Cables for HD 600
Aug 13, 2002 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Ari

500+ Head-Fier
Hello Good Head-fellows!!

Looking for good replacement cables for Senn HD 600. Any opinions?

Thanks

Ari
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2002 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 17
Well, I have heard all three (well there are more than three, but the top three).

Not matter which you pick, it will be a lot better than the stock.

my mini reviews :

Clou 212 Red Jaspis Cable = This cable is like the stock on steriods! Higher highs, lower lows, lusher mids, bigger soundtage! Just more of everything! It is pretty thick and stiff.

Stefan AudioArt's Equinox cable = Black and sleak, this cable sounds very smooth and relaxing. It is no where as detailed as the other two cables, but it is a hell of a lot more forgiving than the other two. The cable is thick but flexable.

Cardas (smuf) Cable = This cable is neutral and smooth but very detailed. Not as dramatic as the Red Jaspis , but more balanced in it's sound. The cable is thin and very flexable. It has been nickednamed the smuf cable, due to it's light blue color.

Aug 13, 2002 at 10:39 AM Post #3 of 17
Not matter which you pick, it will be a lot better than the stock.

Thanks a lot KR, very useful !

This post was moved to the right place... Learning...learning...

Best from

Ari

Aug 16, 2002 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 17
I've used the stock cables, the red jasis and the cardas cables.

I should probably mention that I have one of the new headroom Max's and a NAD c541 cd player.

In my expierence, the red jaspis are waaay to bright. And thats with the max's filter off. The cardas cable is much, much more balanced. unless you have a tube amp for your phones, I would flee the clou.

-JT

Aug 16, 2002 at 10:21 AM Post #5 of 17
Just got the Clou Red from a fellow head-fier and am enjoying them very much. For me they, in conjunction with my relatively bright/analytical source+amp, bring the stock 580's into the realm of exciting and punchy. Maybe eventually I will get tired of that forwardness, but that can be tempered a bit by going with a tube amp like an MG Head and appropriate tubes
smily_headphones1.gif
. Something I plan to do in the future anyway. For now I am enjoying the sound.

The Clou Blue's are readily available new for a decent price, and you can probably find the Blue's or Red's on the used market for what, a year ago, would have been considered a steal. I think they present a great value today. Also, the Red's are not as stiff as I expected them to be based on the reviews. They are not so bad. They also match my DiMarzio IC's too, which is really important
wink.gif

All I am saying is not to completely rule the Clou's out just because of all the recent press the Cardas and the Equinox have gotten lately. Don't get me wrong, I still want to hear the other replacement cables eventually. Think of the potential balance and synergy with the rest of your components, as well as the type of sound you want, and the money you want to spend.

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2002 at 11:44 AM Post #6 of 17
I've got both the Cardas and the Equinox and I prefer the Equinox by a long shot. The soundstage is far greater than the Cardas. Others have reported less detail than the Cardas, but that's not my experience. i find that the Cardas seems to accentuate the higher frequencies, whereas the Equinox lets the midrange and especially bass shine as well. Of course my opinion is just that, and in contradistinction to other well respected posters.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 16, 2002 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 17
Ari,

you'll going to find way too many supporters on all 3 -sides.
wink.gif
Don't let the majority win, try and demo all 3 and read up on their sound characteristics objectively and then make your choice.

Have fun!!
wink.gif
wink.gif

Aug 17, 2002 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 17
ARI,

I agree with KR, the Clou Red Jaspis is my choice. It's not so much an top end, bottom end improvement as much as it is a dynamic improvement and makes ther 600's sound more realistic. I t does have the best mid-range of the three by far.

Stefan Arts has better bass and a better mid-range, though not like the Clou.

The Cardas has the most pronounced top end which many people like the since the 600's are generally too mild sounding in general and especially on he top end.

I hope that helps.

Aug 18, 2002 at 10:17 AM Post #11 of 17
Guys.

The problem is I'm too far from the Northern Lines... and I just can't listen and taste all the options. I have to relay on your opinions and decide based on your various experiences. You guys are "My Ears"...

That's why I bother you this much...

Best from

Ari

PS - By the way, I use tube amp - micro ZOTL

Aug 20, 2002 at 12:14 AM Post #14 of 17
acs236,

I agree with you that the mids are a problem area for the 580/600 and in my experience the Clou really wakes it up, enlarges it and adds a little weight and authoruty to everything in the midrange. The voice/soloists starts sounding like the lead instrument. It really is a niice difference. I got the ine I used from "tuberoller" sso I knows he sells them and Kurt Woodlandd was selling his used

Kurt used the Clue Red on the 600's when I bought them from him and he may have some worthwhile comments about the Clou Red cable, too.

Hope that helps.

Aug 20, 2002 at 5:43 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Vitalstatistix

From the shop in Port Macquarie?

yes, along with a cardas neutral digital coax cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back