Cable braiding (Litz) : Just eye candy or significant audio advantage over twisted cable?
Dec 28, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #46 of 48
Actually, for audio, it is a myth and it is only seen in the consumer audio market. That is because the pros in pro audio already know better. Any engineer worth a salt would instantly spot this as a bogus marketing ploy. While Litz wires do have application in RF (and usually in the MHz and even GHz range), it has zero perceived benefit (except maybe placebo) in the audio range. That is because you'd have to be up near 20kHz to even begin to notice a difference, and even then it would only measurable as opposed to human perception.

Audiophiles are listening for one thing. Engineers (according to what you are saying) see cables only as a tool. A tool to achieve a needed outcome enabling them to manipulate what is heard with their board and various effect boxes. They are not listening for the finer nuances as an audiophile will.

Its like buying a car with its OEM tires. The engineers used those tires to adjust and design the car in a generalized way (unless its a high end automobile). A real car enthusiast will buy a car and end up changing the tires to something that will give him a road feel he will desire... Now tires, even if the OEM tires measured objectively to be the same.

Not everyone drives with the same sense for the road. Likewise, cables and wires.

One more time:

The status quo was shattered by the publication of several articles. In Japan it was Akihiko Kaneda at Akita University (1974) who argued that sound quality of a speaker/amplifier interface could be impacted by wire or cable. He suggested that this could be caused by the skin effect whereby current is progressively pushed to the skin layer of a conductor at increasing frequency, an effect made worse by the common practice at that time of tin-plating copper wire. Soon thereafter, in 1975, the late great Japanese audio critic, Saburo Egawa (1932–2015), practically started his audio career with the publication of listening test results showing sonic differences between different speaker cables. At Japan’s Mogami Cable, Koichi Hirabayashi was determined to prove Egawa wrong. But after extensive listening tests he became convinced that despite its apparent minimal theoretical effect over the audible bandwidth, skin effect does play a rather large role in perceived sonic differences. The end results of his research were the Mogami 2803 interconnect and 2804 speaker cable.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #47 of 48
What it was designed for was good. The "side benefits" for audio use was not what they had in mind.It eliminates a certain audible harshness that regular cables have... Many attribute that harshness to being electronics sound. I found Litz makes my solid state sound more tube like.

It can sound nicely airier. It just won't sound harsh (tizziness). Some of the harshness we hear typically comes from the naked strand effect of regular cabling that Litz overcame. That is why for certain applications audiophiles have looked to solid core cable as a preferred cable. (solid core does not have electrical interaction with other strands) .. Litz gives the best of both worlds. When using Litz that harshness is gone. The first impression could be that it sounds duller. But, it actually sound more like real music, less electronic, without the harshness. That's been mine and others experience.

This is not an endorsement... But Cardas HP cables are litz. Not simply braided. Smoothness is one trait. Q-Audio also offers Litz HP cables. http://www.q-audio.com/shopz/q-french-silk-tm-cable
Just wanted to let you know that I've created an account on this form explicitly to let you know that your description of Litz cables is 100% accurate, and to express my sincere gratitude for the information and background you provided here.
I only just recently got my hands on a pair of high-quality Litz cables, and I have to admit that I thought esoteric, or even alternative cable designs were complete humbug. After replacing my old cables to test the Litz cables, I was really surprised to discover that my high-end, very revealing system sounded completely different: Warmer, more focussed, and that last remaining bit of upper midrange/trebble sibilance that I was never able to get rid off - GONE. I came to this discovery completely unbiased, Litz cables simply never appeared on my radar before, and I stumbled across this thread only after trying to find out more about these new cables of mine. You are 100% correct about what you stated on the subject, and thanks for doing so.

Sep 30, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #48 of 48
Its not a myth. Come on. Stop, it. Maybe your headphones make no difference. But on audio equipment in general it removes the high frequency tizz and gives more precise imaging.My speakers sound amazingly accurate with litz. And, only like hi-fi without. But, if I had not so good speakers I am not sure what I would be hearing. We are assuming here that people are seeking the best sound they can get.

Its amazing... Certain people always pop up in all kinds of forums wanting to prevent others from discovering something that will add to their happiness. What's with these guys?

I think, they just dont want to spend money on your placebo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back