Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners
Apr 3, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #18,557 of 19,122
I have the Onkyo TX-6500 Mk ll. its rated at 100wpc. I have it driving a pair of Rectilinear Highboys in my den. It was a clear,detailed sound. Nowhere near as warm as my Sansui receivers.

I just bought a new(for me) vintage receiver yesterday. Ive been lusting after this receiver for several years,and now I finally have one.

Pics will be posted when it arrives next wednesday.
Nice.

Your parents Onkyo was also a very good receiver, but I think it was more like 40 (RMS) watts/channel. See:

https://classicreceivers.com/category/receivers/onkyo/tx-2500

Your Technics had almost the same power rating--45 watts/channel. See:

https://classicreceivers.com/category/receivers/technics/sa-400

You can check the photos in the links and see if you have cited the correct model numbers.
I actually did not mentions the rating of my parents receiver, although I recently cleaned it and it is still going. I have been to the classic receivers many times, cool site. I got the Technics in perfect shape for only $10.

Apr 4, 2020 at 1:45 AM Post #18,558 of 19,122
Can we add what our favorite speaker pairings have been if they are vintage as well? I would personally be interested in seeing that here as well, but, thats just me.

Apr 4, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #18,559 of 19,122
I still have and use a pair of Advent /1 speakers. I got them at or about the same time I bought my Sansui G-7500. For several decades I paired them together in my home office system. A few years ago I had them refoamed and had work done on their crossovers. They are now paired (along with a pair of modern KEF Q-300's) with my Yamaha R-1000 receiver. My favorite vintage speakers of those I heard over the years are the Advent line and the AR line. When I was in college in the early 70's, my buddy's AR2-AX where my favorites.

All that said, I generally prefer modern speakers pushed and fed by my vintage gear. In addition to my KEF's, I am favorably impressed with the Monitor Audio and Wharfedale speakers perform with vintage receivers. You have to be careful with pairings, as a number of vintage receivers (e.g. Sony and Sansui) only play well with 8 Ohm speakers. Others like Yamaha are OK with 4 or 6 Ohm speakers, but only if that is the only speaker pair they are driving.

Modern speakers I have used are usually happy with amps that deliver at least 20 to 60 watts per channel. That was quite a lot of power relative to what most late 60's and early 70's receivers delivered. My 1971 Pioneer SX-990 put out 28 watts per channel. In that era, the most powerful receiver any of my friends had was a Lafayette that pushed out about 70 watts per channel. He paired it with the AR 2-AX's. No one else have more than 40 watts per channel.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #18,560 of 19,122
Any hints on the incoming?

Are your Sansui(s) in the G series? Earlier than the G?
Both of my Sansuis are on the shelf. My local tech had a 6-8 week wait,and then,well,all hell broke loose in the world,so they will remain on the shelf until this damn virus rids itself.
I have an 881,which is utterly fantastic sounding,but as I said,needs a trip to the tech. I also have a 5000a,which is soooo warm,like way,way warmer than my Glenn OTL. Crazy bass,but not a good match for my gear.

Hint? Hmmmm...well its made in America,and cost near $2K back in 1978....Im sure yall can figure it out. :) Im so stoked!

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #18,561 of 19,122
Sounds like a car to me. There's only one receiver I know of that meets that description (made in the USA or otherwise)--the McIntosh 4100. Until you dropped it from 3K to 2K, I was stumped.

I hear you about your problems with your local tech still having your gear. I picked up 2 Nak 3 head cassette decks that I had repaired up in Austin just hours before Austin shut down all "non-esential" businesses.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #18,562 of 19,122
There's only one receiver I know of that meets that description (made in the USA or otherwise)--the McIntosh 4100.
As I said,yall can probably figure it out.
Ive been wanting a MAC 4100 forever. Cant wait until wednesday.

Apr 4, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #18,563 of 19,122
Here is my Sony STR V6, with a special appearance by the Teac 3340s. The Sony is a really nice receiver, 115wpc. Sony's fly under the radar, there is no Marantz tax if you find one online. I also like the green lights and the FM tuner is great.
33529177534_482c9a0d8a_k.jpg

Apr 4, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #18,564 of 19,122
Here is my Sony STR V6, with a special appearance by the Teac 3340s. The Sony is a really nice receiver, 115wpc. Sony's fly under the radar, there is no Marantz tax if you find one online. I also like the green lights and the FM tuner is great.33529177534_482c9a0d8a_k.jpg
Wow thats a pretty cool and unique looking receiver. I have read that those old Sonys sound good. Is it more detailed sounding ala Pioneer vs. warm Marantz/Sansui?

Apr 4, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #18,565 of 19,122
Here is my Sony STR V6, with a special appearance by the Teac 3340s. The Sony is a really nice receiver, 115wpc. Sony's fly under the radar, there is no Marantz tax if you find one online. I also like the green lights and the FM tuner is great.33529177534_482c9a0d8a_k.jpg
Beautiful picture, I've always been a bit of a Sony fan boy

Apr 4, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #18,566 of 19,122
I have a fully refurbished V-7 that I got for a very good price from a quality vintage stereo sales and service shop in north Austin a couple years ago. They apparently were having trouble moving it. Like the V-6 (which I think has the same exterior dimensions), it is too big and/or heavy to fit into standard audio racks. That is a downside of the power war monster receivers from the mid-70's through the early 80's.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #18,567 of 19,122
Wow thats a pretty cool and unique looking receiver. I have read that those old Sonys sound good. Is it more detailed sounding ala Pioneer vs. warm Marantz/Sansui?

It is hard to say, I would say that it has a warm sound but also detailed. I really like the look of it, it was owned by a couple that got divorced after 50 of marriage years.

I have a fully refurbished V-7 that I got for a very good price from a quality vintage stereo sales and service shop in north Austin a couple years ago. They apparently were having trouble moving it. Like the V-6 (which I think has the same exterior dimensions), it is too big and/or heavy to fit into standard audio racks. That is a downside of the power war monster receivers from the mid-70's through the early 80's.

I have my receivers like this and the Sansui in a larger open rack setup, which allows for these monsters to breath, and I have nothing stacked on them. i have not seen a V7 for sale in my area for some time, although someone is trying to sell a V6 for too much right now in the Nashville area.

Apr 6, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #18,568 of 19,122

Users who are viewing this thread

Back