Calling all Ety owners
Oct 17, 2002 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 41
I ONLY use my Etys at home. I wouldn't wear anything with that much isolation on the street.

Oct 17, 2002 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 41
i use my etys when i have to keep the aircon/heat and fridge on in my dorm room
rolleyes.gif
... but whenever i can afford to turn those off, shut the windows, and turn off the noisy comp, i use the open phones...

Oct 17, 2002 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by OneMalt
I ONLY use my Etys at home. I wouldn't wear anything with that much isolation on the street.

I use my Ety ER-4X only at home...but much less then my Stax phones. I have no problem with using my ER-6 out on the street, as long as I'm stationary.

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2002 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 41
Like OneMalt and RickG, I use my Etys at home--mainly. When I use them elsewhere, I am generally trying to cover up noise that I find annoying.

I agree with what OneMalt said about too much isolation when on the streets. It's dangerous.

Oct 17, 2002 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 41
I primarily use my Etys when I am traveling, alone in a hotel room. Isolation is good when you are alone in a hotel room. Occasionally I will use them at home, but the HP-1s are the go-to cans here at the abode.

Oct 17, 2002 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 41
It's only at home for me. I can't risk taking anything that costs that much out into public. Of course, home is a dorm room, so it's a lot like using them in a noisy subway.
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2002 at 11:32 PM Post #9 of 41
I am like JMT constantly while traveling and at work when I want to tune oout the world and get something finished. At home I will use them occasionally if it is noisy. Most nights are fairly quiet so I will use the HD600's at home while relaxing or working on the PC. I have a source set up next to me that I use while I am on the PC.

Oct 18, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #10 of 41
i use my er6 primarily when i'm walking or on the bus. i feel that since it is so loud on the street with any open phone the volume goes way up, so any safety benefit from hearing ambient noise is cancelled out, and you add the threat of hearing damage on top of it. besides, open cans with loud music cover up the sound of cars just as much as the er6 at a reasonable level, meaning i can still hear car engines and i am saving my hearing as well.

the problem of cord microphonics is gone with my er6, because i did the earhugger mod to them. there is still some bone induction, but if i wear my tevas and walk in time with the music, the thumping footsteps turn into kick drum.
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

Oct 18, 2002 at 1:52 AM Post #11 of 41
Most of the time when I'm at home I listen to my HD600s, purely for comfort reasons. It's simply for enjoyable sitting in front of a computer or in an armchair with those things on than my etys.

In bed at night, I listen to the etys, but only because I can't be bothered moving equipment around.

Actually, there's another reason as well -- I don't like my etys through my amp. They are the er4p, so maybe that's why, but I actually think they sound better straight from an MD than they do through my home rig. Call me crazy...

And I can't be arsed spending AU$100 plus shipping for a conversion cable when I already have great sound through the Senns.

I love my etys with all my heart, and I won't fault their sound, practicality, or comfort now that I have become accustomed to them. But the bald faced truth is that they will never be as comfortable or practical for home use as the HD600, when you can hear the phone, other people, etc. I live by myself, so there's nobody else around to hear someone knocking on the door, for instance.

Oct 18, 2002 at 2:14 AM Post #12 of 41
I almost always use my W2002 at home, because of the comfort factor. Etys go along for trips or at the office.

Oct 18, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #14 of 41
redshifter, what's this earhugger mod u're talking about? it reduces microphonics?! i definitely could use that... and i'm assuming it works on ety4xs as well as ur 6s, eh? and what's bone induction?? and why tevas???

Oct 18, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #15 of 41
My ETYs are used for travel & work exclusively. The isolation & detail are superb, but it's too much isolation for home. My wife (who also loves phones) goes crazy when the ETYs are in at home, communication just doesn't work. Plus (despite my best attempts to fry a new JMT built META42), my Senns 580s sound soooo sweet with that amp, plus they are comfortable as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back