calling all custom mould wearers, need help with my company!
Jul 21, 2005 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

omendelovitz

Member of the Trade: Purity Audio
Hey all,

I am considering taking the leap of getting custom ear moulds for my Shure e4's and am not sure if there are any other choices besides sensaphonics, and/or if there are any better choices than them for my custom moulds. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Jul 21, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz
Hey all,

I am considering taking the leap of getting custom ear moulds for my Shure e4's and am not sure if there are any other choices besides sensaphonics, and/or if there are any better choices than them for my custom moulds. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

No there are no other High end headphones out there..

http://www.ultimateears.com/custom/a...e-artists.html

Boy I wish there was a way I could get what the artists are using. I guess that is an ulimate dream.

Jul 21, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
No there are no other High end headphones out there..

http://www.ultimateears.com/custom/a...e-artists.html

Boy I wish there was a way I could get what the artists are using. I guess that is an ulimate dream.

No,no. I don't want custom phones, just the moulds for my e4's. Sensaphonics is the official Shure supplier for these things, I wasn't sure if any others did the same thing...

Jul 21, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

A lot of artists do use the UE 10; what do you mean?!?

Jul 21, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
A lot of artists do use the UE 10; what do you mean?!?

I meant it as a joke. I thought he was asking if there are any custom headphones besides the sens...

As for your question about the Sens. I am not a specialized but I don't think so. There isn't a big market for these things. Can't track down a deal on getting custom molds. At least that would be news to me if you could.

I would honestly think of selling the e4s and getting $200 towards the UE-5s.

Jul 21, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

I meant it as a joke. I thought he was asking if there are any custom headphones besides the sens...

As for your question about the Sens. I am not a specialized but I don't think so. There isn't a big market for these things. Can't track down a deal on getting custom molds. At least that would be news to me if you could.

I would honestly think of selling the e4s and getting $200 towards the UE-5s.

I don't know. I mean I have the 30 day thing w/ earphonesolutions, so I could just get (most of) my money back, but I got them for $177, so after I return them, I'd only really have $150 towards the 5's. That said, are the 5's really worth the $350 difference in price (in my case that's the price diff)?

Jul 21, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

I don't know. I mean I have the 30 day thing w/ earphonesolutions, so I could just get (most of) my money back, but I got them for $177, so after I return them, I'd only really have $150 towards the 5's. That said, are the 5's really worth the $350 difference in price (in my case that's the price diff)?

Well I could better see getting the shure e5s or Weston UM2s. I haven't heard the e4's but I have read the reviews. I have the Shure e5s and from reading articles, the e5s/UM2s have much greater bass response. I am thinking about getting my dad either the UE pro.5's or the Weston UM2's. Weston UM2's are close to the e5s. The e4 sound is neutral, detailed, compared to Westons, pro.5 or Shure e5s. The e5s and UM2s have dual drivers. This makes for better bass response because one drive is designed for bass.

Now the UE-5s that is a different level. You just don't compare UE customs to unversal units(e4, e5s, UM2). There is a difference. You get the bass and you get the detail. Granted not the detail of the UE-10s.

That being said, most people who have canal headphones want the bass to drain out the other noises. Or put a skip in there step. You don't sit and home and listen to canal phones. Maybe if going to only use them in the office. I use SA5000 or Grado's when I am in the office. I rarly use UE-10s. Only because people come and talk to me like I am not wearing a headphone.

So anyways, yes in my mind if you have the money and going to use the headphones alot don't mod the e4s and do the next step. Either the UM2s or the UE-5s. Well that is if you are lacking the bass.

Jul 21, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 11
I agree with chrisfromalbany. The problem with gettting molds for stock IEMs is that while you are getting a custom fit for your ear, the actual distance of the bores from your ear varies from person to person. After all, the entire stock unit is simply inserted into your new molds. There's no effort to balance the bore distance -- that would require a completely custom fit IEM. Indeed you might even be disappointed with the result -- that is, the sound from your stock IEMs might degrade with the custom molds. Also, the new unit of your mold plus stock IEMs can get pretty large -- again, the IEM is simply inserted into the custom mold.

I faced your exact decision -- I wanted to get the comfort of a custom fit, but when I dug into things I realized that really the best thing to do would be to go all the way and get custom IEMs. I bought the UE5cs and simply couldn't be happier with the result!

Jul 21, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by random person
I agree with chrisfromalbany. The problem with gettting molds for stock IEMs is that while you are getting a custom fit for your ear, the actual distance of the bores from your ear varies from person to person. After all, the entire stock unit is simply inserted into your new molds. There's no effort to balance the bore distance -- that would require a completely custom fit IEM. Indeed you might even be disappointed with the result -- that is, the sound from your stock IEMs might degrade with the custom molds. Also, the new unit of your mold plus stock IEMs can get pretty large -- again, the IEM is simply inserted into the custom mold.

I faced your exact decision -- I wanted to get the comfort of a custom fit, but when I dug into things I realized that really the best thing to do would be to go all the way and get custom IEMs. I bought the UE5cs and simply couldn't be happier with the result!

Given your signature, I would expect no less from you. I understand. I wanted the moulds for custom fit, and with the exception of recessed highs, I like the E4's. Can't say that I can afford the UE 5 series, and the resistance on the E5's is pretty high, so I guess I'll stick with the foamies for now. Have either of you (randomperson, chrisfromalbany) ever tried the comply tips that come with the Westone's? Are they worth a try over the standard foam units?

Jul 21, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Hey all,

Thanks in advance!

Click on the Ear Plug store link - top right of this site page

Click on custom ear plugs

click on custom ear phone molds

They don't list the E4 but you can specify "other" and list this in comments on check out - cost $115 and you make your own ear mold casts with a friend's help

Jul 22, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Given your signature, I would expect no less from you. I understand. I wanted the moulds for custom fit, and with the exception of recessed highs, I like the E4's. Can't say that I can afford the UE 5 series, and the resistance on the E5's is pretty high, so I guess I'll stick with the foamies for now. Have either of you (randomperson, chrisfromalbany) ever tried the comply tips that come with the Westone's? Are they worth a try over the standard foam units?

I tried all the others but the tri-flanges seems to be the perfect fit for me. I used the ones from the ER-4P. The steam was alittle longer and went into the ear alittle further. I also wet the tri-flange before putting it into my ear, made a better seal and easiler to put into ear. Not everyones ears are the same and some this wont work for. I found this to be the best seal, but a pain to take in and out. The custom UE-10s give me the same fit but easiler to put in and take out. Maybe alittle better. Didn't care for the foam one. Just pain to press down foam before puttting them in. Example some asked you a question. You take them out answer the question. Then have to press the foam tip down again to get a good seal.

So Tri-f. was the easiest maintanence wize as well. I could go on.. The Foam was fall apart, sometimes in the ear. they collect wax and look nasty. Tri-F. easiler to clear looked nicer after awhile of use. Other tips silicone didn't seem to have as good a seal. After having e5 for over a year I used either the silicone or tri-f. Get the UM2 a dual driver unit passes a single driver. Only really audio purist the need neutral sound like the e4s over e5. Give the UM2 more neutral of the two (e5 or UM2) a shot. That is my opinion is the update for you. What are they $325 on ebay or online. You wont be disappointed.

-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back