Cables, plugs, soldered joints...etc. and sound quality...?
Dec 14, 2004 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Zuerst

Headphoneus Supremus
Not quit sure where this belongs so I think I'd just post it in here.

I think high purity OFC are suppose to improve the sound but with all the joints and interconnects in the path wouldn't it just negate the improvement? I mean if you go from source to interconnect to amp to headphone, there is a lot of plugs, joints and countless soldered joints that is probably way less optimal than a high purity OFC. And wouldn't all points where the plugs plugs into the socket be less optimal as well? Wouldn't this collection of "bottlenecks" just negate the cables?

EDIT: I can't type...

Dec 15, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #2 of 5
Think of it this way:

Bad cable signal path:
Jack-plug connection (loss)
plug-cable connection (loss)
long run of cable with miniature breaks, inclusions, and other junk (loss)

good cable signal path:
Long run of cable with only a few bad spots (minimal loss)

People use high grade cable because it generally is also better produced, will have a more uniform impedance, better RF shielding, won't experience the same signal artifacts as a cheap and bad wire.

Adding ANYTHING to the signal path will change the signal, but the reason begind using good components is that you're aiming to change it as little as possible.

Dec 15, 2004 at 8:13 AM Post #3 of 5
It seems like all the other joints and solders and such would simply overwhelm whatever minimal gain by the cable though...
confused.gif

Dec 15, 2004 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst
It seems like all the other joints and solders and such would simply overwhelm whatever minimal gain by the cable though...
confused.gif

by using good cable, you don't gain anything, it's to prevent loss.

Sure, maybe you won't be losing much if you use bad cable, but you make improvements where you can, and if you can eliminate a little loss, why not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back