Cable design
May 3, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #33 of 51
They make a difference. Just not anything to do with the audio frequency spectrum in audio reproduction.
Yep, it's possible for an AC power cord to act as an interference antenna (either transmitting or receiving). While possible, it's not very likely, several things have to go wrong at the same time. The cure is almost Black Magic. Just changing things or moving cords around can change the problem.

Things that can impact the problem:
a] AC cord length
b] AC cord placement or dress
c] what hi-fi components are On or Off.
d] hi-fi component placement
e] what near-by appliances are On or Off

May 3, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #34 of 51
Yep, it's possible for an AC power cord to act as an interference antenna (either transmitting or receiving). While possible, it's not very likely, several things have to go wrong at the same time. The cure is almost Black Magic. Just changing things or moving cords around can change the problem.

Things that can impact the problem:
a] AC cord length
b] AC cord placement or dress
c] what hi-fi components are On or Off.
d] hi-fi component placement
e] what near-by appliances are On or Off
It wont have any influence on the piece of gear the cable belongs to. If it does the power stage sucks.

If it has any effect on other cables/gear they are broken or badly designed. Like using an unshielded cable for a mic.

Jun 4, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #37 of 51
I'm of the school that cables make very little difference unless the cables being used are underrated. But, the OP was asking about earbud cables, and those (1) tend to be exceedingly small diameter where you can run up on issues; and (2) could potentially operate at low-enough voltages that capacitive effects begin to matter. I haven't seen a discussion of the latter here, but that would basically cut down on the very highest frequency sound.

Resistance in the line would tend to cause a smooth phase shift in the signal as the frequency goes up. That should normally be undetectable, but maybe... this might mess with imaging. The brain does use some phase information in imaging, but I don't know the details of how.

Jun 4, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #38 of 51
Evidence please?

I'm of the school that cables make very little difference unless the cables being used are underrated. But, the OP was asking about earbud cables, and those (1) tend to be exceedingly small diameter where you can run up on issues; and (2) could potentially operate at low-enough voltages that capacitive effects begin to matter. I haven't seen a discussion of the latter here, but that would basically cut down on the very highest frequency sound.

Resistance in the line would tend to cause a smooth phase shift in the signal as the frequency goes up. That should normally be undetectable, but maybe... this might mess with imaging. The brain does use some phase information in imaging, but I don't know the details of how.

Jun 4, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #40 of 51
Jun 4, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #42 of 51
Evidence that the wire could have an effect on the sound.

On what specific part of my post did you want evidence? The frequency response? The resistance of small wires? The use of phase in stage? Can you be more specific?

Jun 4, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #43 of 51
Evidence that the wire could have an effect on the sound.

So certainly you agree with the idea that resistance by itself will reduce the voltage to the drivers and thus reduce the volume. So that is /an/ effect - just not a serious one because we can turn up the volume to compensate.

The more advanced issue I mentioned is phase information. Here's an article about it in a very good journal: https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.ps.42.020191.001031

FWIW, I don't own any fancy cables... I use stock cables because I think they're good enough. But I am simply explaining where the theoretical concerns lie.

Jun 4, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #44 of 51
Sorry. Fair enough. The article costs $32, so I'll take a pass on it. It has something to do with headphone sound localization. I suppose if there is more resistance in a cable not as much power will get to the drivers so that the volume will be reduced to some degree.

It is my understanding that phase shifts can indeed result in changes in sound imaging. I don't really think that as a general concept is arguable. So I get that.

I just don't know how to get from point A to point B. You are more expert in these things than I am. I am thinking you are setting forth a speculative hypothesis with the use of some tenuously linked concepts. Correct me if I am wrong.

Honestly, electricity confuses me. I know it is not like water. I don't even know why the wall switch works, other than the circuit is completed and allows the flow of electrons. Alternating current seems almost mystical to me.

So certainly you agree with the idea that resistance by itself will reduce the voltage to the drivers and thus reduce the volume. So that is /an/ effect - just not a serious one because we can turn up the volume to compensate.

The more advanced issue I mentioned is phase information. Here's an article about it in a very good journal: https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.ps.42.020191.001031

FWIW, I don't own any fancy cables... I use stock cables because I think they're good enough. But I am simply explaining where the theoretical concerns lie.

Jun 4, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #45 of 51
I'm skeptical of any headphone sound localization except for the strip of sound through the center of the skull. I think the way we perceive sound localization is very sophisticated and may be very difficult to reproduce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back