Caffeine, BassBoost, Silver Key or... for my HD555's?
Aug 11, 2008 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

yeahx

500+ Head-Fier
Should I bother doing this or should I just leave them unamped or get a cheaper cmoy?

Not to be rude but just to save everyone's time. Im not interested in "get some better headphones" or "save up and spend $200..." type post. But if you could recommend something in the same price range or lower thats cool.

Thanks!
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 11, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 15
where in the world are you?
How much are you willing to spend max??
what kinds of music do you listen to?

Aug 11, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 15
Im in WA US. I might be willing to spend $50-70, but Im not really sure if I will yet, still thinking about it. I have an LOD for my Nano already. I'll probably be using it for my computer and maybe gaming systems later.

I listen to Classic Rock, Electronica, Classical and the so called "grunge" bands and other types. Im not a big treble fan but I dont like silly bass either, I prefer a natural thump to a boom.

I have read that the Caffeine ultra is similar to more expensive amps.

Aug 11, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 15
Is a neat lil amp!!
would be a great lil starter amp!
If were in UK would have sent you mine on loan to decide whether is what you are after!!
Unfortunately with customs and postage etc would be too expensive to send back and forth!!
juice2241 and biosciencegeek both do neat lil cmoy amps available on ebay!!
biosciencegeek was probably the better of the two although mine broke unfortunately!!

Aug 11, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #5 of 15
I have been reading on here for a while so Im familiar with some of your post.
smily_headphones1.gif
I have been looking at those 2 since I didnt think the Caffeine was available anymore. Im even considering just settling for a FiiO M3 and attenuator but Id like to have something decent for later if I can possibly upgrade my cans or IEMs. Im extremely broke and shouldnt even be thinking about this stuff but I have birthday money that I dont want to spend on bills this time darn it!
smily_headphones1.gif
Im even thinking of picking up some super fi's, I dont get what is wrong with Pangea's that no one has bought yet.

BTW I lived in Aberdeen for a year and left in 2001, how about that timing!

Aug 11, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 15
I have always wanted to give the amp a listen. With the 8397 it should power well and have the sound many seem to like. I wish it were smaller though as more along the line of a Pico or Predator.

Aug 11, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 15
Aberdeen huh?
All sheep and oli rigs lmao
As far as i know the caffeine and the ultra sorta float between in stock and out lol
if you email they will generally get back to you telling you when the next batch is available!!
As for the bioscience geek his replies are prompt, concise and informative!!
I think reason i had trouble was due to headphone jack getting lil bent out of shape!!
You should get one ultra cheap in states when take lower postage costs into consideration!!

Aug 11, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #8 of 15
Which one Jamato8??

Aug 11, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #9 of 15
The one that goes for 99 dollars. I think the extra capacitance might give a better bass control and dual caps may give better separation. Also it is neat that it can be a passive amplifier (running the signal through the volume control with the amplifier off). I didn't know that until I just read it a few minutes ago but you would have to have a source with a strong output.

Aug 11, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #10 of 15
I've used a Caffeine with HD595 quite a bit and the combination works well. I would get the Ultra since it has a bass boost (The Ultra was unfortunately not available when I bought my basic.)

I have to be honest and say though that it's only a minor improvement from the LOD over my Sennheiser directly out of iPod's headphone out. The amp supplies a slightly cleaner signal and a bit more detail.

My Grados, now that's another story. The AD8397 in the Caffeine makes them positively sing! The only minor drawback is some sibilance here and there with the bowl pads on my 225s, but I'm hoping burn-in will reduce that.

Aug 13, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #11 of 15
A title change and a bit of a bump because there is more of a choice on ebay now and I wanted a few more opinions. I still think I want the Caffeine just because I like the look of the build and I've read good things. I have also read good things about the BassBoost but it seems kind of gimmicky and I think the caffeine ultra has a similar bass feature. I like the idea of the Silver Key Audio because it doesnt have a switch but Im sure it will be for mostly home use so this isnt a big deal.

And Im even considering just getting a Juice, a PAV2, or maybe even a FiiO.

Aug 13, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Grados, now that's another story. The AD8397 in the Caffeine makes them positively sing! The only minor drawback is some sibilance here and there with the bowl pads on my 225s, but I'm hoping burn-in will reduce that.

That is good to hear.
I have a LOD and Caffeine amp in the mail for me and my SR-80s right now.
I am excited to get both.

yeahx- I will let you know how I like mine when I get it.
Have you considered buying used?

Aug 14, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #13 of 15
Yeah I have considered buying used but its for my birthday, with money given to me so I want to get one before its piddled away on other things. This damn forum, I ordered a penguin caffeine. On ebay there were a few listed as ultra and audiophile but the were the same price, the ultra was sold by the time I tried to buy. I couldnt remember my log in so I just used their site so hopefully its the same thing. It seems to have the bass and gain switches which I think is what the Ultra has right? It was tempting to get their more expensive one, but I would feel silly doing that right now. I kind of feel silly already. I hope I can tell some difference!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by yeahx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I have considered buying used but its for my birthday, with money given to me so I want to get one before its piddled away on other things. This damn forum, I ordered a penguin caffeine. On ebay there were a few listed as ultra and audiophile but the were the same price, the ultra was sold by the time I tried to buy. I couldnt remember my log in so I just used their site so hopefully its the same thing. It seems to have the bass and gain switches which I think is what the Ultra has right? It was tempting to get their more expensive one, but I would feel silly doing that right now. I kind of feel silly already. I hope I can tell some difference!
smily_headphones1.gif

If you went to penguinamp.com the only Caffeine he is selling is the Ultra. It's the one with the black circuit board and the options you mentioned for $69.95. The other tin amp he is selling is the Royal with the big caps for $99.

Aug 15, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #15 of 15
yeah, paying that little extra was a little tempting...but I couldnt justify it since what I have probably wont benefit much more. Those capasitors sure are pretty though, it was pretty tempting.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have the ZY Zn7 IPod Dock-Mini Cable hear waiting for it so its exciting. Haven't heard anything yet but since I think they ship from CA now it shouldn't take long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back