Calling all Audioengine 5 owners
Jul 4, 2011 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DecimalCoyote

New Head-Fier
i am going to a set of these speakers and i have just 1 question, is there any sound difference between the black/white set and the bamboo set?

I ask this because i have a set of bamboo ones on order (they are just coming into aus) and i was thinking that is there is no actual difference in SQ then i could save myself a  few dollars and get a black set which would also look better with my set-up.

so again is there any difference in sound quality between the black/white pair and the bamboo pair?

thanks

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 6
If it's a bamboo veneer then there should be absolutely no difference. It might just be that the bamboo ones cost a bit more because instead of a coat of paint it's an applied veneer of bamboo.

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #4 of 6
Does it say what material the others are made of? For example, if the speakers are normally encased in plastic or metal they'll echo more but if it's normally particle board then I would expect it to behave acoustically in a manner rather similar to bamboo.

Jul 5, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
i am going to a set of these speakers and i have just 1 question, is there any sound difference between the black/white set and the bamboo set?

I ask this because i have a set of bamboo ones on order (they are just coming into aus) and i was thinking that is there is no actual difference in SQ then i could save myself a  few dollars and get a black set which would also look better with my set-up.

so again is there any difference in sound quality between the black/white pair and the bamboo pair?

thanks

Your post is about the A5, but, I believe the FAQ for the A4 (non-powered version) regarding the sonic advantage of Bamboo still applies. From Audioengine's FAQ [http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-P4#faq]:

Quote:
Is the bamboo version a veneer and does the AP4 bamboo version sound better than the black or white finished cabinets?
The AP4 enclosure is made of solid carbonized bamboo, not a veneer. The bamboo cabinets were tuned to sound the same as the MDF speakers, but the density of bamboo will give it natural acoustic advantages over MDF material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back