Cable Question
Oct 24, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If my amp is producing too much gain should I use a higher capacitance IC or a lower IC cable? Or am I lost in the sauce?

Do you mean that your amp output is too loud at low settings? ie...on a volume control that goes from 1-25, 5 is too loud

If so, your problem is that your imput device has too high of a voltage output.

Cables will not fix this problem, you have to lower the output voltage of your input device

Oct 24, 2008 at 12:12 PM Post #3 of 7
Capacitance is the ability of something to store energy briefly and then release it again.

It's handy to have at least a rudimentary understanding of electronics.

Oct 24, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by 883dave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean that your amp output is too loud at low settings? ie...on a volume control that goes from 1-25, 5 is too loud

If so, your problem is that your imput device has too high of a voltage output.

Cables will not fix this problem, you have to lower the output voltage of your input device

Interesting. What is the best way to do this with a device of fixed volume line output?

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #5 of 7
Hmmm...I had a similar problem before, but it wasn't the amp, it was really high output voltage from an older CDP that I had. It would clip the amp like crazy at minimal volume levels. Cables were not the fix though...this was a portable amp that couldn't take the voltage...a "real" amp with a much higher nominal input impedance was the answer. You could try a cable with a much higher resistance, but good luck determining that on your own...

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. What is the best way to do this with a device of fixed volume line output?

You could put a resistor inline (after calculating the value), or use an aftermarket RCA Line Level Attenuator plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back