CAL Gamma DAC
Oct 2, 2001 at 3:04 AM Post #16 of 33
DanG, probably not...

I was just giving an example as to what order of magnitude a DI/O would probably be better than a Gamma by...

I'm sure high end CDPs would kill the DI/O...

Though, some have noted the DI/O plays better redbook than a SCD-333ES...

Oct 2, 2001 at 3:59 AM Post #17 of 33
Heck, I saw one review on AA where the DI/O came pretty close to a Dodson DAC, and another review by somebody in France who compared it to one of the AudioNote DACS, and preferred the DI/O. We're talking about it beating $1000-3000 DACs, here!
eek.gif

So where's the truth? As usual, probably somewhere in the middle. Personal preference probably played (wow, four straight words starting w/ "p", cool
biggrin.gif
) a major role here. Not to mention, the DI/O is supposed to be hyper-sensitive w/ associated equipment. And I've heard the quality between each unit can vary. Hehe, there're more theories about the DI/O than the Bermuda Triangle!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 2, 2001 at 4:14 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Went to do some reading at the Asylum, and now, I NEED a DI/O.. +6 to your "person rating". All of you (besides DanG, no offence)

LOL!

artdio1.jpg

But it has stirred my interest
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 2, 2001 at 4:33 AM Post #19 of 33
Nice to see all the comments about the DI/O by people who have never heard one
wink.gif

I own a DI/O. In fact I now own two of them as my order from Full Compass came today. The ART DI/O is the real deal. It does sound better than the MSB Link and other inexpensive DAC's. Yes it is VERY sensitive to cables and power supply. Yes it does require some careful handling and matching to get it sound just right. But, it does sound better then ANY DAC costing up to four times its list price when everything falls into place. If you do not like to tweak, to try out different cables etc, then the ART DI/O is not for you. Here is a review of the ART DI/o compared to a nOrh CD-1. This is a tube output CD player that lists for $900.00 that is considered to be a steal at that price.
http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forum...75&forum=17&25

Also check out this new thread on AA
http://www.AudioAsylum.com/audio/dig...ges/29759.html

I have made cables for the ART. I have stopped offering them for a while because I cannot get the Neutrik gold plated 1/4" phone plug. I have ordered in some of their silver plated ones to try out. I am also looking for other alternatives. I do build in a voltage divider to drop the 7 volts down to 2. The Gold Neutriks are on back order for 8 weeks. I do hope to have something to replace them before that time.

Wayne

Oct 2, 2001 at 2:09 PM Post #20 of 33
I was wondering about the 7v vs. 2v issue; is it really necessary to bring the voltage down to 2v? Would one damage one's amp if the voltage is not reduced? Also, I know it's been said before, but what kind(s) of digital input does the DIO have?

Oct 2, 2001 at 2:27 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Also check out this new thread on AA

I was just thinking last night on how this would sound.
(I don't have a dio yet but damm this is too tempting not to try considering the price!)

Wayne1, how about some head-fi action on your cables/Power supply when you get them back in stock?
Maybe a package price for head-fiers?
biggrin.gif

Oct 2, 2001 at 2:31 PM Post #22 of 33
The 7 volts will not "damage" an amp. There have been cases where the higher output has overdriven a preamp or a receiver, causing distortion. In most cases you just have to keep the volume control turned down. It is for this reason I started making the cables with a voltage divider in them. People like to have more control over the volume than just on or off
wink.gif

The ART DI/O uses RCA's for digital inputs and outputs. If you use optical, pick up a used Monarchy DIP jitter reducer. It will also convert optical in to coaxial out.

Oct 2, 2001 at 2:39 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Wayne1
The 7 volts will not "damage" an amp. There have been cases where the higher output has overdriven a preamp or a receiver, causing distortion. In most cases you just have to keep the volume control turned down. It is for this reason I started making the cables with a voltage divider in them. People like to have more control over the volume than just on or off
wink.gif

The ART DI/O uses RCA's for digital inputs and outputs. If you use optical, pick up a used Monarchy DIP jitter reducer. It will also convert optical in to coaxial out.

When you say RCA, do you mean the same type of RCA that is on a standard interconnect? Could I use an ordinary interconnect for the digital signal if that is the case? What about the CDP, does that need to have an RCA digital output too? Is the DIO available in a European (220v) version, or would I need an adapter? Does anyone know of a place in Europe where I could get one?

A lot of questions, but I'm pretty interested in this unit if it's as good as everyone says it is. Thanks for the info you provided BTW, I'm sorry it just served as a base for further pestering.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2001 at 3:31 PM Post #25 of 33
An ART DI/O thread would be a very good idea. Maybe the moderators could collect all of the previous posts together in one thread.

I will certainly consider a "package price" on the power supply, audio interconnect and digital cable.

The connector will accept a "regular" RCA plug. I would suggest you use a cable designed just for digital as the requirements are quite different than analog audio.

Yes, to use the digital input the CD player has to have a digital output. However Sean H has posted about his experience using the tube circuit to "warm" up the sound of an analog output on this thread.
http://www.AudioAsylum.com/audio/dig...ges/29759.html

I do not know of any place in Europe to purchase one. The DI/O uses a wall wart to drop the AC voltage from 120V to 9 VAC. You might be able to find an adaptor in Europe to drop 220 VAC to 9-10 VAC Here is the address of the ART rep in Sweden:

SWEDEN

LUTHMAN SCANDINAVIA AB
BOX 4011
STOCKHOLM, S10261
SWEDEN
niclas.luthman@luthman.se

Oct 2, 2001 at 4:19 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Oh yeah, and I think it's output is 1/4", not RCA. Correct? Where could I find an adapter for that, and how much?

Radio Shack has a RCA - 1/4" phono adapter.

Here is a pic.

274-893.jpg

But this will not address the 7volt issue.

Oct 2, 2001 at 5:20 PM Post #27 of 33
C'mon "The Bolder Cable Co", make us packages so we can all get a DI/O!!
biggrin.gif

Personally, I'd just get a jack-RCA with voltage reducer cable. I just want to improve the sound of a CD-changer in a low-fi system. So cost is a major factor.

But I'm sure there would also be a market for a "Premium" kit, with new power supply, digital cable and jack-RCA cable. For those people who want to squeeze every bit of performance out of their system.

Oct 2, 2001 at 6:33 PM Post #28 of 33
I'd love for Bolder to have a package deal, including the voltage-attenuating interconnects, digital cable, and power supply! The main reason I haven't bought a DI/O yet is because their interconnects aren't being offered right now, and I don't have any spares.
frown.gif

Oct 2, 2001 at 9:31 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

bootman, incorrect...

See what happens when I can't find a pic of the back of that thing. I make dumb assumptions!

Thanks chych!

BTW do you have one?
I'm dying to get my hands on one but I'm still researching.
(case in point: the incorrect adapter!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back