C421, iBasso D-Zero, Fiio E12, Headstage Arrow
Dec 29, 2012 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

zerocoolhifi

100+ Head-Fier
I will be powering my iPhone 4, DAC is not important, amp only, listen to mainly rock, many headphones but re-0, vsonic gr02 be, MTPG, x10, mh1c etc. I like the ones listed because of features, form factor and reviews I have read. Can anyone rate these mainly on SQ but other features will play a factor.

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #2 of 7
I cant yet comment on the ibasso models however im eager to try them! Again i also hear good things about Headstage. When comparing any of the Fiio models to C421, i am certain the c421 wins by quite a substantial margin.

There is a comparison here by the ever knowledgable ClieOS, that i find very helpful:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-11-8-amps-compared

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
I cant yet comment on the ibasso models however im eager to try them! Again i also hear good things about Headstage. When comparing any of the Fiio models to C421, i am certain the c421 wins by quite a substantial margin.

There is a comparison here by the ever knowledgable ClieOS, that i find very helpful:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/620775/the-sub-200-portable-amps-shootout-11-8-amps-compared

Yes, I have read that few times and it kept point me towards the C421 but I have read so many things good about the Headstage and now the E12 is coming as well (I could throw the E17 in there too but he likes the sound of the C421 better) that I would like to hear some comparisons of those. D-Zero is probably out. E12 us tough since I do not think it is out yet.

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #4 of 7
I think I have narrowed it down to the C421 or Arrow - can anyone compare the 2. Thanks,

Jan 1, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #5 of 7
the c421 has abit bigger soundstage and the arrow has this intimate feel when using it. feature-wise, the arrow trumps on the c421.

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 7
I, too, was in a similar situation a few months back.  I ended up buying both through the FS forum and kept the c421.  No specific reason, simply preferred the sound signature of the c421 over the Arrow.

And in the end, I regret to inform you, no one can make this decision for you.  They're your ears, you'll hear the two amps differently (SLIGHTLY) and you cannot go wrong with either.  They're both fantastic.  It's either vanilla or chocolate.  For you to believe, and then purchase as a result of, anyone's opinion, would be a fool's errand.

Unless buying both is an option, choose one based on features and make sure you enjoy it.  That's one bit of advice you can bank on.

Enjoy the music.

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 7
Allow me to add: I've since sold the Arrow, deciding on the c421 with the AD8620, knowing I enjoyed the AD8620 in a desktop rig I had in the past.  What I forgot was this was to be a portable amp = meaning "fun, not critical listening" amplifier.  So, I then sold the c421.

The one portable I've owned for years, the cmoy BB.  It's also made by JDS and has a OPA2227 opamp.  I like to crank the music on the way home, and that includes generous amounts of bass boost.  And the best part, it was only $40 when I bought it new.

Try it, you might like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back