Call me crazy, but I need a dark/balanced CDP or headamp
Sep 2, 2002 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

The Quality Guru

Blah! he says.
I predict that I will soon get the MSP over the RS-1 when I have the money (this is because I need a more neutral headphone than my W100 for rock-and the RS-1 does not fit the bill) Most say that the MSP is brighter than the already slightly bright RS-1. I've heard that with the right source (and if necessary, the additon of a power conditioner) the MSP will balance out and sound great. I may need a darker sounding CDP to make this happen- or maybe a dark sounding amp instead?

What is the best way to go about taming the brightness on the MSP when I get it?

MSP owners, how have you gone about doing this? Will darker tubes in a tube amp help? If possible I don't want to sacrifice tons of airiness or treble detail. Or am I requesting the impossible?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. You head-fiers have never let me down when it comes to stupid questions that I ask like this. And I appreciate that greatly.

Regards, Luke

Sep 2, 2002 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 13
So you are trying to get the rs1's to sound like hp1000's?

Biggie.

Sep 2, 2002 at 3:19 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ

Biggie.

I'd like the "punchiness" of the RS-1 and *some* of the neutrality of the HP-1000- not all of it- I still would like a little warmth, but less warmth and colouration than my W100. Another reason I do not want the HP-1000 is because it is used, and until I can hear that it functions properly before buying, I don't think spending $600 on a used headphone is wise in most instances.

I'm hoping for a demo model from Alessandro for around $500 at which time I'll jump on the deal.

Sep 2, 2002 at 8:08 AM Post #4 of 13
Luke,

have you ever tried a different source than your PCDP? I'd upgrade the source first, before investing in another headphone. But then, I have never had your reservations about the W100's performance with rock music.

Sep 2, 2002 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 13
The NotoriousBIG_PJ:
Quote:

I don't think that is possible ever
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2002 at 4:04 PM Post #7 of 13
I think what you should strive for is a neutral source and a neutral amp. I know my cha-47 is on the bright side, but once I get a job, a new amp will be on the way.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Sep 2, 2002 at 5:09 PM Post #8 of 13
How balanced are the Sony ds500v/ds650v or the Marantz CD6000 OSE? I don't want the source to top $300, because diminishing returns set in very fast.

And a balanced amp would be what? The Ear+/Ear 4? RA-1? Moretto + impedencer? Meta42?

Thanks again for any help.

Sep 2, 2002 at 5:58 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

I don't want the source to top $300, because diminishing returns set in very fast.

Luke,

in my experience, this isn't true at all. Distortions and inaccuracies caused by digital sources tend to be of the truly nasty kind. To me, there is nothing as insufferable and fatiguing as a cheap CDP. If you spend more than $2,000 or $3,000, then you are in diminishing returns territory. But below that?

Better CDPs tend to be smoother, less fatiguing, with more ambience information and with truly slamming bass as you have never heard when you have listened only to PCDPs so far. How much money you'd have to spend in order to achieve something like musical satisfaction, I don't know. But if you try some more expensive CDPs you might find that there are major differences.

Sep 2, 2002 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 13
I tend to agree with The Quality Guru about diminishing returns. These days, virtually all CDPs, cheap or expensive (with some exceptions, like Wadia), use the same chips, either from Analog Devices or Burr Brown. There's simply not a lot for manufacturers to do other than include a beefy, well-regulated power supply, quality caps, and a few other niceties. Plus, now that most DACs do 88/96 or 192, the high-cut digital filter that caused all the awful high frequency artifacts in early CDPs is so much easier for DAC engineers to implement well.

That said, even a neutral source might sound bright with Grados (I've only heard the SR-125, so I can only guess about the RS-1), so be sure to audition gear before you buy, or look for a dark amp.

Sep 2, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #11 of 13
Wodgy and Tomcat,

I agree with both of you actually, even though you seem to have different takes on the whole CDP thing. Tomcat, I do know that very good CDP's do have better ambience retrieval ability, as I've heard this before and do know it's true. And I also agree with the fact that if you compared a very good $2000 CDP to a $300 one, you could likely tell a difference, although not $1700 dallars worth, hence the reason many people have coined the phrase "diminishing returns."

Although Wodgy has a point as well, in that good technology found in more expensive players of yesterday are being installed in the cheaper players of today. I don't think that's exactly what he said, but I interpreted it that way . . .
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Also, I really can't exceed $300 because anything over that would force my on a diet of Ramen for a while. (Well, not really, but still, it's too much for a CDP for a student IMO).

Sep 2, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy

That said, even a neutral source might sound bright with Grados (I've only heard the SR-125, so I can only guess about the RS-1), so be sure to audition gear before you buy, or look for a dark amp.

The rs1's are not like the sr-125's. :p

Biggie.

Sep 3, 2002 at 3:39 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

How balanced are the Sony ds500v/ds650v or the Marantz CD6000 OSE?

Not good. I suggest buying used on Audiogon to get the most of your limited budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back