Cable parts questions
May 22, 2012 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

flamerz

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking to recable my Beyerdynamic DT-770's with a dual entry cable. Unlike the single entry stock cable, I will need to buy a cable with separate ground connections for the left and right drivers. I'm pretty unfamiliar with this type of stuff, and can't identify whether or not a cable has this on online retail sites. Could someone please give me a few options that would work? I'm not looking for a very expensive cable, but it doesn't need to be dirt cheap either. Options over a range of prices would be greatly appreciated. I also don't really know what else I need to buy. Heatsink? Sleeves? How can I determine what sizes of these to get to fit around the cable, but inside the headphone's holes? I suppose I could drill those to be larger if necessary. I have a soldering iron and solder, and I think I have access to cable ties for stress relief... is there anything else I should buy for this project? Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been asked before! I got frustrated by not finding satisfactory results after many searches.

May 22, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 12
http://www.redco.com/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=17&cat=Balanced+Mic%2FLine+Cable
You'll want quad cable.

Or if you want to get a little fancier, you can buy silver cable and braid it yourself.

May 28, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 12
How can I securely create a Y split in the cable? I've found a cover at Qables (pictured below), but I think there's a much cheaper alternative that works just as well. Any ideas?

Also, I'm thinking of buying of this type of cable. Should I buy a 1/4" sleeve for the full cable, and 1/8" heatshrinks and sleeves for the split sections?

What type of cable should I use for a 3.5mm female to male interconnect?

May 28, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 12
I've recently built two different cables with successful Y-splits with these cable pants:
http://www.wirecare.com/products.asp?prodline=CPN

With the Mogami Quad cable UNcovered, I used the 6mm pants. When I sheathed the Quad with some nylon multifilament, I used the 7mm pants.

May 28, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
There's a thread where Head-Fiers have posted pictures of Y-splits. You can get a few ideas from there if you're still looking for some examples of DIY work.

I did that shortly after posting. Such an obvious way to figure this out, don't know why I didn't think of it immediately. It looked like a lot of them used heatshrink, which doesn't seem very stable. Do Y splits generally receive much stress though?

Quote:
I've recently built two different cables with successful Y-splits with these cable pants:
http://www.wirecare.com/products.asp?prodline=CPN
With the Mogami Quad cable UNcovered, I used the 6mm pants. When I sheathed the Quad with some nylon multifilament, I used the 7mm pants.

Awesome! Pants! What a great name. Thanks for the help, I think I'll go with the 7mm.

May 28, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #7 of 12
I did that shortly after posting. Such an obvious way to figure this out, don't know why I didn't think of it immediately. It looked like a lot of them used heatshrink, which doesn't seem very stable. Do Y splits generally receive much stress though?
IME heatshrink is sufficient protection for a cable junction. A shell or similar construct, or even cable pants, would offer more protection I would think, but the question for any cable builder would be how much satisfaction you think you'd get out of your Y-split treatment (and to the same effect, every other minute decision you face when designing a cable). For example, I am very satisified with both the appearance and the functionality of my own work, but I understand that someone else wouldn't settle for less than a nifty plastic shell. Others use empty 3.5mm plug barrels for a middle-of-the-spectrum solution.

May 30, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #8 of 12
Shrink is fine.  Mogami or Canare or similar is fine for a low budget recable.

Jun 17, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 12
its not mogami quad if it only has 2 conductors have you stripped it back further just to make sure that there is nothing inside 2 of the strands? is the cable marked with the model number? if you bought the cable linked and it only has 2 conductors then they have made a mistake

Jun 17, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #11 of 12
Oh, you're right. It says 2549 on the outside of it... Thanks. It's the standard mic cable instead. Do you think that the wires will be larger in the quad mic cable? I had a really difficult time getting my 2:1 1/8" heat shrink tubing onto the section I split in half. I'm thinking of buying some 3:1 tubing.

Jun 17, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 12
I know this is a little late, but personally, I would recommend the canare L-4e5c.  It's thinner, lighter than the full sized ones (you don't need anything thicker unless you're running like 25+ FT of it), and less microphonic than mogami cables.  I have used both canare and mogami.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back