Cabling actuality
Mar 25, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #46 of 47
I just had an amusing experience since it wasn't expensive. I decided to change my Ed8's 15ft. HP extension cable to a 6ft one that I bought in my local PC Shop. They both sound the same as far as I can tell.
smily_headphones1.gif

So, the experience to date added to the one above?

HD650 Cardas - No change
K702 - ALO Micro SRX Cryo cable - made a difference to me. An easily discernible one when compared to the stock.
My new HD650 and SRX Cryo 18awg - again, I'm not sure I'd pass a DB test on this one. I'm not sure I'm hearing a difference. Funnily, the perceived difference I'm hearing isn't in the positive direction as it was with the K702's. The bass seems a bit lighter and the highs more detailed. I'm no longer sitting comfortably listening as I was with the stock, but the reason isn't obvious.

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #47 of 47
Originally Posted by Peter Pinna

"Kernmac,
Did you notice any difference in the sound of your headphones with the Blue Dragon screw in cable? If so, was that difference an improvement?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be totally honest, I don't know. Even with the ability to screw in a comparrison cable, I couldn't tell. Therefore I concluded that the sound difference (if any) is not significant to justify change. That is not to say that there might be greater change between other stock headphone cables and/or other aftermarket replacement cables. I simply haven't experienced a difference that would warrant a cable change based entirely on the quest for "better" sound. For me I would look at investing my money in other componets, if not a headphone upgrade. I leave this thread with a cut and paste from one of my previous posts on this very subject.

"The people that hear a difference are obviously right as there are too many people that have re-cabled their headphones that have found there is a difference; sometimes significant, sometimes subtle. What do you say to all the people that don’t hear a difference-“you don’t know what you are missing out on.”

"The people that don’t hear a difference are obviously right as there has never been any objective evidence, apparently not a single successful, repeatable blind test and if you can’t measure the difference then it isn’t different. And to those that believe they have done a blind test successfully and repeatedly, you will fail with a double blind test. How do you explain all the other people that hear a difference-wishful thinking, psychoacoustics and liars.

And me, well I purchased a blue dragon cable (fine craftsmanship) for my Pro900 and found audio bliss, problem is I still don’t know if the stock cables that came with the Ultrasone sound any different. I use the blue dragon all the time now and it sounds great, so why bother trying to do testing to determine if it is better or not? I have nothing to prove and I don’t care. Will I purchase another re-cable in the future, not purely for sonic improvement I won’t. If there is a difference, then investing the money in better source or amp components, or simply buying another headphone will give more significant results IMO of course.
If the cable is damaged, too short/long, has microphonic issues, then re-cable.
If you are a believer, then re-cable. If you are a handy person and like re-cabling, then re-cable. If you do not need to re-cable, are not a handy person who likes to re-cable, and you are a non-believer, then don’t re-cable and stop trying to convince the believers they are wasting their money. They already know you are wrong."

Response from Peter Pinna:
Kernmac,
The response and message generally in your post is immensely well stated to the extent that, in my opinion, it encapsulates and puts a closed lid on the disagreements regarding the perceptions of alterations of sound as a result of cable changes. Thank you for this excellent post.

I'll add to that that I've been listening to headphones and speakers for a long time. Probably longer than a lot of you have been alive. The salient thing that I have noticed is that a persons hearing changes almost on a day to day basis. Whether or this is due to somatic factors, atmospheric conditions, electrical conditions or something else is irrelevant. Variations in sound perceptions, subtle as they might be, occur regularly. I've found this to be true across all the equipment I've ever had. This is one of the reasons I have 650s, 880s and 701s, multiple amps and DACs.... And when I was into speakers, more than one system.
USG[/QUOTE]

What you've said here definitely makes sense. I am remaining steadfast, for now, in my neutrality regarding the subject of sound changes as a result of headphone cables. Going along with the logic of what you wrote, upstateguy, who knows, if I heard a change (by way of a new headphone cable) on Monday when it's raining, would I hear that same change on Tuesday when the sun is shining?
"The answer my friend, is blowing in the wind. The answer is blowing in the wind." (Bob Dylan)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just had an amusing experience since it wasn't expensive. I decided to change my Ed8's 15ft. HP extension cable to a 6ft one that I bought in my local PC Shop. They both sound the same as far as I can tell.
smily_headphones1.gif

Why don't you try stretching out the 6 ft. extension cable to where it becomes 15 feet long and compress the 15 ft. cable to where it becomes 6 feet long and then compare the sound they cause under those conditions. Then, please get back to us regarding your findings on this matter.
Yes, in case you're wondering, I am joking.
wink_face.gif

HD650 Cardas - No change
K702 - ALO Micro SRX Cryo cable - made a difference to me. An easily discernible one when compared to the stock.
My new HD650 and SRX Cryo 18awg - again, I'm not sure I'd pass a DB test on this one. I'm not sure I'm hearing a difference. Funnily, the perceived difference I'm hearing isn't in the positive direction as it was with the K702's. The bass seems a bit lighter and the highs more detailed. I'm no longer sitting comfortably listening as I was with the stock, but the reason isn't obvious.

Continued response from Peter Pinna:
Thank you very much for your analysis and opinion of these cable / headphone sound relationships and the way you perceive their sound. I like the idea that someone reading this thread who thinks they may have or may not have heard a difference caused by a different cable can possibly validate or invalidate their thinking as a result of very descriptive posts such as yours which may enable someone to put into words a description which might have been lacking in their own attempted analysis of sound perception and sound changes.

This thread is not about agreeing or disagreeing about whether or not cables actually cause a change in the sound of a given pair of headphones. Likewise, this thread is not about attempting to convince someone that they should perceive sounds because of a cable (or for any other reason) the same way that another person does.
This thread, fundamentally speaking, is about sharing your experiences about headphone cables and how those cables affected the sound from the attached headphones. It is all a matter of perception and opinion. And, this thread is not about disagreeing with those perceptions and opinions. This thread is about understanding and possibly learning from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back