Cables! Cables! And more cables! AHH!
May 24, 2005 at 7:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

akwok

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

So I took the plunge and ordered a bunch of stuffs to feed my need. On my way is a Portable Amp V2, a Gilmore Lite, and an Onkyo SE-90PCI.

Now, I have a problem! I JUST REALIZED I have no cables to plug it all together!

I know the PAV2 comes with a mini to mini, but : the Onkyo SE-90PCI only has an RCA output jack (single). The Gilmore Lite has an RCA input jack (two plugs), and the Portable Amp V2 has a mini input jack. What kind of cable do I need to plug in the Onkyo to the Gilmore (most important), and the Onkyo to the PAV2?

This is giving me a headache bigtime.

Here are some links to the components :
Onkyo SE-90PCI : http://www.audiocubes.com/product/On...dio_Board.html
Gilmore Lite : http://www.headamp.com/lite.shtml
PAV2 : http://www.electric-avenues.com/audio8.html

And any links/suggestions to 'cheap' ($40 USD or so) cables with the right specifications? Also, I am in Canada..

Thanks a LOT in advance!
Adrian Kwok.

May 24, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #2 of 8
why do you need the portable amp plugged into the soundcard when you have a gilmore lite? but if you want to, the gilmore lite has a pair of RCA loop outs in addition to the pair of RCA inputs, so you can connect the PA2V2 to the gilmore's loop out.

so basically you need a pair of RCA interconnects (for use between the gilmore lite and the soundcard), and a RCA to mini interconnect (for use between the gilmore lite and the PA2V2).

May 24, 2005 at 8:09 AM Post #3 of 8
Nevermind.. I see the two outputs on the sound card.

EDIT : I am blind! DOH!

Any suggestions on a type of interconnect cable? Any available in Canada for ~$40 USD? I am looking at the Zu Oxyfuel ones right now.. :l.

Thanks a lot!

May 24, 2005 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 8
akwok,

you get one pair of RCA interconnects.

connect the one end of each rca cable from the audio out, and connect the other end to the audio in of the amp.

you need a pair because RCA cables are mono unbalanced cables. one cable for left channel, one cable for right channel.

left is usually designated as the white labeled cable and right as the red labeled cable.

if you are plugging the onkyo rca outputs into a portable amp that only has a 1/8" or 1/4" TRS plug (mini cable or larger type cable connector similar to the mini)

then you would probably want a y-splitter. a y splitter has one end as a trs plug and splits into two rca plugs.

trs plugs are stereo and rcas are not.

trs = tip/left, ring/right, sleeve/ground.

in a y splitter, the one rca plug connects to the tip/left portion of the trs plug, and the other rca connects to the ring/right portion. and then the ground is split two ways from the trs and each rca gets a ground wire.

I hope that make sense.

May 24, 2005 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 8
Yep, it sure does! Thanks a lot :).

Now to find a suitable brand/make of cables... hmm. Monster is no good, correct?

May 24, 2005 at 8:57 AM Post #6 of 8
well let your ears decide, the search function on this forum is a valuable tool, so is google and froogle
smily_headphones1.gif

I cant really tell you which cable is better or another, as with any blind purchase, all I can recommend is you do a bit of research online or magazines before investing in anything.

if you need cables now you can just pick up the cheap stuff to work with while you look for something better.

good luck.

May 28, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Yep, it sure does! Thanks a lot :).

Now to find a suitable brand/make of cables... hmm. Monster is no good, correct?

Have you tried asking the manufacturer of the components you need cables for? In many cases, manufacturers will have cables that they personally prefer with that particular component -- and those recommendations can be a great starting point on your journey into the world of high-end cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back