Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Jan 13, 2015 at 8:44 AM Post #13,951 of 19,145
100 pages in, and I already weep with sorrow! AU-517 for $650, when they were available for less than $100!
frown.gif

This thread has probably been responsible for driving up prices on some units.  Our bad I guess - but they are so good we must talk about them! 
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #13,952 of 19,145

This thread has probably been responsible for driving up prices on some units.  Our bad I guess - but they are so good we must talk about them! 
wink.gif

them the breaks! sucks for us newbies reading the dirt cheap prices you guys paid just a few years back!!!

(but also attributable to the "australia tax", so you guys are not solely to blame!)

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #13,953 of 19,145

wink.gif

Eh, that's more Audiokarma's doing, but I guess we're partially responsible for the renewed interest in the headphone-oriented market.

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #13,954 of 19,145
   I have been following threads about these classic receivers and just joined the brotherhood of vintage receiver owners around six months ago.
I have been reading about the vintage sansuii g33000 and g22000 receivers with their separating amplifier and preamp sections. Does anyone own one of these receivers. I am curious about how they sound as headphone amplifiers. I would also appreciate any input as to how they compare to other vintage monster receivers of the era.
   These are a bit too pricey for me these days especially the g33000. Those go for upwards of 7500 usd these days ouch!!!!!!!!!!!
Just as well I just do not have the room for more than the monster vintage receiver I have (really I do not, I have to put mine on the floor it is too big for the shelves in my cabinet ) .
    But getting back to my original thoughts I would like to hear some opinions of the sansei g33000 and g22000 from those who either own one or has heard one.

I use it to drive my HE-6 off speaker taps.

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #13,957 of 19,145
That's actually an AKAI GX-4000 reel to reel tape deck, if I'm not mistaken. Many reel to reel decks have killer headphone sections.

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #13,959 of 19,145
That's actually an AKAI GX-4000 reel to reel tape deck, if I'm not mistaken. Many reel to reel decks have killer headphone sections.

Many, especially Akai, use EL84 single ended tube amps for voltage gain.
You can pull these out and make a sweet little headphone amp!

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #13,960 of 19,145
         How does it sound compared to other monster vintage receivers of the day? The receiver sure looks pretty in the night mine is very plain jane looking.

I think it sounds great...and that's the un-restored version I'm hearing. Will eventually go full resto. But since all the caps measured well within original specs, this can wait a bit. 

A few moons back (several actually), I had a chance to hear:
- Kenwood 9600 
- Pioneer SX-1250
- Marantz 2500/2600
- SA-1000

All of these with various TTs & R2Rs and a wide variety of speakers. Except never with cans. None of 'em! Often heard lower tiered Sansui's. But never even heard of the Monster G-33000/22000 until 2012. And still could never lay eyes on one in person. That all changed in 2013. 
biggrin.gif
 one Friday night I just happened to reviewing vintage iron on CL. Tripped over the seller's listing and noticed the posting was time-stamped at 5 min or just under. Called and immediately setup a meeting. But agreed to buy it in-principle unseen, unheard.

Can't really tell you how it sounds compared to other monsters with headphones. And have not tried the Sansui with speakers yet either. I'm almost certain others (moodyrn; Skylab, Oregonian ect) can provide you with descriptive details. As well as AudioKarma, 'cause there's a few members who own both the SX-1980 & G-33000/G22000 at the same time.

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #13,961 of 19,145
Well, I purchased the Pioneer SA-9800 that was on AK.  Seemed like a good opportunity for a high end solid state Pioneer and I have a thing for integrated over receiver...I got it for a fair price (not a steal by any means).  Still waiting for it to get shipped out.

Jan 16, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #13,962 of 19,145
Well, I purchased the Pioneer SA-9800 that was on AK.  Seemed like a good opportunity for a high end solid state Pioneer and I have a thing for integrated over receiver...I got it for a fair price (not a steal by any means).  Still waiting for it to get shipped out.

Congratulations! I have the SA-8800 among my Pioneer stable. Look forward to pics when you get it!

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #13,963 of 19,145

wink.gif

Noooo, Audiokarma is all you get when you google. We are hidden in a nice cozy corner of the internet :D 

We can say all we want! For example - Stop buying very expensive headphone amps for your picky HD800's! (just shell out for a mint vintage NAD :wink:  

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #13,964 of 19,145
  I think it sounds great...and that's the un-restored version I'm hearing. Will eventually go full resto. But since all the caps measured well within original specs, this can wait a bit. 

A few moons back (several actually), I had a chance to hear:
- Kenwood 9600 
- Pioneer SX-1250
- Marantz 2500/2600
- SA-1000

All of these with various TTs & R2Rs and a wide variety of speakers. Except never with cans. None of 'em! Often heard lower tiered Sansui's. But never even heard of the Monster G-33000/22000 until 2012. And still could never lay eyes on one in person. That all changed in 2013. 
biggrin.gif
 one Friday night I just happened to reviewing vintage iron on CL. Tripped over the seller's listing and noticed the posting was time-stamped at 5 min or just under. Called and immediately setup a meeting. But agreed to buy it in-principle unseen, unheard.

Can't really tell you how it sounds compared to other monsters with headphones. And have not tried the Sansui with speakers yet either. I'm almost certain others (moodyrn; Skylab, Oregonian ect) can provide you with descriptive details. As well as AudioKarma, 'cause there's a few members who own both the SX-1980 & G-33000/G22000 at the same time.

Al I know is that my concept receiver just about blows any dedicated headphone amp that I have heard out of the water. The beast is just so much more dynamic and the bass is just unbelievable.
I have never heard bass from my akg 701s like they have with the concept receiver. I have had my 701s for over 5 years now and no dedicated headphone amp that I have heard can come even remotely close in the bass department.  That includes the cavaliis no contest game set match to the concept 16.5 .
   In fact it is tough going back to my dedicated amps the sound just is not in the same league.
  I should check some of the other vintage monsters out with my headphones. I do not have the space to collect some of these behemoths but it would be interesting to see how they compare to my concept 16.5 . Maybe I will check some out at some vintage shops in my area. You do not have to buy just listen.

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #13,965 of 19,145
 Al I know is that my concept receiver just about blows any dedicated headphone amp that I have heard out of the water. The beast is just so much more dynamic and the bass is just unbelievable.
I have never heard bass from my akg 701s like they have with the concept receiver. I have had my 701s for over 5 years now and no dedicated headphone amp that I have heard can come even remotely close in the bass department.  That includes the cavaliis no contest game set match to the concept 16.5 .
   In fact it is tough going back to my dedicated amps the sound just is not in the same league.
  I should check some of the other vintage monsters out with my headphones. I do not have the space to collect some of these behemoths but it would be interesting to see how they compare to my concept 16.5 . Maybe I will check some out at some vintage shops in my area. You do not have to buy just listen.

If one considers:

- Purchase price
- Features
- Flexibility
- Power 

The ROI (Return On Investment) is so high, we should all be investigated.
lmao.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back