Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Sep 28, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #2,791 of 18,797

RexAeterna

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 22, 2010
Posts
2,317
Likes
81
It's a sad day.
frown.gif

My SX1250 stoped working.
It was playing one moment, and then the speakers went silent, 30 seconds later the power went out. Now it wont even power up. I opened it up, the fuses look mint (except for the ceramic primary (Fuse 12A - FU6 which is opaque so I cant see inside).
I am sure that my guy can fix it, but the 6 week wait will be awful. 


that sucks dude. hope you get it fix. if it was me tho i probably trade it as is and try to get hold of a yamaha mx1000 power amp since they usually go cheaper than pioneer gear and it has more power and most of all 1ohm stable if you want to go crazy with big full-range electrostatic speakers cause the mx1000 can drive up to 1000w@1ohms or go for an Adcom GFA-555 but that's just me.
 
Sep 28, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #2,792 of 18,797

WarriorAnt

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 9, 2009
Posts
4,283
Likes
154


Quote:
Wow that sucks, man. Lots of people work on SX-1250's. Maybe go for a partial or complete re-cap while you are at it?

These guys did the restore on my SX-1980 and it's killer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMPLETE-RESTORATION-PIONEER-SX-1250-/360098265477


 


That service looks good! Nice pics of the unit apart.  Looks like this guy does proud work.
 
 
Sep 28, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #2,793 of 18,797

WarriorAnt

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 9, 2009
Posts
4,283
Likes
154
Check out what this Fisher-X-1000 is going for and with 4 days still left!
 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fisher-X-1000-Stereo-Master-Tube-Amplifier-Amp-All-Original-Works-w-Mullard-/260861035492?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D3092947133366907930#ht_4080wt_1165
 
Sep 28, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #2,794 of 18,797

cdnaudiophile

New Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 3, 2011
Posts
41
Likes
10


Quote:
Do you find any difference with grado sr60 unamp and amped? I am asking since my 325i has no noticeable difference from amped.
 
BTW, nice sui. It will be more beautiful if you can take some pic with lights on.
 

 
Not too much, no. I really just like the coloration the amp brings to the phones. It makes the Grados very warm sounding and takes the brightness out of them just a slight bit. I could listen for hours if it wasn't for how uncomfortable the earpads are.
 
Thats not actually my pic. Mine is in that kind of condition though. When I get the one bulb replaced I will take some for sure.
 
 
 
Sep 28, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #2,795 of 18,797

ardgedee

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Posts
3,774
Likes
505
Quote:
Check out what this Fisher-X-1000 is going for and with 4 days still left!


The price looked ridiculous at first glance but after reviewing some old threads on AudioKarma (there are a couple complaining about price variability on this model), I see that for at least four or five years it's been normal for auction prices to spike in the high $1k range now and again. Dramatic price shifts are common for old audio gear (bicycle gear for that matter, speaking as somebody who occasionally uses auction sites for obsolete parts), but antique tube gear seems to have exaggerated peaks. The X-1000 was not only top-of-the-line but it's also rarer than the many iterations of the 18-25 watt X-100 series and X-200 series, any of which can still be had for a fraction of this. So there aren't many on the ground and when there's a rush of interest for one, the price rockets up. Then interest cools and prices plummet again.
 
The >$2k the winner will have to spend on purchase and restoration (maybe >$3k, since I see "all original" and read "needs a full retubing and extensive component replacement") could buy an awfully good used tube amp of roughly the same power by some other manufacturer, but I'm guessing the bidders are fixated on this model specifically.
 
Sep 28, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #2,796 of 18,797

WarriorAnt

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 9, 2009
Posts
4,283
Likes
154


Quote:
The price looked ridiculous at first glance but after reviewing some old threads on AudioKarma (there are a couple complaining about price variability on this model), I see that for at least four or five years it's been normal for auction prices to spike in the high $1k range now and again. Dramatic price shifts are common for old audio gear (bicycle gear for that matter, speaking as somebody who occasionally uses auction sites for obsolete parts), but antique tube gear seems to have exaggerated peaks. The X-1000 was not only top-of-the-line but it's also rarer than the many iterations of the 18-25 watt X-100 series and X-200 series, any of which can still be had for a fraction of this. So there aren't many on the ground and when there's a rush of interest for one, the price rockets up. Then interest cools and prices plummet again.
 
The >$2k the winner will have to spend on purchase and restoration (maybe >$3k, since I see "all original" and read "needs a full retubing and extensive component replacement") could buy an awfully good used tube amp of roughly the same power by some other manufacturer, but I'm guessing the bidders are fixated on this model specifically.


Oh how I wish I had the skills to restore these beauties.
 
 
Sep 28, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #2,797 of 18,797

Meewoo

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Posts
494
Likes
14


Quote:
I Sold The RSA amp because i find the vintage Kenwood 600 sounds wonderful. The KA 7300 Sounds great too.  and it is Cheap.  Easy to mod with fancy or cheap capacitors. 
 


I am re-reading the whole thread and find these nice pegs. Doe anyone know where I can buy them? I really need them to push up the space between my stacks.
 
 
Sep 28, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #2,798 of 18,797

Skylab

Reviewerus Prolificus
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Posts
21,807
Likes
1,009
Location
The Court of the Crimson King
I completely changed out my basement system...






 
Sep 28, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #2,802 of 18,797

Skylab

Reviewerus Prolificus
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Posts
21,807
Likes
1,009
Location
The Court of the Crimson King
Yeah, I am a Pioneer guy it seems! My 9090DB is used just for headphones - I use it with the LCD-2. The Marantz is in the office driving either the HE-6 or B&W N805's. Yes, I have too much gear :D

This system is good for the family, and what can't be seen is an iDevice dock so my kids can connect their iPod/iPhone to play their music.

 
Sep 28, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #2,803 of 18,797

cifani090

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 31, 2010
Posts
3,804
Likes
34
Quote:
Yeah, I am a Pioneer guy it seems! My 9090DB is used just for headphones - I use it with the LCD-2. The Marantz is in the office driving either the HE-6 or B&W N805's. Yes, I have too much gear
biggrin.gif

This system is good for the family, and what can't be seen is an iDevice dock so my kids can connect their iPod/iPhone to play their music.


LOL, tell em' to rip the RCA cable and do it that way, less cables=better sound
biggrin.gif

 
 
Sep 28, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #2,804 of 18,797

5aces

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 11, 2009
Posts
769
Likes
32




Any perceived flaws are just poor lighting,these two pieces are mint,maybe a drop of sweat on the B-1 faceplate from lifting the heavy duty amp.

Still waiting for the 1975 Yamaha C-1 Preamplifier to get back from the shop,triple bubble wrap for the journey...

Using the Sansui AU 20000 Preamplifier section for the 1975 Yamaha B-1 Power Amplifer (until the C-1 returns).

The Yamaha is 160W and the integrated Sansui AU 20000 is 170W.

Let me say the Yamaha lays the smack down on the big Sansui.

Sansui seems to have a different volume circuit design that delivers more power quicker than the Yamaha.

This big 80+ pound VFET Yamaha is a fine amplifier when matched to monitor model speakers.

Roll out the Yamaha NS 1000 or the JBL L 112 speakers and you can't stop listening.

Will be attending the TAVES audio show in Toronto this weekend,so I'll see what new amplifiers draw me in...

These are special beasts. I love mine.


You seem to catch the drift,grateful to have the opportunity to hear this amp even if it breaks later.

Only a few B-1 amplifiers change hands worldwide each year,you and I know why.




 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top