CAL! or FA004? klipsch image one?
Mar 28, 2011 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

diodiel

500+ Head-Fier
hey these two seems really equal in price and praise ^_^  they would be a great match against each other.
i wonder if anyone had tried them both? any1? im just hunting for fa-004 then i saw these CAL! and they seem really popular as well.

i would  use them at home/portable.. m50 is canceled cuz of its size and cable length, hd25 is too uncomfty and has weak ss.
i just wanted something better than the mainstream ones "p5,bose,vmoda,beats"

Edit: i could probably add in Klipsch Image One
Edit: oh man t50p looks sweet as well, any comment?

Mar 28, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 8
If anything work out what you prefer when listening to music. I preferred a HD428 over the CAL! mainly because I disliked the way the CAL! presented the low end and the headphone cable was bad. If a headphone has the presentation of the music you like it is your kind of headphone. For me the HD428 just sounded more even and less shouty but then I prefer the more 'boring' sounding headphones.

Mar 28, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
If anything work out what you prefer when listening to music. I preferred a HD428 over the CAL! mainly because I disliked the way the CAL! presented the low end and the headphone cable was bad. If a headphone has the presentation of the music you like it is your kind of headphone. For me the HD428 just sounded more even and less shouty but then I prefer the more 'boring' sounding headphones.

oh man fa-003 sounded perfect for you its so neutral... id dig the 428s if they wer closed :frowning2: they look quite open tho
thanks for the advice tho! i read that cal's iso is pretty bad... sooo i might head to image one vs fa-004

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #6 of 8
Honestly, I doubt it. They're fairly far down the line from the 598 or 600. I have a pair and they're... not BAD. Just... boring. But that has more to do with my taste in sound than anything else and I'm sure there are others who have more knowledge on the subject around here than I do.

I also have a pair of Shure SRH750DJs and a pair of Phiaton MS400s. I by FAR prefer the sound of the MS400s or the 750DJs over the HD428. I'm about even when it comes to the sound on the MS400s vs. the 750DJs. However, the MS400s are way, way more comfortable than the 750DJs. So even though the 750DJs have a bigger soundstage while the MS400s are more in your face, the MS400s win more often than not due to comfort. (At least for me. I have small ears, so the MS400s are actually easily circumaural for me.) Both of those headphones are far more bassy than the HD428, but I listen to mostly electronica (trance, dubstep, DnB, hardstyle), so it's sorta needed for those genres. However, I recently discovered that Adele sounds pretty good on the MS400s. (As in, I can't stop listening, and usually that's not my genre of music! Her latest album, 21. That girl can SING. Wow.)

Er, anyway. I've also got a pair of M50's around here for reference. They don't get used much (I really don't see the bass that folks talk about with the M50's, but I'm new at this, so maybe I'm not trained to hear it. Not sure) between the MS400s and the 750DJs. But they're closer to the HD428 than the other headphones I have available to me.

I also randomly picked up a pair of XB500s (on sale, plus a nearly-expired gift card made it a $14 purchase!). When EQ'ed using RPGWizard's EQ setup, they're almost on-par with the 750DJs and by FAR more comfortable. I wouldn't wear them out of the house, but those earpads make it feel like your head is being hugged in the kindest, softest, most awesome way. The bass on them is nuts, though, definitely nuts.

...and those are my adventures in mid-fi. Or whatever -fi folks would call it.

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #7 of 8
If you want a simple but cheap and honest headphone the HD428 is strangely accomplished, my opinion.

If portable matters the PX200 II is a good bet, if you can try one. Still, there are a lot of headphones to choose from.

Mar 28, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 8
@inquartata woah i had the 750djs too it just broke, but it sounded really fun. lots of ppl like ms400 too.. im just scared cuz it looks fragile and stuff. right now i just have the Vibe that i fixed using another broken vibe lol sounds good with electronic stuff and bass. but sometimes the vocals are weird sounding like unnatural. but yeah thanks  for giving an up for the ms400.. they look sexy for portables too.. i wanted the crossfades too due to their amazing accessories and case.. the aviators sounds quite clear too but not monstrous on bass, still awesome but quite expensive.. good work on that xb500s tho!

@deepfunk yea i shall look for more, its interesting to browse around reviews.. kills so much time tho cuz time flies in this website

Users who are viewing this thread

Back