cables for sennheiser hd 580
Dec 22, 2004 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Theiresias

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

This is my first post on head-fi. I'm a student from Germany and I have to say that these forums are more reliable for recommendations than any other source I know :wink:

My current setup is as follows:

- e-mu 0404 (co-sa connection rca cable with rca-mono adapters)

- (the old) headsave classic with AD8620 op-amp

- Sennheiser HD 580 II Precision

Before that I used a chaintech 710 as source, which was acceptable, but I wanted more. When I got the e-mu, the listening experience was imo totally different. At first I found it hard to listen to it. I guess this was due to the soundstage and the fact that my ears were trying to focus (focussing was not possible/nescessary with the chaintech). Interestingly, I no love the emu and it is not hard anymore listening to it.

Now my question: Do you guys recommend to replace the stock cable of my senns? If yes, which replacement cable would suit my setup best? Thanks a lot!

Dec 22, 2004 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 18
I had to make a -3db drop in 13000 hz to make the sound more listenable. I found the treble to be too much for me. This is with 0404 -> Rega Ear -> hd580.

I tried the Oehlbach in my setup. It made the music way more listenable (less treble, more bass) but it also muddied it up in a way that I didn't like. Its pretty cheap, you can try and see if you like it.

Dec 23, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Theiresias
Now my question: Do you guys recommend to replace the stock cable of my senns? If yes, which replacement cable would suit my setup best? Thanks a lot!

As most things on here, it's a matter of opinion. Most say the Oelbach is the best bang for the buck. I haven't heard it. I think it begs the question, at which point do I upgrade my cans? For the price of the HD580s and an Oelbach, you could find an HD650, which in my opinion, would be better without an aftermarket cable than HD580s with a cable. But it is a matter of opinion.
But to answer your question, go for the Oelbach. If you decide to upgrade later you can move it to the 600s or 650s.
BTW, welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet.
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 18
You should never do anything based on what we think.

Listen to your HD580 for a week, and after you're certain that your source/amp/recordings are used in the best manner then you might consider if there is anything lacking in your HD580's sound. If yes then you can try a diff cable.

Dec 23, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali
You should never do anything based on what we think.

I agree with this for the most part, but the stock HD580 cable is pretty much a joke. Do yourself and your 580's a favor and get an Oehlbach.

Dec 23, 2004 at 8:52 AM Post #6 of 18
Thanks for the help!

Quote:

As most things on here, it's a matter of opinion. Most say the Oelbach is the best bang for the buck. I haven't heard it. I think it begs the question, at which point do I upgrade my cans? For the price of the HD580s and an Oelbach, you could find an HD650, which in my opinion, would be better without an aftermarket cable than HD580s with a cable. But it is a matter of opinion.
But to answer your question, go for the Oelbach. If you decide to upgrade later you can move it to the 600s or 650s.
BTW, welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet.

I am ALREADY sorry about my wallet
biggrin.gif

Where can I find the Oehlbach cable? I tried their website: www.oehlbach.de - but I did not find aftermarket cables for headphones...

Dec 23, 2004 at 10:30 AM Post #8 of 18
Whereas I think that the 580 stock cable is a piece of poop on a stick, replacing it given your current setup would give you the least bang for the buck. Look at my signature for what I think is the most cost effective upgrade path. If it were up to me, I would upgrade the source. I am not a fan of using a computer as a source. As I've stated in multiple postings, a computer is not hi-fi. It's not meant to be. There is so much noise in your computer that you're lucky if you're getting anything close to the signal you start out with in the CD player. Furthermore, you're not getting a high fidelity sound if you play MP3 files.

I am not saying that you should stop listening to music the way you like, I'm saying that given your current setup, a cable should not be the first priority if you're looking to maximize your return on investment. You will hear a difference if you upgrade the cable, but I don't think it would be enough of a difference for the kind of money you'll lay out.

Get a decent CD player first and then worry about the cable upgrades. BTW, my favorite cables are the Equinox and the Silver Dragon.

Dec 23, 2004 at 7:16 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

THX!

Quote:

I am not saying that you should stop listening to music the way you like, I'm saying that given your current setup, a cable should not be the first priority if you're looking to maximize your return on investment. You will hear a difference if you upgrade the cable, but I don't think it would be enough of a difference for the kind of money you'll lay out.

Well - yeah. But the emu is my already upgraded source :wink:

Quote:

There is so much noise in your computer that you're lucky if you're getting anything close to the signal you start out with in the CD player. Furthermore, you're not getting a high fidelity sound if you play MP3 files.

My computer is almost completly silent. I don't listen to mp3 anymore. Mostly .ape (=lossless) and .mpc. I'd actually prefer a good stand alone source, but I'm a student and my money goes somewhere else :wink: Did you ever audition the emu? I'm quite content with it (although I could imagine better)

Dec 23, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #10 of 18
My point was that you need a certain level of fidelity before upgrading the cable would make any sense. I don't think you've reached that level, so I don't think that in your case upgrading the cable would be a worthwhile venture.

Dec 23, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bifcake
My point was that you need a certain level of fidelity before upgrading the cable would make any sense.

Eh? There was a noticeable difference when I upgraded my stock to Oehlbach. And I use 0404 too.

Dec 23, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99
Eh? There was a noticeable difference when I upgraded my stock to Oehlbach. And I use 0404 too.

I agree that the difference is audible even with a budget source, but for me, it wasn't a positive difference. I went back to the stock 600 cable because I found the Oehlbach cable to be too dark sounding. Too bad, since it's obviously better constructed than the flimsy stock cable.

Dec 23, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #13 of 18
not a thread highjack but a related question:

Btw, does anyone know if Sennheiser the company has ever made any comments on HD580/600/650 cable and the substitute cables available for its line of headphones?

Dec 23, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali
not a thread highjack but a related question:

Btw, does anyone know if Sennheiser the company has ever made any comments on HD580/600/650 cable and the substitute cables available for its line of headphones?

Why would they care? It can only improve their sales.

Dec 24, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99

I didn't say there wouldn't be a difference. I just don't think that the difference would be enough to justify the expenditure. There is more to be gained from a better source. Once you've reached a certain point, upgrading cables makes more sense because the differences tend to be more pronounced when all the other components are up to par.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back