Call for a loan 4 measurement (IOW please let me borrow your headphones)
Jun 13, 2012 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

udauda

100+ Head-Fier

UPDATED ON 05/19/13: Due to an unfortunate circumstance, general analysis on Sennheiser HD800 & STAX SR-009 data will be disposed. I sincerely apologize anetode for all the trouble.

Contributors' list for this call:

1. Sennheiser HD800 & STAX SR-009: anetode, aka Gennadiy
2. Sony PFR-V1: vAsurada
3. Audeze LCD-2 Rev.2: Audeze themselves

I wonder if anybody would be willin' & generous enough to let me borrow your headphones, so that I can analyze the working principle behind the products.

The current headphones of interest:

1. Ear speakers: SONY PFR-V1 analyzed here / AKG K-1000 still needed
  2. Ring radiators: Sennheiser HD800 General analysis needed & the principle of ring-radiator drivers is already described here and here, with the courtesy of anetode
  3. Isodynamic drivers: Fostex T50RP, analyzed here / LCD-2 rev2 analyzed here
  4. Electrostatic drivers:  STAX lambda PRO analyzed hereSTAX SR-009 still needed

If you let me borrow any of these expensive hi-end devices, I will analyze them in great detail. 

I live in California, and I will return the product unharmed & intact & insured + fully calibrated data included. (I am currently analyzing a fellow head-fier's IEMs as well) Send me a PM, and we'll talk about the arrangement.

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:
I wonder if anybody would be willin' & generous enough to let me borrow your headphones, so that I can analyze the working principle behind the products.

The current headphones of interest:

AKG K-1000 (I am working on the principle of free-field headphones)
Sennheiser HD800 (working on the principle of ring-radiator drivers)
Any type of orthodynamic headphones

If you let me borrow any of these expensive hi-end devices, I will analyze them in great detail. Please take a look at my analysis on SONY PFR-V1 (yet another free-field technology):

SONY PFR-V1 part1: The electroacoustic headgear
SONY PFR-V1 part2: The combined hybrid
SONY PFR-V1 Appendix: Free-air analysis

I live in California, and I will return the product unharmed & intact & insured + fully calibrated data included. (I am currently analyzing a fellow head-fier's IEMs as well) Send me a PM, and we'll talk about the arrangement.

You've got to be kidding !!??
Perhaps if through my solicitor an escrow or trust account is set up with a minimum $1500 er phone (or $3000+) for both of my phones.

I've read your SONY PFR-V1 analysis - you've really got to be kidding !!!???

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 15
I ain't kidding, brother. I've got better things to do than that. I am currently working on other Head-Fiers' headphones along with collecting test samples from various headphone manufacturers.

Jun 18, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 15
My apologies - best of luck.  Look forward to reading your reviews.

Jun 19, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
My apologies - best of luck.  Look forward to reading your reviews.

No offense taken. Yes, I am looking at a very long shot, about a year or two, here with this call; there must be someone out there who'd like to support my cause.

Jul 2, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 15
I can vouch for udauda and he is surely not kidding, he's currently borrowing IEMs from different users. The knowledge he will bring to the table is unlike most of what you find here. 

Jul 14, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #8 of 15
Bought Fostex T50RP, so I don't think I'll need another ortho anytime soon! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #10 of 15
I hope I could borrow a STAX ED-1 diffuse-field equalizer, specifically made for Lambda-PRO. I'd love to purchase one, but I can't find one! 

By the way, this thread itself has not come to any definite fruition yet, but I still believe someone would support my cause. (K3003 was from a non Head-Fier friend)

Dec 21, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #11 of 15
The very first one who answered my call is anetode, who let me keep his HD800 for analysis for a full month. With his support, I was not only able to measure the ring radiator's directivity characteristics within the housing, but also was able to come up with a nice hypothesis in Sennheiser's intention for designing this domeless driver configuration. Now I have a simulation setup ready to go for going into further details. Thank you, anetode! You've became the #1 on the contributor's list for the call.

And I just added STAX SR-009, perhaps the most expensive headphone on my list. How dare am I. 

May 19, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #12 of 15
An unfortunate event has occured with my simulator. Consequently, general analysis on Sennheiser HD800 & STAX SR-009 data will be disposed, as they need to be analyzed once again. I sincerely apologize anetode(Gennadiy) for all the trouble.

May 19, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #13 of 15
What are you trying to achieve here? What are you trying to prove/disprove with the analysis? Just curious what the end goal is. Thx.

May 19, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #14 of 15

What are you trying to achieve here? What are you trying to prove/disprove with the analysis? Just curious what the end goal is. Thx.

NP, my end goal is same as yours: curiosity. The focus is to retrieve as much data as possible from the technology used in designing these headphones, so that they can be looked up for any future reference. For instance, ear speakers have so far proven to be unsuccessful in terms of truly simulating a loudspeaker listening, from Stax Sigma to AKG K1000, and finally, to Sony PFR-V1. By comparing the actual data against scholastic principles, patent documents, historical references, and developer statements, I think we can come up with something meaningful here.

If anybody's interested in this cause, loan me your gears for a week or two! 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I'll make it worth your while. (And I promise I'll never repeat the dumb mistake ever again.. I can't thank Anetode enough)

Jul 2, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #15 of 15
Audeze LCD-2 Rev.2 has been added, along with Sony PFR-V1 and Stax SR-Lambda Pro. Audeze was generous enough to send me a demo pair. Once I borrow HD800/SR009 again from anetode, the only remaining item will be AKG K-1000. Anybody willing to lend me a pair? 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back