1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Cable Matters

First

Back
Next

Last
  1. Whitigir
    lol, I am glad that someone else is posting a thread dedicated in cables finding and it sound quality. Yes, cables matter, and mostly the materials being used. Then most importantly is the synergies that it is for your system. The cables that matter the most to me

1/ headphones cables
    2/ XLR interconnect
    3/ usb Cables
    4/ power cord

The findings above is very similar to what I found, and I completely agree

2. Whazzzup
    I’ll just post here see what happens. Sound science just for having cables in my sig got blasted... let’s see if it’s safe here

3. Wyville
    I review cables, guess how loved I was there... :D

Best stay away from that corner.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2018
    Mshenay likes this.
  4. Whitigir
    :D well said sir!

Wyville likes this.
  5. Mshenay Contributor
    Welcome welcome! I'm excited to have you guys here! This is a purely subjective thread right now, and your welcome to post your objective findings/data. Right now I'm just exploring the impact cables make and sharing my findings! But I have some good news from AXPONA, I met this brilliant Cable maker today he introduced himself today as Captain. He apparently building cables purely for him self in his own lab! We both appreciate and play the bass guitar and everything he said really resonated with me, namely that cables are at best incremental improvements BUT when you add everything up, then it makes a difference! Which as you guys know are my thoughts! While I think headphone cables make a fairly immediate impact on their own, XLR/Power and DATA Cable upgrades ALL together are also worthwhile!

So I'm looking forward to having some pictures and impressions from him tomorrow, I'd also like to thank/congratulate @zach915m on his new line of cables! The OCC copper he had with him today were BEAUTIFUL! Gorgeous looking build and excellent sound! You guys can also look forward to my input on those in my system here soon! As I'm going to be giving his OFC/OCC and SPC Copper cables an listen and I'll let you know what I find! For more Cable matters I also have @Torq's line of Radioaktiv Cables a listen here soon! An if your weren't aware, it's a entirely modular system! So you have a Base Cable and adapters for headphone and amp side! Pretty cool stuff!!!

Wyville likes this.
  6. Whitigir
    Yes, cables do matter, and here is the new cables that matters to me

7E71FEDE-D2F9-4353-865A-E1DCDF2A8E98.jpeg

7. Mshenay Contributor
    Nice! What are we looking at :D

8. Whazzzup
    I’m not really in the market for new cables but if anyone wants my thoughts on dhc cables or experience in General positive, negative or neutral, feel free to ask. My next step is to upgrade my music server to ds core. Then after that I have been thinking USB cables but my experience In that area are less fruitful in what better USB cables provide for sq. However my experience with antipodes music servers are that source matters and how those bits get to the dac matter. So by extension I have looked at the chord company Sarum array USB, again just for fun. Of course I enquired in a few sound science forums and was told, well for 1 very few have ever heard that pp of USB, and 2 I’m sure it will perform as well as any mass market USB.... so for me that’s the cable type I’m interested in topic....

Mshenay likes this.
  9. Mshenay Contributor
    Oh that reminds me need to swing by the iFi booth and give their digital cable a listen

And I'm actually using a Belkin gold USB 6ft 2.0 there actually discontinued now but I got it as a recommendation from @purrin a few years back

Compared to the stock cable I have in my audio GD and picked it make a difference mostly in stability

10. Whitigir
    Furutech rhodium plated connectors 4.4mm and HD800.

Oyaide silver-gold and silver-gold-platinum augmented (flagship) wires, 26awg per each, with 2x26= 23 Awg per conductor going to the headphones. Total of 8 wires braided. 1.5m length

A little expensive :D

11. Whitigir
    Cables are important to my observation from most obvious observable to lesser in order

1/ headphones cables
    2/ interconect XLR cables from DAC to amplifier
    3/ usb Cables
    4/ Power Cables

Usb Cables is a little more tricky, and that makes it harder to produce a good digital usb Cables while having it relative to safety standards and so on. Ultimately, many people would be mistaken and use audio usb cables for power charging cables. So, you have the dangerous potentials there. Anyways, if you want to try usb Cables that is obviously good, do audio quest. I also made usb Cables for my own, and Solid Silver conductors or Silver-gold alloy will do a wonderful jobs.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  12. Whazzzup
  13. Mshenay Contributor
    @Whazzzup I got a chance to briefly demo the @iFi audio Mercury Cable and I was pretty impressed with it! I was listening to the iDSD Pro with the Stax Energizer they make with the SRL 5## Series, with just the standard USB I got from amazon I felt the bass was a little... murky or lacking texture, swapping out to the Mercury cleaned that up and brought a little more texture back into the sound!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  14. Mshenay Contributor
    Listening to the Mercury from iFi yesterday I was quite impressed with the difference it makes

now I personally use coaxial with a Schiit etir so in terms of cost the Mercury is in fact quite competitive and brought a similar set of improvements into the system I hooked it up to as my schiit Etir did/does

Obviously I have no definitive statements about it at this time but I was impressed with it, I also got a chance to visit the Kimber kable room and I was very impressed with the workmanship of their cables they're quite exquisite! And of course they sounded quite phenomenal too

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
  15. iFi audio
    Thanks for your feedback!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ info@ifi-audio.com
    Mshenay likes this.
First

Back
Next

Last