Calling all DotA players!
Jan 27, 2010 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

planx

Might be Ironman, or some fat kid.
Hi who here plays Defence of the Ancients?
I play regularly and quite addicted to it..
So please if anyone plays or anyone wondering what the game is about please post!
Im also thinking of starting a game of DotA so as Head-Fiers we can have fun and discuss material such as headphones and ect..
Also post up your DotA builds for Heroes to share with others.

Slardar FTW
Planx on BNet West
Cheers!

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 30
I'm MD1032 on Bnet East. I don't play DOTA online much because I suck, but me and my friends will play it on LAN. It's probably one of the better UMS maps on WarIII right now but it's been dumbed down a lot since the old days IMO.

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 30
I have not played DotA for a long time now, but play Heroes of Newerth regularly. The reason why I prefer HoN to DotA is that it's much easier to host and join games. There are a lot less leavers in public HoN than public bnet. With DotA it was impossible to play anything else than pickup games or GG client (Garena nowdays I think).

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #5 of 30
I used to play DotA in a very high skillset (I played in closed leagues basically for Div 1-3 player, i.e. around the top 200 in the world: IHCS1-2 and DotaInvite, Both in Garena + I've played in countless tournaments in many different teams). That was already about 2 years ago, so I'm sure a lot has changed. I have been able to first blood some of the worlds best players while being alone against them on a lane (even have this on replay somewhere).

I've currently stopped playing DotA but instead play HoN mostly because all my friends play HoN. Also because at the level I played the gaming became very serious. We had training hours and even the most minor mistakes caused a storm of flame within the team (because when you have to chain spells even a ms of delay can cause your whole team to die).

Interestingly my dated skills seem to be very useful, i.e.:

- Lane control: Being able to last hit and deny properly. Not just the act itself, but also when to push and when to deny more. I can still properly hold a lane still i.e. so that the lane wont be pushed towards either direction, (by proper timing of last-hit) just out of the reach of my closest tower, effectively allowing me to last-hit every creep, assuming nobody comes and disturbs this. I strongly recommend you try to learn this as this is the best way to farm. My record cs is something along the lines of 70 creepkills + 40 denies in 10 mins.

- Always keep a teleport scroll with you (especially early game and especially if you have a stun!).

- When retreating, do try to keep an appropriate distance to your opponents, i.e. don't run like a headless chicken, your last stun might allow you to kill your opponent with the help of teammates. There is nothing more tempting than a hero that is almost dead but just out of reach. Using shadows and proper team communication makes this very effective.

-There are no "perfect" builds for any character. It all depends on your 'task' or position in consideration with the team. For example a "minor priority target", usually a tank, does not have to get tanking items, if he notices that he is ignored in team-fights. For example a centaur is usually ignored until most intel heroes are killed. If the centaur gets radi early, the will be a primary target, which makes him more useful (and therefore should then get more health). Same with axe.

- Intel heroes with a lot of damage potential / disable, such as rasta, should always get a lof of HP early, so they can tank some of the inevitable damage.

- Heroes with an damage / attack speed aura, such as ogre magi or venge are greatly under-rated. A ogre magi works great as a disabler, and combined with a good carry hero makes a very strong combination. For example: If your team picks Venge, Moon, Magi, Omni, ES, you would have moon and venge with stacking damage auras, allowing venge to have a huge damage. With magis attack speed + omni spells moon lategame would be rather unbeatable. Es would clear the opponents from creeps and initiate, allowing moon to ulti and go crazy.

- Silence spells can win matches. One properly placed silence can completely destroy the chain of spells the opposing team has planned, therefore a hero with silence should always stay back as to not get caught by the opposing team. Same with significant disablers (blink dagger users).

- My personal rule is to never go to a lane without decent amounts of heal / mana regen. I can sometimes play for 20-30 minutes without going to the base a single time. This allows for more farming and xp gain, as well as the possibility to help your team. I recommend at least a total of 6 tangoos (9 if carry) and 1-3 mana potions if laning normally.

Hope that helps a little. If you have any more "advanced" questions just post in this thread and I will gladly answer.

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 30
Just started to play HoN lately. I used to play DotA for a long time. From 5.84 to I don't even know when. I was pretty good at it for a while, but I didn't want to invest any more time in it really. If you play two (pickup) games your evening is gone.

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 30
We play this at camp all the time! Fun pick up game. Kinda learned about lane control, denying, and last hitting towards the end of camp. Can be addicting though :S

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 30
Used to play DotA, but moved on to HoN as well.

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #11 of 30
DotA just messed up my grades... ha.. i guess ill stop playing for a bit and study.. and god i played dota on starcraft. its terrible

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #12 of 30
Have been playing for many years. Great game! Last hit and deny is critical IMO. I rarely use INT heroes. I suck at casting spells haha.

Feb 7, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #13 of 30
This is the only game i have played (and been) playing for about the last 5 years, started with map number 6.06. To be honest i have'nt played in the last 6 months or so, but i believe i still have respectable skill. I used to play on Azeroth at first, and then GG Client, which is now known as Garena.

Anybody remember those Apex vs CoL days, and the legendary days of CoL.FeaR ??

Feb 7, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #14 of 30
Students these days, if you are one, should avoid MMO's. WoW is basically a drug, it'll mess you up real quick, suck in all your money, and has virtually no end to it. I know men who dunk thousands (USD) into this game since it first came out. Of course DotA is free, but you battle your "friends" and you don't want to let them down by quitting DotA, whatever. Stick to single player, or don't game at all. Little Flash games could kill quite some time, too.

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by InFn-0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the only game i have played (and been) playing for about the last 5 years, started with map number 6.06. To be honest i have'nt played in the last 6 months or so, but i believe i still have respectable skill. I used to play on Azeroth at first, and then GG Client, which is now known as Garena.

Anybody remember those Apex vs CoL days, and the legendary days of CoL.FeaR ??

This was more of a US thing. If I recall correctly, CoL we're beaten on numerous accounts by MYM, srs and multiple other EU based clans. But still, FeaR is legendary (although at 6.06 I think he had gone past his prime time?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back