist, but your local thrift/flea market might have a few gems. We typically look for indicators of quality - weight, signs of maintenance, condition, brand, product lines, etc. Most of the receivers that qualify for this thread, with a number of fantastic exceptions, have the brushed aluminum face and knobs. We also buy from online auction sites. I have found a number of brands and series with a sound I think is darn near perfect at a price point I can't resist (send me a PM if you want to hear me go on ad nauseum about which ones I like best at all price points). That's the vintage bliss. :D
I looked on CL for you for miami and thought these two listings looked promising for you in your price range. (I was bored, don't get used to it haha). I'm not affiliated with any of them.
http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/ele/4403131221.html
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/ele/4387563281.html
I'd bring your headphones for an audition to see how you like each of them if you decide to investigate them further.
Happy hunting!

May 4, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #12,472 of 19,121
Seriously, the integrateds are the value choice. Found two SA-9500's

The SA series sounds really great with headphones. I just helped a friend put together a budget system, a used HE-500 ($450) and a 36 watt SA 710($80) from 1978 with the blue LED meters and I was shocked at how fantastic  the combo was. $530 dollars for an awesome setup, he is in heaven.

May 4, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #12,473 of 19,121
A lot of us get our units from craigslist, but your local thrift/flea market might have a few gems. We typically look for indicators of quality - weight, signs of maintenance, condition, brand, product lines, etc. Most of the receivers that qualify for this thread, with a number of fantastic exceptions, have the brushed aluminum face and knobs. We also buy from online auction sites. I have found a number of brands and series with a sound I think is darn near perfect at a price point I can't resist (send me a PM if you want to hear me go on ad nauseum about which ones I like best at all price points). That's the vintage bliss. :D
I looked on CL for you for miami and thought these two listings looked promising for you in your price range. (I was bored, don't get used to it haha). I'm not affiliated with any of them.
I'd bring your headphones for an audition to see how you like each of them if you decide to investigate them further.

Happy hunting!

That first ad you linked to has some good stuff. I'd love to have all of that gear. I like how for the JBL L220's it just says (rare) with no price. Really great speakers though.

May 4, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #12,474 of 19,121
Happy hunting!

Thanks so much! I'll PM you so as to not clutter up the thread, but I hope to be joining all of you soon in the vintage hunt!

May 4, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #12,475 of 19,121
The SA series sounds really great with headphones. I just helped a friend put together a budget system, a used HE-500 ($450) and a 36 watt SA 710($80) from 1978 with the blue LED meters and I was shocked at how fantastic  the combo was. $530 dollars for an awesome setup, he is in heaven.

I still want an SA-9800 - if I ever find one locally, or one that's been restored already, I will pounce on that.

May 4, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #12,476 of 19,121

I use a Pioneer SX750 with my BS22's. The combo works great together.

May 4, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #12,477 of 19,121
Many moons ago I was offered an SA-9900 in working order for $200 and I turned it down. Not buying it is still one of my biggest regrets in this hobby.

May 4, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #12,478 of 19,121
 From what I've seen, buying locally is the most effective option, but I wouldn't know where to go in Miami to find this stuff.

do a search to see if any "old school, radio/tv repair shops" arn't relatively close to you.  you may be surprised at what might be sitting on the shelves at some of these places.  they're becoming harder to find, but when you do find one, that business owner/repair tech has a lot of experience and know-how.

when i picked up a carver cm1090 integrated off of craigslist, i took it in for repair and service at a good shop that i was able to find.  he's about a 2-hour drive, one-way, from me.    that was this past winter, and the unit has performed flawlessly since then.

i told him when i stopped in one day (before i even bought the carver, that:  "you guys are getting to be rare birds these days."  he nodded, and said:  "yeah.  we know.  that's one of the things we talk about whenever we get together.")

so, if there are shops like this that arn't too far away from you, then this may be a potential source worth checking out. (for both equipment finds, and somebody who's
experienced in the trade and knows a lot of this (now vintage) gear.

i'm not familiar with florida, but i do know the age demographic skews older, (state-wide.  maybe not where you're at), but i would think coming across such a place (in the outlying areas from where you are) would be possible.

just a thought.  

May 4, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #12,479 of 19,121
  do a search to see if any "old school, radio/tv repair shops" arn't relatively close to you.  you may be surprised at what might be sitting on the shelves at some of these places.  they're becoming harder to find, but when you do find one, that business owner/repair tech has a lot of experience and know-how.

when i picked up a carver cm1090 integrated off of craigslist, i took it in for repair and service at a good shop that i was able to find.  he's about a 2-hour drive, one-way, from me.    that was this past winter, and the unit has performed flawlessly since then.

i told him when i stopped in one day (before i even bought the carver, that:  "you guys are getting to be rare birds these days."  he nodded, and said:  "yeah.  we know.  that's one of the things we talk about whenever we get together.")

so, if there are shops like this that arn't too far away from you, then this may be a potential source worth checking out. (for both equipment finds, and somebody who's
experienced in the trade and knows a lot of this (now vintage) gear.

i'm not familiar with florida, but i do know the age demographic skews older, (state-wide.  maybe not where you're at), but i would think coming across such a place (in the outlying areas from where you are) would be possible.

just a thought.  

Thanks for the advice! I kind of followed it - after doing some searching, I found a local who is heavily into vintage audio and contacted him. Unfortunately, he told me that because of the number of "flippers" in Miami, the odds of finding something at a good price are very, very low. 

On that note, it has occurred to me that I could potentially kill two birds with one stone if I do decide to go the vintage route. I was going to go with a Project Ember to replace the amp section of my Aune T1 which is currently driving my LCD 2's. However, I could run Aune T1 -> (insert vintage amp here) -> BS22's AND LCD 2's. This allows me to combine my budgets for the two, so I can now spend something more like $400-500. Does anyone have recommendations as to what I could get in this price range? It MUST have a headphone out, and tubes would be really nice, although not mandatory I suppose. 

Thanks again.

May 4, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #12,480 of 19,121
  Thanks for the advice! I kind of followed it - after doing some searching, I found a local who is heavily into vintage audio and contacted him. Unfortunately, he told me that because of the number of "flippers" in Miami, the odds of finding something at a good price are very, very low. 

On that note, it has occurred to me that I could potentially kill two birds with one stone if I do decide to go the vintage route. I was going to go with a Project Ember to replace the amp section of my Aune T1 which is currently driving my LCD 2's. However, I could run Aune T1 -> (insert vintage amp here) -> BS22's AND LCD 2's. This allows me to combine my budgets for the two, so I can now spend something more like $400-500. Does anyone have recommendations as to what I could get in this price range? It MUST have a headphone out, and tubes would be really nice, although not mandatory I suppose. 

Thanks again.

I'm not familiar with tube amps or the LCD2's but like I said earlier I use an SX750 for both my BS22's and for my Q701. The BS22's won't need much power, so anything between 50-100 watts per channel should do it. That leaves a lot of options. I use mine near field and 50 watts per channel is more than enough.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back