Cables: Measuring the differences
Nov 2, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #46 of 97
In this thread... We have people who don't understand science or the scientific method trying to prove otherwise.  I understand the OP's intentions, but there really is no point to this.  To each their own.  

I spend all day in a lab looking at and analyzing data.  Why am I doing this in my spare time...  Nothing that has been posted here is rigorous enough to even be remotely conclusive.  Why would you use a output -> cable -> headphone -> mic input I'm curious.  Why not output -> cable -> scope input and skip the whole positioning what not.  Even moving the headphones relative to the mics just a few millimeters will have a large effect on the sound, just skip the middleman IMO.

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #47 of 97

Quote:
I think that to frame this as a copper vs. silver issue is rather misleading, because as far as I've been able to determine, you're not comparing two cables that are in every way identical except for the material used for the conductors.

Is this not the case here?

se

That is true, and it would be impossible to do that with the stock cable, unless I can convince a Sennheiser rep to build me a stock cable with pure silver instead of copper.. 
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #48 of 97
But you could build a clone of your cable, in copper... fwiw.

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #49 of 97

Quote:
In this thread... We have people who don't understand science or the scientific method trying to prove otherwise.  I understand the OP's intentions, but there really is no point to this.  To each their own.  

I spend all day in a lab looking at and analyzing data.  Why am I doing this in my spare time...  Nothing that has been posted here is rigorous enough to even be remotely conclusive.  Why would you use a output -> cable -> headphone -> mic input I'm curious.  Why not output -> cable -> scope input and skip the whole positioning what not.  Even moving the headphones relative to the mics just a few millimeters will have a large effect on the sound, just skip the middleman IMO.

Well, I think the point here is how the cable effects the driver at the end, not just the scope at the end - not enough of this testing has been done.  If a good enough testing rig is set up, it should work...but this would probably require a professional dummy head (like what Tyll has, but he has said already that he does not wish to do cable testing) or something along the lines of that.  Most of us do not unfortunately have access to one of these...

Also, a large sample size would help greatly.  If the average of the two cables is consistent enough that could be taken as a more reliable conclusion.

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #50 of 97

Quote:

I spend all day in a lab looking at and analyzing data.  Why am I doing this in my spare time...  Nothing that has been posted here is rigorous enough to even be remotely conclusive.  Why would you use a output -> cable -> headphone -> mic input I'm curious.  Why not output -> cable -> scope input and skip the whole positioning what not.

Because it is the driver/speaker that is reacting to the signal. Of course it is not rigorous, but it is a start. We have had what many consider proof of a k701 headphone sounding different after a break-in period tested in a way much like this. 

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #51 of 97

Quote:

Because it is the driver/speaker that is reacting to the signal. Of course it is not rigorous, but it is a start. We have had what many consider proof of a k701 headphone sounding different after a break-in period tested in a way much like this. 

His point is that if its reacting to a difference in how the signal is transferred - that should be measurable when testing just the cable as well - and more accurate (less room for error and user variables).

As for the 701 burn in test, even the tester listed the numerous caveats to that data. It is interesting, but anyone who considers that conclusive proof, well.... I have a bridge to sell them. And some amazing, veil smashing, world changing cables... only $2000. PM with with your CC#.

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #52 of 97

Cable believers believe all cables sound a little different, non believers say this is not so. Finding an extreme like what cable believers hear in copper vs silver makes sense as more sonic contrast to graph out. A better test would be to have cables made which are the same minus the conductors. We need to reduce the variables. The great part though is cable non believers believe that terminations have no influence either. Cable believers believe a sonic change can be created due to the construction of the RCAs. 
Quote:
I think that to frame this as a copper vs. silver issue is rather misleading, because as far as I've been able to determine, you're not comparing two cables that are in every way identical except for the material used for the conductors.

Is this not the case here?

se

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #53 of 97

Quote:

Maybe because I can't listen to a scope?? ...and I also don't own one. 
tongue.gif

I want to know what I'm hearing that is different with my HD650's, not a scope. Correlating FR to human perception is hard enough as it is, correlating readouts on a scope to sound quality?? I don't see what the point would be. The arguments using a scope would be that it's far more sensitive than my ear is, the "objective" crowd has an excuse for everything you know? ;-p

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #54 of 97

Quote:
correlating readouts on a scope to sound quality?? I don't see what the point would be.

To show that what you are hearing shows up as a difference in signal is as a result of the cable, and not any other number of factors. It's basically just a double check for your work. 

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #55 of 97

Quote:
To show that what you are hearing shows up as a difference in signal is as a result of the cable, and not any other number of factors. It's basically just a double check for your work. 

Ok, I can see doing it that for that reason. 

There is one measurement that has been taken already, silver is more conductive than copper, by a little less than copper is relative to aluminum... One thing I've never heard of is an aluminum speaker wire. 

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #57 of 97
Aluminum wiring is used extensively in aircraft.. it has a better conductivity to weight ratio than copper. It has some issues though - aluminum oxide is an insulator, rather than conductor - so depending on your connections, they can degrade quickly in efficiency. 

Copper oxides do increase resistance some, but not nearly as badly as aluminum. 

That would be an interesting experiment as well... that they are not common may be just a matter of convention at this point. 

Nov 2, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #58 of 97

Quote:
If a good enough testing rig is set up, it should work...but this would probably require a professional dummy head (like what Tyll has,  . .

Purrin ran tests between a silver and non-silver cable on a pair of Sennheisers  and found no measurable difference.  IIRC, he posted in the OP's original thread regarding building his cable.

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #60 of 97
Except on Halloween, a human skull is not used.  Instead the technique employs either a dummy head or an apparatus that replicates the distance between the ears and includes something in between that blocks high frequencies from one side to another..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back