Cable management?
Sep 13, 2009 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

fraseyboy

Headphoneus Supremus
zx8sqt.jpg

Anyone got any tips as to what I should do about this? It looks pretty ugly, gets in the way of my feet, and I'm sure its somehow dangerous...

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #2 of 20
Zipties, and screw some hooks into the bottom of the table to hang the zip-tied cables from.

Sep 13, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #3 of 20
4 hooks under table, plastic storage container, hang container from hooks, ziptie everything in little bundles in storage container, dont ziptie wires which would be strained in bringing container down.

My container is like 20x30x10cm it has a 3.5" external drive, 7 port usb hub, power brick for speakers, powerstrip, ac cord for my laptop and more in it.

Sep 14, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #7 of 20
Sep 14, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also take care of not running power cords in parallel w/ signal cables. Specially if your signal cables are not shielded.

I haven't noticed any issues in having my box with like 4 power bricks about 2" away from a usb hub which has 4 wires running from it.

Only audio equipment i have is a pair of speakers, which is fairly isolated from the directions the coiled power cords follow, and all the audio cables are grouped together and dont pass through the box of wires.

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anyone got any tips as to what I should do about this? It looks pretty ugly, gets in the way of my feet, and I'm sure its somehow dangerous...

Fly me to your place and I can clean it up for you, at a $70 an hour rate though.
regular_smile .gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #11 of 20
That pretty much looks identical to the setup I've had in middle school, high school, my dorm, and now my apartment. There's no way to avoid it. My suggestion it to get a deeper desk and pull it away from the wall slightly to give yourself more legroom. Don't bother putting anything in cable ties because then if you want to move something, you'll have to cut them all off. Velcro cable ties if you must.

Sep 15, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh I'll offer that if you're truly worried about the direction of your signal and power cables, well you're in deep my friend.
icon10.gif
There's nothing wrong with it, just know it.

Actually, if you run unshielded, single-ended signal cables tightly in parallel with power, you can pick up a 60hz hum. Or 50hz in europe.

Differential or "balanced" signals have high common-mode rejection and would be almost completely immune.

In general, signal wires and mains AC power should cross at 90 degree angles.

Goes double for in-ceiling wiring and fluorescent lighting, btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back