Calling all DT 990 Pro owners!
May 4, 2013 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Yazen

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I got my (Supposedly Brand New)  DT 990 Pro replacement unit in the mail this morning.  I intend to give these as a gift so the cosmetic condition that these are arriving in is bothering me.  The original had scuffs on the buttons and some blemishes, this one too has some cosmetic issues:

The branding was not fitted properly, after pressing it seems to stay put

A bit of scuffing from the carton

Buttons are scuffed as well

Branding protruding from the cup, after a very firm press it stays put.

So everyone, this is my second "Brand New" unit.  Is this how the DT990 Pro arrives? 

The seller is an Authorized Beyerdynamic Retailer, and they are very polite about it all.

EDIT:  Apologies for the poor photos, I rushed this thread without much thought.

May 4, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #2 of 18
I, too, suffer from some mild form of OCD. You're going to forever run the retail lottery until you go over to Germany to build your perfect pair.

I am a hypocrite because I would be pissed about similar issues if they arrived to me in that condition, but nothing you're describing seems like a 'big deal,' so to speak. The next pair could be worse...

May 4, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:
I, too, suffer from some mild form of OCD. You're going to forever run the retail lottery until you go over to Germany to build your perfect pair.

I am a hypocrite because I would be pissed about similar issues if they arrived to me in that condition, but nothing you're describing seems like a 'big deal,' so to speak. The next pair could be worse...

As they are meant to be a gift, I am more concerned about getting a used headphone when I'm being told it is a new one.

Sure I may have a mild OCD when it comes to receiving as described, nothing to highlight here as I'm sure everyone has a similar condition in this respect.

If they could not take the time to properly brand their headphone it makes me as a consumer worried about the quality of the unit...

Anyone besides me receive a brand new DT 990 Pro in this condition?

May 5, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #5 of 18
My 770s had some scuffing on the band from the rather minimalistic packaging that Beyer uses but it rubbed off. The plastic separating from the cup is what would bother me unless it just snaps back in and isn't glued. I expect better from the Germans. :)

May 5, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 18
They look repackaged to me, I'd send them back unless you bought refurbished product, then its a different story.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

May 5, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:
My 770s had some scuffing on the band from the rather minimalistic packaging that Beyer uses but it rubbed off. The plastic separating from the cup is what would bother me unless it just snaps back in and isn't glued. I expect better from the Germans.
smily_headphones1.gif

The part that isn't glued only fits in (doesn't snap).  Even a knockoff would have a better finish lol

Quote:
They look repackaged to me, I'd send them back unless you bought refurbished product, then its a different story.

Would an authorized sellers do such a thing?  They are listed on the Beyerdynamic website, so it only adds to my confusion..

May 5, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #8 of 18
Working in the retail game many years ago, quite a few store demos were boxed back up to be sold as new. You had to rotate the demos so they didn't get to dirty or coloured by the sun if it was a window display. Packages were carefully opened so they could be closed up "looking new". I would contact them and express your concerns about gifting something that looks used and see what they will do about it. They should exchange it, tell them you are pretty sure this was a store demo they sent you.

Good luck!

May 5, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
Working in the retail game many years ago, quite a few store demos were boxed back up to be sold as new. You had to rotate the demos so they didn't get to dirty or coloured by the sun if it was a window display. Packages were carefully opened so they could be closed up "looking new". I would contact them and express your concerns about gifting something that looks used and see what they will do about it. They should exchange it, tell them you are pretty sure this was a store demo they sent you.

Good luck!

After my first exchange and I conveyed my concerns for the second unit this is how they responded,

we don't have much control over any scuffs from the manufacturing plant. if you want to exchange for another pair we can do that but that pair might have the exact same issues.
thanks

Should I throw in more shipping $ and see what happens?  Would be a shame if the third one had the same exact issue lol.  They have been more than courteous, discounting me down to a $155+$7.50 (Return shipping).

I don't see why they would give me a demoed unit, though stranger things have happened 
size]
.  I feel rude just thinking of pestering them further given their helpfulness.

May 5, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #10 of 18
If that is the way they are coming from beyerdynamic themselves, then I would contact the US beyerdynamic rep and tell them about the terrible way their product leaves the Chinese factories and see if they will exchange your pair with an proper pair. My DT880's came in their carrying case with no marks anywhere and my Ultrasone's came in the same type of packaging as your 990's but everything was covered in plastic wrap. These things happen, the latest Leatherman multitools were all covered in grease and fingerprints in their packages. The store seems to be mote than willing to help, usually not the case if they are trying to get rid of demo product. Again I'd contact beyer US and see if they will exchange them with an inspected pair. You shouldn't have to go through such a hassle when buying new product.

May 5, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
If that is the way they are coming from beyerdynamic themselves, then I would contact the US beyerdynamic rep and tell them about the terrible way their product leaves the Chinese factories and see if they will exchange your pair with an proper pair. My DT880's came in their carrying case with no marks anywhere and my Ultrasone's came in the same type of packaging as your 990's but everything was covered in plastic wrap. These things happen, the latest Leatherman multitools were all covered in grease and fingerprints in their packages. The store seems to be mote than willing to help, usually not the case if they are trying to get rid of demo product. Again I'd contact beyer US and see if they will exchange them with an inspected pair. You shouldn't have to go through such a hassle when buying new product.

Yeah, I am concerned about the sound quality.  If they could not even take the time to brand them right who is to say they even give a second look at their internal work.
Thanks again :wink:

May 5, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #12 of 18
So I contacted Beyerdynamic USA,

Hello, I am a new owner of you DT-990 Pro 250 Ohms headphones.  First and foremost I would like to express how unsatisfied I am with the cosmetic quality of the pair I have received.

I have purchased and exchanged two brand new units from Pitbull Audio, an Authorized Seller.

My unit has scuffing on the headband and buttons.
The DT-990 Pro branding was not fitted properly on both sides, I the consumer had to fix this.

If your company cannot even take the time to brand their own product properly, how does your company expect consumers like myself to feel?

Even knock-offs brand their own products properly, when I see a genuine product arrive twice like this, it makes me doubt that Beyerdynamic even cares about the sound quality their headphones produce.

I am contacting in hopes of receiving a unit that was manufactured with quality, inside and out.  

To get two headphones in poor condition is making a bold statement, I have never experienced such until I bought the DT-990 Pro.

Hoping for a response on this matter,

If I receive a response I will post it here, let us see what excuse they will pull first.  
size]

May 5, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #13 of 18
My bet is they look after you proper... Fingers crossed. :D

May 7, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #14 of 18
No response yet, I ended up keeping them for myself and buying a Nook HD+ instead lol.

Hooked up to my Musiland 02 I'm not hearing the earth shattering bass everyone has been talking about XD

The mids aren't as forward as the AD900X but they aren't laid back, when I read they were V shaped I was thinking M-50 lol.

Branding needs to be glued, I'll get to that later (probably never).  When trying to pry it a little my finger nail made scratches along the strip.  What kind of plastic do they use on these things 
biggrin.gif

So far I'm satisfied on how they sound, though I was hoping to hear some ear rupturing bass!  Maybe some burn-in will tighten the punch

Hating the build quality though:

1 - Headband takes extreme force to adjust
2 - Easily scratched, even by a fingernail
3 - The plastic halves connecting the headband to the cups were molded right, they look like were pieced together by a monkey

This will continue to annoy me, but a whole lot less so since I'm not gifting them >.>

May 7, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #15 of 18
They're hard to adjust now, but in a year they will freely slide up and down and you'll wish they were still stiff.

Stinks about the build assessment, but they should eventually break in to sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back